Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    1001, 1002...

tumblr_ligynr8puG1qi76lno1_400.png

This is making me hot.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I try to hit biceps in various ways each training session with proper form and effort.
    Optimal health and peak fitness is no accident.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's decided then. When i get home, i'm going to curl in the fkn squat rack and reflect on how funny I'm not being.

Awesome sauce!! Sounds like fun! Make sure you post a pic so we can ALL reflect on the non-hilarity with you. :bigsmile:

you be careful what you wish for! :bigsmile:

if i took pics, I would make sure to put on my knee sleeves, lifting belt, wrist wraps, and chalk up for it. maybe give myself a big pep talk before jumpin in to the set. i guess this would be better as a video than a mere pic!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I'd just like to know if anyone has actually ever SEEN anyone curling in the squat rack?

Yep - I have seen it a lot. I don't care unless I want to use the squat rack to actually...well, squat!

I also saw someone benching in it the other day and then they started doing BB hip thrusts in it....no idea why.

I think people just do stuff in the squat rack because that's where a barbell is sitting and they don't think it's putting anyone out. I hope.

That said, calf raises in the squat rack bugs me. I don't know why. It just really does.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's decided then. When i get home, i'm going to curl in the fkn squat rack and reflect on how funny I'm not being.

Awesome sauce!! Sounds like fun! Make sure you post a pic so we can ALL reflect on the non-hilarity with you. :bigsmile:

if i took pics, I would make sure to put on my knee sleeves, lifting belt, wrist wraps, and chalk up for it. maybe give myself a big pep talk before jumpin in to the set. i guess this would be better as a video than a mere pic!

Your onesie, too. (I can NEVER remember the name for lifting onesies, it's like hole in my brain)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Your onesie, too. (I can NEVER remember the name for lifting onesies, it's like hole in my brain)

He also needs to put some appropriate muzak on to get him all pumped up!

And Bean - the word I think you are striving for but failing with is a singlet (or a unitard :tongue: )
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Correct! Pronation and supination...basically twisting your wrist lol. Very little of the force your biceps exerts is used for curling...and if you force more than its designed for...you'll rip it right off your forearm.

The isolated function of the bicep is Elbow Flexion. What is a curl? - Elbow Flexion.

Odd, all of my substantial research while I was recovering from my major biceps surgery, along with the repeated explanations of my sports ortho surgeon say you are incorrect.

Here's a little experiment for you. Put your arm down your side, palm facing forward. Relax it completely while maintaining the palm forward position. Place two fingers of your other hand into your biceps peak with moderate force. Now, without consciously 'flexing'...bend your elbow until your forearm is roughly 90* to your upper arm (palm should be facing upwards now). Lower it. You will immediately notice no change in the tension of your biceps. It's NOT FLEXING, at all.

Now, place your arm in the opposite position (extended with palm facing back), fingers of your other hand on the peak of your biceps. Bend it 90* again, your palm should be facing down. Maintain the bend while rotating your wrist until your palm faces up.

Amazing, your biceps has now flexed...probably substantially, because over 75% of it has been utilized in its intended function. Which is clearly twisting your wrist. Less than 25% of your biceps strength goes into elbow flexion (some argue as much as 40%...I believe it's probably genetic differences in test subjects, i.e. the connection point of the tendon etc). I'm sorry, but its a fact.

As for the compound/iso argument...I've got to agree with Sarah. There's been little to no 'bashing'. I personally believe iso's are unnecessary for a complete and balanced physique (unless you're competing)...that doesn't mean they're useless (I've clearly stated more than once that I've used them in the past for various purposes). No, the guy who wrote SL5x5 didn't teach me this. Nor did any other single source. Examples of physiques built with the types of lifts I perform are the inspiration for my lift program. Not 'kool aid', sorry to say.

In the end, if you have the time and inclination...do them. If not, as long as you target the muscle group in some kind of exercise, who cares?

To the OP...thanks for the entertaining read my friend :).
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love bicep curls. I cant barbell squat due to some shoulder abnormality with limited ROM. And my balance isn't great at the moment due to CNS problems. I need to hold something to lunge properly. So whatever works! And no I don't use the machine to bicep curl:)

ETA I have a new PT I started seeing twice a week getting me to do different things. Just need to get more confident :)
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I prefer dumbells to the barbell, but I'm at 25 lbs each hand and can do 3 reps. I laugh a bit, but several months ago I could barely do 20 lb at 3 reps, so i'm happy. I do both compound and isolation lifts.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    40 ounces....almost daily

We have a winner.

/thread
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I think because there's been a lot of research regarding building strength over the last few years and there is more focus on compound lifts for building strength. If you look at Barbell Rows and Chin-Up's there is considerable bicep recruitment in those exercises, which reduces the need for much more curling be it barbell or dumbbell. I curl maybe once a week if I feel like doing them and for the purpose of maintaining muscle balance but otherwise I really don't worry about doing them. Regarding my workouts I, BB row 2x a week, DB row once a week, and do pull-ups/chin-ups at least twice a week. My best curl ever is 125lbs on a short oly bar for a single, but I haven't worked up to a heavy single in about a year. I can curl 95lbs for 8 reps. For arm development I actually concern myself more with my tricep development because it more directly impacts my bench strength, OHP strength, and affects more upper arm mass than the bicep does (for vanity purposes LOL). For that I like doing weighted dips and repetition effort dumbbell pressing.

Edit: Not that I'm a fan of doing a lot of isolation work, but I feel like my upper arm appearance has improved more from doing iso-work on my anterior deltoids (yes, shoulder).
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Holy poop! This thread blew up into awesome when I wasn't looking!!!

This is better than back to back law and order episodes!!
  • Embooya
    Embooya Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Concentration Curls, Hammer Curls and Preacher Curls are a staple to developing big arms PERIOD..!!
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i use the 20lb and do about 2 reps of 10 for each arm
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    i curl in the sguat cage because i curl an olympic bar with weights on it. that is the safest place to be as the bar is too wide to be anywhere else!!!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Concentration Curls, Hammer Curls and Preacher Curls are a staple to developing big arms PERIOD..!!

I switch up my bicep workouts every Monday and I do all 3 of these.
  • FRANKTANK79
    FRANKTANK79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I curl twice a week, on back day and on tricep/bicep day. Mix it up.. iso/concentration movements.
  • JNick77
    Options

I switch up my bicep workouts every Monday and I do all 3 of these.

About 2 or 3 years ago there was an article posted about a study done using an EMG (I believe that's what it was called at least) to determine which exercises create the greatest peak contraction of various muscle groups. For the biceps, the exercise creating the largest peak contraction was the chin-up, Preacher/Scot Curl was number 5 I believe and barbell curl was further down the list. Obviously there are benefits to using various bicep exercises but for somebody interested in just strength development and/or training efficiency curling is not necessary.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump......because I still do not know what happened to the bicep curl. I am thinking colonel mustard in the ballroom
  • JNick77
    Options
    Bump......because I still do not know what happened to the bicep curl. I am thinking colonel mustard in the ballroom

It was actually Mrs. White, in the Conservatory, with the Rope. Sorry to spoil the ending for ya'.