Don't get too fit or you can be fired!

Options
NormalSaneFLGuy
NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/12/27/yelp-users-slam-dentist-who-fired-his-assistant-for-being-irresistible/?test=latestnews

Some quotes from the article:

"Melissa Nelson, a 32-year-old married mother of two, had worked for James Knight for 10 years, and he considered her a stellar worker. But in the final months of her employment, he complained that her tight clothing was distracting -- once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing, according to the Supreme Court opinion."

and

"On Dec. 21, the court ruled 7-0 that bosses can fire employees they see as an "irresistible attraction," even if the employees have not engaged in flirtatious behavior or otherwise done anything wrong."

Replies

• NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Every woman on here should write an e-mail in complaint. The courts are killing your human rights.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    this is Nucking Futz!!! I cant believe what I am reading here.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    What I take out of that is this: Don't wear tight and/or revealing clothing to work.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you read the story carefully you'll see that the dentist asked his assistant not to wear such revealing clothing and she wouldn't dress in a less provocative manner.

So yeah. Fire the assistant, save your marriage. It's as easy as that.

If the woman had any common sense she could have dressed more conservatively and still been attractive, and then looked for another job. Just because you have 'it' doesn't mean that a professional office is where you should flaunt it, even if you have been working there for 10 years.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    What I take out of that is this: Don't wear tight and/or revealing clothing to work.

Too bad that's not what their decision said nor what the legal precedent this case will set.
    You can take anything out of it you want, but you have to step back and realize what the long term effects will be.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    Options
    sure, dont let your "girls" hang out at work.. but if you have worked hard for the body you have, and cant wear tight form-fitting work attire then that is ridiculous... I am not going to kill myself to get the best body I can only to wear baggy pants and a t-shirt.
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If she had a right to wear it, then he had a right to fire her. Isn't that what democracy is all about? Didn't we fight for equal rights?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's very much the opposite where I work.

I work with a lot of older women. And they all seem to like it when I wear tight clothing. In fact they've started to request it. They make comments when I'm at the water cooler. Some of the supervisors call me into their office.. and make me shut the door.

Sometimes at night... I cry.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    So yeah. Fire the assistant, save your marriage. It's as easy as that.

Seriously? If this guy can't control himself, how is getting rid of one attractive woman from his life going to save his marriage? Would you want to stay married to a man who had zero self control? It is HIS responsibility to not cheat on his wife, it's not the responsibility of women to protect him from himself.

If you want to be in a committed relationship, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to stay committed and faithful.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    Options
    if anything what I gather from the article is that he has a problem with sexual harassment and is guilty of it at his workplace.. that is just me though.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

I work with a lot of older women. And they all seem to like it when I wear tight clothing. In fact they've started to request it. They make comments when I'm at the water cooler. Some of the supervisors call me into their office.. and make me shut the door.

I'm one of his bosses :wink:
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

I'm the one with my ear pressed up against the door.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I saw that a few days ago and I just can't comprehend it. So apparently it's our fault if the men around us can't control their own actions. Unbelievable! That's the same thing as saying it's the woman's fault for getting raped because she was attractive. There is a lot that isn't discussed in the article but the main idea to me seems to be that it's a womans fault for being a woman and men don't have to take any responsibility or control their own thoughts and actions.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

And she's a very good boss......

I'll admit she made me post this! *hides in the corner*
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    if anything what I gather from the article is that he has a problem with sexual harassment and is guilty of it at his workplace.. that is just me though.

It's not just you. It's me, too! I agree.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    The response I read from the assistant in question was that she wore round neck tshirts or long sleeved tshirts and scrubs...

don't know about you guys but scrubs are hardly revealing or tight fitting!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I think that if her boss had told her that her clothes were inappropriate and she continued to wear them then that would be grounds for dismissal. Also if there was a dress code posted and her clothes were violating their workplace policy then dismissal would be acceptable. Just for being hot and distracting....uh no that aint right.
  • psfr
    psfr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If she had a right to wear it, then he had a right to fire her. Isn't that what democracy is all about? Didn't we fight for equal rights?

It's a right to fire someone? So I can fire my employees who have different spiritual or political beliefs than I have? I can fire someone for being gay? Straight? For belonging to a certain church? For not going to church? For wearing a ponytail? For eating sushi?
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/12/27/yelp-users-slam-dentist-who-fired-his-assistant-for-being-irresistible/?test=latestnews

Some quotes from the article:

"Melissa Nelson, a 32-year-old married mother of two, had worked for James Knight for 10 years, and he considered her a stellar worker. But in the final months of her employment, he complained that her tight clothing was distracting -- once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing, according to the Supreme Court opinion."

and

"On Dec. 21, the court ruled 7-0 that bosses can fire employees they see as an "irresistible attraction," even if the employees have not engaged in flirtatious behavior or otherwise done anything wrong."

Why are you misquoting this?

It's not the US Supreme Court.. it's an IOWA court (all male by the way, our supreme court thankfully has 3 women on it)

Second, the firing was related to "irresistable attraction". Employees are required to dress in certain ways (think uniforms, business suits, etc..) and if you walk in looking like a homeless guy or you walk in with your boobs handing out, they have a right to tell you to dress differently. And, if you want to keep your job, you'll do as they say.

Additionally, the court ruled the way it did because his wife ask that she be fired, and they believe that he has the ability to honor that relationship and listen to his wife.

That said, this dentist sounds like a total creeper and if I'm sure he's sexually harassed plenty of women. He should probably be thrown in jail.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Dress provacative and wear tight form-fitting clothing on your own time, you have 16 hours of the day to do that. When someone is paying you to do a job, they have the right to set a standard of work attire.
This discussion has been closed.