Foods that shocked you

Replies

• ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    My dad wouldn't let me have ranch or mayo when I was a kid because he said it'd make me fat. I loved the stuff but stopped eating it when he said that.

I love peanut butter but 100 calories for a tbsp of anything is ridiculous.

There are crackers here called Salticrax (heh, the name is funny). I can and have eaten the whole box in one sitting. Just one sleeve of them is about 700 calories without cheese or anything on top.

And WATERMELON is killing me at the moment! I'll have a whole one over the course of a day or two- that's over 1000 calories to budget in.

And popcorn- we don't have the low cal options and I haven't been able to find paper bags for the life of me. Oil popped on the stove is about the only way to do it here. That's 400 calories easy, no butter.

Have you looked into buying a hot air popper for popcorn?
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    How many calories orange juice is.
    120kcal for one small glass. Whut?

That's nearly twice as much as an orange.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Cream cheese wontons! I freaking love those things.

Once I devoured 6, as an appetizer, and they are 189 calories- EACH.

I still eat them at Chinese buffets. But I only let myself eat one.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    All things in moderation.... Kids in particular have to be given a little room though. They are still growing. My daughter will complain from time to time how she is fat (she is well within her range)... At times she will get a little stomach pudge and then ...bam... 1" growth spurt and pudge is gone. We all have to remember that with kids... That being said, there IS a real problem with childhood obesity in this country (USA) but we also have a major problem with teenage anorexia and we do have to know when to say something and when not to.

As for the surprise factor? I sat down early in my journey to my typical Chili's meal of Beef Quesadillas and my share of the Skillet Queso... To my horror when I posted it in I saw it was like 1700 cals for the quesadillas and about 600 cals for my share of the Queso... My day was more than done in ONE MEAL.. OOOPS. I now have a different entree (salmon usually) and watch my intake on the queso... (My daughter loves it and won't hear of not orderin it)...
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    And this is why people are overweight. Not actually understanding the total calories for a food, drink, etc. has left people wondering why they gain weight.
    You can eat whatever you want, you just have to understand how to do it with limitations.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This = amazing. I couldn't agree more.
  • Deka61
    Deka61 Posts: 74
    Potatoes and Bread. My gran always told me that if I ate too much of those I'd end up like a house end. Very nearly did.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    *sigh* Everything......

Everything pretty much shocks me with the amount of calories..... I :heart: food.....
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Cosi Eggplant Flatbread sandwich...it was 1200 kcal! I was outraged. Grilled eggplant, roasted red peppers, lettuce, tomato, onion all fine...until the yummy olive tapanade spread! I hated myself and Cosi for DAYS after eating it.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Oatmeal and cereal.
  • Junk food junky, and 'quick foods' at that. Long ago, during a stint with weight watchers' point system, Pizza Rolls shocked me. The serving size itself was 6 pieces (if I remember right) and worth 18 points which roughly translates to 900ish calories for a 'just a quick dinner' serving at 24 pieces.

peanut butter, crackers, cheese, all the usual things yourself found crazy.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    I'm actually more sad that a 9-year-old would be horrified that something was fattening, and say they would "be fat forever," meaning they already think they are fat.

*sigh*

I can't stand ranch anymore, and usually never use any salad dressing at all now, but everything is fine in moderation. There are also several different tasty brands of light and no-fat ranch out there, if you look for and try them out.

That being said, nuts and various trail mixes always slay me with their calories, because I love them so much. lol
    I was thinking the same thing about the 9 year old....
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Bread and pasta. It's not that I'm shocked about the calories, I'm just sad about it. I miss a bowl full of noodles!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 378 Member
    I'm always more shocked by all the chemicals in commercial food. I can make my own ranch dressing without all the preservatives or whatever else they have to put in there to make it shelf stable. The older I get, the more that kind of grosses me out. I'd rather a balsamic vinaigrette with my salad. I'm generally ok with the calores from fat, but wouldn't down an entire jar of sunflower butter or anything. I don't let the fat calories from food stop me from eating them, but high fructose corn syrup? Red dye 40? Yeah, that stufff grosses me out.

Eh, we all have our *thing*. :-)

This is where I am - when I can't pronounce the ingredients or I know my great-great-grandmother never heard of the stuff, then I don't eat it.

Having a gluten-allergy limits what I can eat - like that red-devils food cake that is sitting in the breakroom. I used to gorge on things like that, but now, when I think about eating something like that, even a nibble, I instantly get a replay of how sick I get from the gluten and am quickly turned off to it. So having a gluten allergy is a real diet control mechanism, although a pain in the budget.

Peanut butter calories always blow my mind. Any fruit juice is going to be loaded with calories and I can't understand why they have to have HFCS added to them! Better to eat the fresh fruit. I carefully measure out OJ and then water it down a bit to fool myself into thinking I am getting more. :)

Someone mentioned that the fats in salad dressing helps in absorbing certain vitamins in the salad, and that may be true. I laugh when I see skim milk fortified with vitamin D. Unless you drink the milk while eating a food that has fat, you will not be able to absorb that vitamin D since vitamin D is fat soluble and needs fat to be absorbed. So putting vitamin D into skim milk is pretty silly.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Carolina chicken salad at Ruby Tuesday. They've changed it, but it used to be 2100 calories WITHOUT THE DRESSING.

Also, turkey pot pie stunned me when I saw how many calories were in it. I actually haven't had any since, and that was 4 years ago.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Cheese, olive oil, butter, and cashews. Oh how I love thee! Oh how I have to beware the portion sizes!
  • i was also shocked at the dressings. I love salads but rarely ever eat one now because of that. I can eat a whole lot of other stuff just in what calories and fat dressing has in it. I switched to light and then fat free and that didn't even work. They make up the calories in sugar and i have to watch my sugar. Its a never ending battle with salad dressings.. In the last 4 months of using this website I have been totally shocked at the results of alot of foods. We just don't have a clue until u start entering it in and then u go in shock. I have learned to enter my food in before I eat so I can make changes. Too late after u eat it LOL
  • My dad wouldn't let me have ranch or mayo when I was a kid because he said it'd make me fat. I loved the stuff but stopped eating it when he said that.

I love peanut butter but 100 calories for a tbsp of anything is ridiculous.

There are crackers here called Salticrax (heh, the name is funny). I can and have eaten the whole box in one sitting. Just one sleeve of them is about 700 calories without cheese or anything on top.

And WATERMELON is killing me at the moment! I'll have a whole one over the course of a day or two- that's over 1000 calories to budget in.

And popcorn- we don't have the low cal options and I haven't been able to find paper bags for the life of me. Oil popped on the stove is about the only way to do it here. That's 400 calories easy, no butter.

Try Popcorn Indiana in a red bag - 3 cups = 130 calories
  • knosmo
    knosmo Posts: 5 Member
    Definitely nuts and/or nut butters. They are so good, and a reasonable portion seems SO small (granted I am working on re-evaluating what a reasonable portion is, so bear with the just starting out and still fat girl.)
  • The brownie skillet at Pizza Delight. I ordered it once for my cheat meal (lol I know, I know) and looked up the calories on my phone while I waited for it. I literally nearly fell over in my seat, 700 calories in a brownie and scoop of ice cream with whipped cream and chocolate drizzle. I don't get the whipped cream and drizzle (not because I fool myself into thinking that makes it less horrible for me, I just don't like the stuff) but still, 700 calories? For a dessert!! Just made me think about all the times we ate out and I automatically got dessert. 700 calories on top of an already fatty, calorie-laden meal? No wonder I was quickly approaching 200lbs...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    5 guys veggie sandwich...it's a bun with some veggies on it to the tune of 440 calories...how is that possible???