Foods that shocked you

Options

Replies

• Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey. People always touted it as some miracle alternative to ground beef, but it's no more better than 93/7 ground beef.

That's why you buy 99% lean ground turkey.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I think when you overeat you're kinda in denial over the calorie content of absolutely EVERYTHING. I never used to look at the content of things, particularly on a binge, but then I'd look at the content of my favourite cookies or ice-cream and just feel sick that so little food contained so much fat. I eat very little processed foods now, just about everything I eat is fresh and homemade so I know exactly what I'm eating and am not tricked by innocent looking bad foods.
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    Options
    I'm on the "everything" bandwagon. I was the one that said "I'll NEVER count calories... I love food too much." Well, here I am counting my calories. I'm getting more food with fewer calories with healthier foods, but I still eat the foods I love in moderation.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey. People always touted it as some miracle alternative to ground beef, but it's no more better than 93/7 ground beef.

That's why you buy 99% lean ground turkey.

That's taking it too far :cry:
  • zumbachelle
    zumbachelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My dad wouldn't let me have ranch or mayo when I was a kid because he said it'd make me fat. I loved the stuff but stopped eating it when he said that.

I love peanut butter but 100 calories for a tbsp of anything is ridiculous.

There are crackers here called Salticrax (heh, the name is funny). I can and have eaten the whole box in one sitting. Just one sleeve of them is about 700 calories without cheese or anything on top.

And WATERMELON is killing me at the moment! I'll have a whole one over the course of a day or two- that's over 1000 calories to budget in.

And popcorn- we don't have the low cal options and I haven't been able to find paper bags for the life of me. Oil popped on the stove is about the only way to do it here. That's 400 calories easy, no butter.
    You can air pop popcorn in the microwave...brown paper bag, popcorn kernels and just stand at the dorr waiting for popping to slow. you never get it all cooked but it's airpopped all the same!
  • befitbre
    befitbre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There's a S'mores milkshake at Steak and Shake that my husband had ordered once, and when we got up to the counter to pay the girl at the register told us how many calories were in one--over 2000! She said she was so upset when she found out, because she had drank FOUR the day before!

What's really shocked me was the packets of Martha White muffin mix, I used to use a whole packet as an easy waffle mix to pour onto the waffle iron! 160 calories per serving, and 6 servings a packet!

Oh, and gin. An ounce of gin is like 80 calories. Good thing I rarely drink.
  • Teachinjen
    Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Carolina chicken salad at Ruby Tuesday. They've changed it, but it used to be 2100 calories WITHOUT THE DRESSING.

Also, turkey pot pie stunned me when I saw how many calories were in it. I actually haven't had any since, and that was 4 years ago.

You can make a yummy healthy chicken or turkey pot pie.........Mine were under 400 calories for a serving.......and delish....I put the link below that I posted a while ago........

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777074-oh-my-goodness-healthy-chicken-pot-pie
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Bagels. Such a waste of calories!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Chinese fried rice (or ANY Chinese food, for that matter). I love it, but it's loaded with calories!
  • ZombieFoodSlayer
    Options
    And this is why people are overweight. Not actually understanding the total calories for a food, drink, etc. has left people wondering why they gain weight.
    You can eat whatever you want, you just have to understand how to do it with limitations.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

True that!!
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Tortillas shocked me - I suppose they're thin but dense!
    Fruit juice did also, which is a shame as a non-drinker - I would have several glasses on a night out instead of alcohol, but no longer :frown:
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Granola....real shock.

I agree, and nuts in general.

YES NUTS!!
  • LButterfly201
    Options
    Granola and peanut butter.. Yummy, but some days i can't justify such calories!!
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into buying a hot air popper for popcorn?

I've just started seeing them available online in South Africa but I haven't found them in any shops yet. Our postal service is notorious for "losing" packages so I'm waiting to see it in the shops.

I'm going back to the US for a few months in 2013 & I'm excited about the availability of all the things I can't get in SA. :)

I'm sure this has been mentioned: but put the kernels in a brown paper bag and pop into the microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes. You have to watch it carefully, or it WILL burn. Works like a charm.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Nothing that I love really shocks me... I know it'll be high in calories because it's so dang yummy - take REAL macaroni and cheese for example. Or delicious mashed potatoes... most of what makes mashed potatoes amazing is high in calories (like cream).

I was pleasantly surprised at how FEW calories pickles have!

I make mash with light marg, light sour cream and skimmed milk. Tastes yummy but less cals and fat. :)

Also try a low sodium chicken broth. Emphasis on the LOW. And flavor it with herbs and spices.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Panera sandwiches. A couple of their chicken sandwiches had over 50g of fat last time I chrcked. How the heck do you hide 50 g of fat in a chicken sandwich that's not even fried???
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Nuts, olive oil and peanut butter!
  • Katfor508
    Options
    Sodium in deli meats, they might be less fat but damn , I usually go for the boar head or less sodium brands.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Honey-roasted cashews, anyone? 1200 calories a can, and - trust me on this one - I could eat the whole can without thinking about it.
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches!!! Sad.