Don't get too fit or you can be fired!

Options

Replies

• marykeblom
    Options
    It's very much the opposite where I work.

I work with a lot of older women. And they all seem to like it when I wear tight clothing. In fact they've started to request it. They make comments when I'm at the water cooler. Some of the supervisors call me into their office.. and make me shut the door.

Sometimes at night... I cry.

WAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am sorry about my paranoid response to this topic... I guess I see things that everyone else cannot see...

Is it me or is sexual harassment always wrong?

Or let me put it this way, if I must maintain self control in the work place at all times, then why should it be any different for this dentist...
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am sickened by the amount of women that think this is ok!!! This makes me SO MAD. Honestly, if you can't control your urges around attractive women, perhaps you shouldn't be allowed in public at all. What if he has attractive patients? What if his next door neighbor is attractive? I don't care if a woman is walking down the street in lingerie...if you don't have the self control to stay away, you really shouldn't' be married. I hate people that think that men can't control their sexual urges and we're the ones that are supposed to protect their marriage by wearing a potato sack. Seriously, this guy is a complete jerk. To me, the real story is that he wanted her, she was naive and thought it was all jokes, then his wife found out and ordered that she be fired. This guy is full of crap.
    this..
    women in workplace has much to fight for without moral policing and arbitrary firing..ugly women finding it hard to be hired ...are also a reality..
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Those Supreme Court Justices should be impeached, convicted, and removed from office...

I have seen some ridiculous court decisions and that one is the worst...

This court decision could be used to justify rape and sexual harassment... I say this because some Supreme Court decisions can have very broad implications... That is some sick rapist or sexual harasser could say that he had done an act of rape or sexual harassment because he found a woman to be irresistible...
    i agree, coming from a conservative Asian community i am astonished at this judgement coming from the land of freedom and liberty.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Seems legit, could have easily been avoided.
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If she had a right to wear it, then he had a right to fire her. Isn't that what democracy is all about? Didn't we fight for equal rights?

It's a right to fire someone? So I can fire my employees who have different spiritual or political beliefs than I have? I can fire someone for being gay? Straight? For belonging to a certain church? For not going to church? For wearing a ponytail? For eating sushi?

Depends on what state you are in and what your Right To Work laws are- but in a sense yes you can. You can fire them for "not fitting the corporate image"
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you read the story carefully you'll see that the dentist asked his assistant not to wear such revealing clothing and she wouldn't dress in a less provocative manner.

So yeah. Fire the assistant, save your marriage. It's as easy as that.

If the woman had any common sense she could have dressed more conservatively and still been attractive, and then looked for another job. Just because you have 'it' doesn't mean that a professional office is where you should flaunt it, even if you have been working there for 10 years.

AGREE! Not like it's difficult! A place where patents heads are at your bust area all day is not the place to be wearing tight or revealing stuff!
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you read the story carefully you'll see that the dentist asked his assistant not to wear such revealing clothing and she wouldn't dress in a less provocative manner.

So yeah. Fire the assistant, save your marriage. It's as easy as that.

If the woman had any common sense she could have dressed more conservatively and still been attractive, and then looked for another job. Just because you have 'it' doesn't mean that a professional office is where you should flaunt it, even if you have been working there for 10 years.

AGREE! Not like it's difficult! A place where patents heads are at your bust area all day is not the place to be wearing tight or revealing stuff!

A roll neck jumper/top with jeans could be described as tight, are you seriously saying that is inappropriate. I notice there is no mention of him having supporting evidence from patients/clients that what she was wearing was inappropriate. He should take responsibility for himself, too many people in this world willing to excuse/defemd others for rubbish like this.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This has been a huge hot button issue around here (I live in Iowa) and Iowa is a Right to Work state and you can essentially be fired for anything here. The dentist did it essentially to save his marriage because he knew that he couldn't control himself eventually and would have an affair with her.

I guess we'd need to all put ourselves in the shoes of the wife that WORKED in the same office with her husband dentist and the dental assistant and see how it would feel to know that was going on and what you'd want your husband to do. You'd probably want your husband to control himself and save your marriage. And for this guy, it was to fire her.

I for one, applaud the Iowa Supreme Court for standing up for marriage/families.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The bulging pants thing? Eww. Unless she was running around in a bikini, he's just a creep.

And this quote: "While there was really no fault on the part of Mrs. Nelson, it was just as clear the decision to terminate her was not related to the fact that she was a woman." Um...seems kind of like that had a lot to do with it. If she had acted the same but was a guy, he wouldn't have fired her because he wouldn't have been tempted to start an affair. It has everything to do with the fact she was a woman.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    While I am troubled that someone was fired for being hot... Totally uncool. IF your mode of dress is not appropriate for the workplace you need to update your professional attire.

I always took my earring out when I was working.
    I wore a tie if the professional attire/dress code at work called for it (and I HATE wearing a tie)
    I wore dress shoes instead of sneakers if that was the norm.

It was my job, and it was 40 hours a week. Then I went home put on Jeans, my earring and leather jacket and went out and spent the money I earned by working in a professional setting.

Thankfully I work in IT now and I can wear jeans and sneakers. I've long since stopped wearing an earring.

and...

Seriously? If this guy can't control himself, how is getting rid of one attractive woman from his life going to save his marriage? Would you want to stay married to a man who had zero self control? It is HIS responsibility to not cheat on his wife, it's not the responsibility of women to protect him from himself.

If you want to be in a committed relationship, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to stay committed and faithful.

How is this different from throwing out all the tempting food when you are trying to lose weight?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    It's very much the opposite where I work.

I work with a lot of older women. And they all seem to like it when I wear tight clothing. In fact they've started to request it. They make comments when I'm at the water cooler. Some of the supervisors call me into their office.. and make me shut the door.

Sometimes at night... I cry.

I'm one of his bosses :wink:

I'm the one with my ear pressed up against the door.

I'm the one with the silk ties that bind him to the chair. :smokin:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Dress provacative and wear tight form-fitting clothing on your own time, you have 16 hours of the day to do that. When someone is paying you to do a job, they have the right to set a standard of work attire.
    ^This
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't see how the argument that the dentist would have an affair with her could stand, considering she basically said he's ugly/creepy! As they say, it takes two to Tango, and Nelson didn't fancy the music that was playing!

If there's a problem with work clothing, then just say something to her. However, the dentist admitted to simply going straight to firing her simply due to the fact he couldn't keep the relationship professional and just HAD to text her about personal things. He should have known better.

If that was in the UK, the dentist would have been shafted by the court, as is right.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    What I take out of that is this: Don't wear tight and/or revealing clothing to work.

THIS^^
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    *EDIT* Quirkytizzy cannot work the reply button today. Fully edited answer below.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You'd probably want your husband to control himself and save your marriage. And for this guy, it was to fire her.

Yes, I would. And I would want him to do it by not going the "GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN, YOU WILEY WOMAN OF TEMPTRESS BOOBIES ENCASED IN LEGALLY APPROPRIATE ATTIRE!"

Seems to me you have a pretty poor confidence in your husband's ability to "control himself" if the only way you think he can do it is by sending away every pretty lady he sees.....

My bf doesn't need to "save" our relationship when he sees a hot chick. He just needs to not put his d*** inside her. Seems simple enough to do without resorting to drastic measures.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    So I suppose people won't agree with me, which is fine, but it sounds like this guy needs to put in place a dress code. My work has it, and I can get in trouble for not following it, and I could get fire if I refuse to follow it after getting in trouble. It's a shame it came to this, but if her boss told her to dress better, although it certainly sounds like he could have gone about it in a better way, she should have done what she was told. She works in an office where the customers see her. I work for an insurance company...no one sees me and I have rules to follow. So that's my thought...it's sad it came to this, but as her boss, he has the right to set rules for how his employees dress in his office. Though geez...sleezy if he really made the comments about his pants bulging...eww....
  • Mishi1369
    Options
    I only got three pages in, so I apologize if this was said, but the reason she lost the suit was because she sued him under "sexual discrimination" which it was not. She was not fired because she was a woman, she was fired because she was "irristable" to her boss but a man could have easily have been just as "irristable."

Therefore if she lives in a right to work state (which is sounds like she does) it doesn't really matter why she was fired, he doesn't need to give a reason as long as it isn't a protected reason, which it wasn't.

So yes, these people are not good people. However, fight the "right to work" statutes, thats the problem.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I for one, applaud the Iowa Supreme Court for standing up for marriage/families.

What a load of rubbish. What about the marriage and family of ms Nelson who now has no job.

Nowhere has there been any evidence she dressed provocatively, only that the dentist and his wife didn't trust him.if she was jealous of their friendship why didn't she do more to befriend ms Nelson.
This discussion has been closed.