WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Dee dee
    To me it looks like your not eating enough for your activities. If your losing when your eating heavy calories and not on low calories.

Deb A
    I have my pedometer on today i'm @ 3,000 steps @ 11 am.I'll keep tracking my calories in here.
    Low fat cheese is higher in salt content than the regular cheese it's a no win situation.
    My niece uses some kinds of protein on her veg that taste like cheese. She uses it on her veg dishes

tigress
    Little ones put a special meaning to Christmas. There's nothing wrong with learning with gramma teach him how to cook his dad will like that. lol.

Wess
    Chuck yesterday to the way side. Be good today and those reese's will never have taken place.

There went and got my soup on and it's smelling good already. Boiled chicken to make cabbage rolls this afternoon. 4 breast one for soup. I added greek spice, roasted red pepper spice, celery salt and it smells yummy so going to get my veg. today. Going to put a bunch of nappa cabbage in there. So it will be calorie friendly. Also put in a bag of frozen veg. and waiting for my garden tomatoes to thaw enough to skin.

My pedometer is working fine going to try for 6,000 steps today. And gradually work it up to 10,000.

Make it a great day. If not later see you all tomorrow.
    Linda

Wess
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Official notice...today I will keep my sticky fingers out of the candy, mixed nuts and cookie plates my mother has artfully placed around the house. Sigh. If I don't start, I'm ok. It's moderation that I just don't do well.

Today is our last day in the city. DD goes on the plane this eve and we drive home tomorrow. I'm looking forward to being in my own place.

Yesterday we went to see Les Mis, oh sigh, what a great show. Today we have J'boy's choice - The Hobbit, 3D. A change of pace, for sure.

Hoping everyone is happy and relaxed, no regrets if there was holiday indulgence, just moving forward.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies--

Don't have time to post much but wanted to let you know I'm still alive :laugh: :laugh:

I have totally fallen off the wagon and still have tooooooooo many goodies in the house. :grumble: :grumble:

I feel bad but have not tried to watch what I eat at all. I will get back on track totally after the holidays are over. :blushing: :blushing:

DH never misses work but stayed home today. He either has a bad cold or sinus infection. :sick:

My sister, Jill, is still here and will go home on Jan. 9th. It's great having her here and she was a BIG help baking and getting all the dinners on the table. The rest of my Ohio family are leaving today.

Must go for now.

Micki
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,113 Member
    Options
    Me too----not a lot to say today. Busy around the house. We're having the light snow here in Central Iowa that Meg talked about over in the Nebraska area yesterday. We have big chunky patches of ice on the roads and sidewalks and this light snow is making it really SLICK out there. I'm happy to be indoors (I believe I'm to the age that I'd break rather than bounce if I take a fall).

I'm sorry if I mislead anyone----I have had chronic sinus problems, sinus infections, sinusitis and allergies pretty much my entire adult life. They are much better since I quit work. I've not had an actual infection for at least 5 years. And I'm able to breathe just fine through my nose. My head and eyes just get swollen, my nose runs more than usual and I get a bit of a headache and dizziness. So overall not that bad. The hot lemon water is helping. I do not take any over the counter drugs for anything unless it's an emergency.

(Now I'm climbing on my soapbox) For everyone who may have eaten things they are not happy with----STOP OBSESSING!! Today is a new day, you can do the right thing starting right now. Treat yourself to better health this coming year. The vitamin F is keeping me going. :heart: :heart:

Hugs to everyone. Drink that water :drinker: and PUT DOWN THOSE SALTY & SWEET TREATS!!! :flowerforyou:

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    :blushing: ok I have to confess to continuing to be a slug...and not logging...I have had some goodies but not as bad as last year...a taste tastes good but more than that does upset my stomach...I am going to count that as a victory....I really am desperate here! :laugh:

Monday I am in the new office and my routine will be back...am still on vacation at home and am enjoying relaxing napping and reading and this weekend lots of college football, my favorite.

I hope all that are feeling lousy feel better soon!:flowerforyou:

Hugs and high fives
    :heart:
    Jen
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ok, jb,
    i took the bait-- here we go!

Should all the calories we consumed at Christmas Party time,

Those extra cookies, cakes, and pies, and that extra bottle of wine;

Be on their way, they’re out of here, not sticking to my thighs---

I’m back on track, I’m working out, and making choices WISE!

For all my friends at 50+, I wish you all that’s fine,

We’ll log our food, and chat and sing, drink our water, not the wine!

For MFP and 50+, for health and exercise,

We’ll drink a glass of water clear, and toast those pounds good-bye!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Janie :flowerforyou:
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Another newbie here -- also an RN!

I have the time off between Christmas and New Year's (working for a university has its perks), and spent this morning watching the snow fall...and this afternoon it's melting away already.

Two kids, one married (and moving to New Jersey in February *sigh* but a good opportunity), and the other stationed in Germany until 2015 (not sure when he'll get to visit; hope I can this year). It'll just be me and the hubs and (what seems to be) never-ending foster puppies.

I was actually fairly good over Christmas; didn't lose any, but didn't gain any, either.

My plans for the next few days are to set up an Etsy store...have to downsize some of my vintage stuff and I have too much fabric. :)
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Katla
    Isn't that great to see someone happy in there job. Take the compliments you earned them.

Sue
    Yes need the fruit and veg. I need to get to groceries for soup makings. I find that the best way to get my veg.

Smwert
    So you must be in Southern Ontario. Because no snow in awhile up north here. Don't you feel good for getting out and walking.

Annie
    Life back to normal will be great.

Lucy
    I can't picture myself with children out of town. I always say i'm blessed to have all my three boys settled in our home town.
    That's what this site is for Venting.

Robin
    I think yu have the cuttest reindeer of the seven yours make eight.

Lin
    Sorry to hear you got the Christmas bug. But see your caring for it the old fashion way. I always say a common cold last 7 days.

Wess
    I imagine most of us could say guilty to that.

Linda S
    Down the lemon it should help in more ways than one.

Glenda
    Wanting the healthy food is just a reminder of how far you have come.

Meg
    I need to go shopping to. Need veg. for soup. I love birds but my two little dogs won't have them. So I go to a friends in the country and share hers over coffee.

Melody
    If your looking for help and inspiration this is the place to be.

Jane
    I will settled for soft fluffy snow don't need blizzard.

There that's page 13 done will be back to do page 14 after coffee and a bit of housework. And will pick up my veg. for soup while up town for coffee. Going to make today a good good day. Need to get my b/s readings down. So need some healthy eating and exercise for that.

Going to do like yesterday get out on the corner where hubby goes for coffee and walk to the Legion where I go for coffee. Not a big walk but it's a start.

Linda C
    Thank you Linda for validating my rant! I am feeling much better today. My co-workers just surprised me with a cake for my 60th birthday and everyone sang. We don't exchange gifts here and don't really recognize birthdays either, so I was touched. It's almost 3:00, so I will be done for the day. Looking forward to the weekend! Have a Happy New Year everyone!
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello and good day to all of the ladies here,
    I’m dogsitting, Phoenix arrived at 9 am this morning and caught me in my bathrobe (silly me, when someone says 10, I assume they mean 10). He is a sweet little terrier and my two dogs took to him right away I have him for a week so we’ll see how long it takes him to get comfortable and play with everyone. Cat has gone into hiding again!

Welcome SmilingRN, glad to have you here, pop in and chat often. We have quite a number of nurses and teachers here. But everyone is so supportive and will offer whatever advice you want to ask for. Or just sit back and give you unqualified support in your journey – your choice….

Kate – your Christmas sounded really fine. Family is so important at Christmas (and all year of course).

Linda C – didn’t realize you were from Cochrane – spent some time in NO and have been through your town quite a few times – what no snow? When you say you want to go to the city for shopping – which one do you head to?

DeeDee – being busy sometimes means less time to cook and eat properly. I tend to grab things on the go and regret it later. I’m hoping to get through the holidays within a couple of pounds of my lowest weight so far and then hit it seriously again in January.

Deb A – what is the theory behind “protein chunking”?

Aww Cheryl – don’t beat yourself up about the PB mins and the breakfast, stuff happens and it’s just a couple of extra exercise sessions. I’m with you on the soft body bit – I’ve got my exercise mat out and I’m going to get the old bod toned up ASAP.

JaneH – I really like your attitude about the lifestyle change and how “failure” sometimes is just a minor fall to pick ourselves up from. Wow, I didn’t know rats chewed on car wires – glad that hasn’t happened to me as I am terrified of rats but really wouldn’t like to have to deal with a dead one.

Nancy – your mother’s ‘artfully placed’ treats made me laugh out loud. She must be of the generation that isn’t happy unless you are eating her meals and treats which means she is feeding you her love. I’m planning on seeing Les Mis tomorrow. I’m almost afraid because I loved the stage version so much, but then I loved the book and couldn’t imagine a musical either.

Micki – how nice to have your sister there with you for such a long visit. Something so warm about family women in the kitchen.

Lin – thanks for the pep talk! LOL.

Jen – wow, it’s time for the new office already, it seems like yesterday you said it was all changing in the New Year and that seemed so far away. Time is flying.

JB - thank you for the cornbread recipe, tried it this morning and it is great! Love it.

Well, I’m cooking a small turkey today. It just isn’t Christmas without a turkey smell in my house. I’ll probably end up making copious amounts of soup to freeze because no matter how small the turkey, I just won’t be able to use it up.

Well, it looks like it might snow so I should get out there and get some walk time in before it starts.

Talk to you later.
    Lila
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Today is a good day. I went for a walk with my good friend for the first time since October and it was soo good to be outside walking and talking over everything that has been going on in our lives. Even our dogs had a joyous reunion. I discontinued walking with her because of my knee troubles. I realized that the knee problems were likely due to my weight, and that is what brought me to MyfitessPal and this great group. The pounds I've lost so far have helped my knees enough that I was able to walk with her pain free today. I'm also doing leg strengthening exercises prescribed by my orthopedist., and they're contributing to the pain free walk, too. Yay! As I think about it, this is a huge NSV.
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Nancy - we went to see Les Miserables on boxing day - we have never really done the Christmas movie thing before but we braved the crazy parking lot and crowds - and it was totally worth it. A great show! -

And Lila - pretty true to the stage version too. you will love it!

It is a great story of forgiveness and redemption - and well executed in this version.

And now, routine, routine? wherefore art thou? I need to find you SOON!!

g
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~been a little blue today.son is off to college,my youngest boy.Going thru some empty nest syndrome.
    Thinking about my purpose in life etc.
    Haven`t been doing good with the food.
    Went for a much needed walk.
    Have a great day!!
    HUGS
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~been a little blue today.son is off to college,my youngest boy.Going thru some empty nest syndrome.
    Thinking about my purpose in life etc.
    Haven`t been doing good with the food.
    Went for a much needed walk.
    Have a great day!!
    HUGS
    jane

Sending virtual hugs. Empty nest is a tough one.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Okay ladies, I couldn't resist - I had this burning question then I saw I am not the only one :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

38280665552530962_wD4qnTnz_b.jpg
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    TXGal - I just asked myself that same question. Doesn't seem fair does it. I'm going to weigh-in Monday and adjust my ticker as needed. Doing better getting off the sugar today.
    Michele - My DH also gives me a new calendar each year that I pick out. Haven't gotten around to putting in appointments, birthdays, etc.
    Had to adjust my goal on my Nike+ today as I was reaching it by noon.Don't know how I can relate the calories it says I've earned to MFP calories so I just ignore them.
    Jane - rats! I Hate them also. You know sometimes squirrels also eat wires in cars and boats Hope you DH catches it soon.
    In the south, we always have black-eyed peas, cabbage and corn bread for New Years Day. Suppose to make you healthy, wealthy and wise. I could use all of those attributes.
    Didn't take notes so I'll come back tomorrow better prepared.
    Welcome to the newbies.
    Sue
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    Lin - you get a gold star! A chicken scratches backwards and you don't want to go backwards in the new year. A pig's snout is always pushing outwards and you want to go forward into the new year.

Did an hour of incline intervals on the treadmill today (2 min @ 3% incline, 6%, 9%, 12%, 3% etc) Tomorrow is yoga

Vince and I will go see "Lincoln" this afternoon. Already have my "going to the movies" pocketbook packed with a 100 calorie popcorn pack (I usually don't like these microwaveable ones but they are handy to have when going to the movies), carrots, a turkey sandwich (half of one) and two bottles of water. Maybe I should take some buffalo jerky with me and have the rest of it tomorrow morning.

jb - LOVE the rendition that cookies never be brought to mind. You are so talented.

katla - I'm like you, I love the post holiday sales. You get such nice things on such a sale price. Like I got those tablecloths yesterday, $7 each. I'm just hoping that they wash and dry well.

smilingrn - welcome! You have such a great attitude, I know you'll succeed

Denise keeps calling and asking if we sent her Christmas gifts yet. We just tell her that we have to find a box big enough. I told her today "see, that's a reason to drive down here, then you could have taken your presents back with you and you'd have them" But it is good that she's calling, so I guess I do have a lot to be thankful of. I just feel sad in that I feel she could do so much more, but she's so stuck on no change to anything.

I have to say that I'm proud of myself in one respect. During this holiday season, I never went into the 140's. High 130's sometimes, and that's coming down.

Deb - what is protein chunking? I'm trying to get more protein into my daily meals. Interval training does burn more calories in a shorter amount of time. I'm like you, I don't really like protein suppliments, and most of those protein bars are nothing more than glorified candy. I really do prefer to get my protein from foods. too. Don't forget edamame has good protein. Really, most beans do. A lot of veggie burgers have good protein, but you do need to also check out the sodium. Some of them are outrageous. I've found Dr. Praeger's brand to be OK. Watch the sodium in cottage cheese! Breakstone makes a cottage cheese that is 30% less sodium. It's a help, if anything

Cheryl - I know that I for one am using this week to get my body back to being used to healthy foods. You can use the young kids as weights. How young are they? If they're like 4 or 5 or even 6, use them for resistance like when you're doing a situp. I remember when I took care of a horse, there was A LOT of bending, reaching, etc.

Lin - that is my feeling exactly! Might as well take advantage of the possibility of $50 gas card. I also am doing it at the branch of the Y where there are the fewest members. So that increases my chances, too.

jane - you are so right, there WILL be holidays, things that we just can't avoid. The important thing is to get back ASAP. I can tell you, I didn't even bother to log christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I knew I'd go over, and I sure did. But I'm back to logging

Lin - usually you will find that something that's low fat will be higher in sugar and/or sodium. They need to make up the taste. So many times I've found the higher fat foods are more satisfying for not many more calories, and it also makes me not want to munch.

Janie - beautiful!

cuterbee - welcome and good luck on your Etsy store

Lila - we had chicken for Christmas and I have quite a bit of chicken left over (had to bake two chickens -- wanted to make sure I had enough) so I'm going to try a recipe for Chicken & White Bean soup from EatingWell

katla - what a fantastic success story that you were able to go walking! I know that made you feel good and even more motivated to lose more

Jane - hope you're feeling better soon. Empty nest IS a big downer. At least he's in the same country as you.

texasgal - I saw that cartoon before, but it is ever so true

Went to see the movie "Lincoln". Took my turkey sandwich with me, popcorn, had carrots, 48oz of water, brought jerky but I know that I would have wanted something to drink with it so I didn't have that. Now I'm really not hungry at all.

Hope everyone has a great evening. Gotta go watch what I have recorded on my DVR. Monday we're getting some new package deal whereby we'll have increased Internet, we'll get 4 DVR's (unfortunately, you won't be able to watch in one room what you recorded in another), all the channels offered by the cable company, and telephone. We probably won't use the phone since once before the cable was out and we were very glad we didn't have phone service through them otherwise we wouldn't have been able to call to say that our cable was out. But in the end, it's going to cost less than we're paying right now.

Michele
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,113 Member
    Options
    ok, jb,
    i took the bait-- here we go!

Should all the calories we consumed at Christmas Party time,

Those extra cookies, cakes, and pies, and that extra bottle of wine;

Be on their way, they’re out of here, not sticking to my thighs---

I’m back on track, I’m working out, and making choices WISE!

For all my friends at 50+, I wish you all that’s fine,

We’ll log our food, and chat and sing, drink our water, not the wine!

For MFP and 50+, for health and exercise,

We’ll drink a glass of water clear, and toast those pounds good-bye!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Janie :flowerforyou:

LOVE IT JANIE!!!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Good evening! I hope everyone had a good day; I went shopping and got some cute (and comfy) shoes to dance new year’s eve away and 2 little silver purses. I wasn’t sure which would go better with the shoes, and both were on clearance, so I bought both! My shoes are silver with lots of rhinestones. I got some more bird food and stopped by the office to print a couple more chapters out to work on. Then I tackled a big job…for us. We have a “clutter corner” in our kitchen where everything gets piled up. There’s a basket for stuff to be put in, but it is always overflowing. So I cleaned that up, put all my recipes away and filed my coupons. Now the kitchen looks so much better. Last night we bought one of those vacuum sealer things for food and now all my christmas cookies and leftover roast are vacuum sealed and in the freezer outside.

Melody’sattic: welcome aboard!

Linda: thanks for reposting about Dixie. I sure hope she comes back soon. The first holiday season without hubby has got to be a tough one.

Karen: welcome to you too!

Michele: I think you are doing the right thing. Keep those lines open for Denise. I’ll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Liz: hope your commute was safe!

Lila; at least you get your stress out by doing something positive! I eat! But now I am trying to exercise.

Kate: glad your Christmas was wonderful and you got to enjoy your new fireplace.

SmilingRN: welcome. I am an RN too. There are several of us here.

LinC: my dog has taken to eating the birdfood! Of course it’s covered with poo and feathers and who knows what. He even stands up on his hind legs to get the suet….not good for his very low fat diet needs! So now we have to go out with him in case he starts heading that way!

DeeDee: thanks for the info on Dixie. Please remember me to her when you email next. I know what you mean about slowing down. It’s a three ring circus here and time just disappears!

DebA: what is protein “chunking”?

Tigress: I’m glad you had a great holiday!

Wessecg: well way to go…on the weight loss that is. Sometimes it’s mysterious, isn’t it?

Janehadji: oh my! We keep birdseed in the garage usually contained carefully, but one year we had horrible mice. I hope your car was rat free! I hope your heart is lighter after Christmas without DD.

Cuterbee: welcome too!

Well I know I am skipping some of you, but you are all in my heart. I just have to get some things done before bedtime. Take care all and enjoy your Saturday. Meg
  • c0c0nn0r
    Options
    Robin - what an adorable picture

Janie - love the song lyrics

Texas - you have/had more snow in Dallas than we have in Illinois...Joliet, Il got it's 1st sprinkling of snow this a.m. but it stopped and nothing is on the ground now.

DeeDee - glad to hear you're feeling better

Lucy - it is so hard when the kids move away...have a great birthday on Sunday:smile:

Welcome to all the new people

Have a great day tomorrow everyone

Colleen
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I'm singing to Auld Lang Syne:

Should our dear Janie, our good friend, write lyrics for us all,
    We'll take them to a publisher, forever to recall!

OMG Janie you take the cake! Hahaha :laugh: I mean you win the prize! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: Such great great lyrics, so meaningful and heartfelt. Awwww! I was hoping someone would pitch in and not leave it up to me to finish the song, lol. I haven't had time to come up with anything yet and you've completely fulfilled the quest. Yay! I LOVE it! :heart:

Lila, so glad you like the cornbread, I think it's wonderful. :love: Did you use polenta? Or cornmeal? The polenta makes the muffins a little more crunchy, I've made the recipe both ways.

Glenda, I had to set my mind to it last week and start with a serious routine again. It takes a lot of gumption to get going, but once you start it's a little easier every day. I set up a little challenge with a couple of friends, promising to do 30 mins a day of whatever exercise we wanted to get back to doing. For me it was weights, push ups, crunches and yoga. 12 days now, and I'm feeling good, although a little sore. And the eating routine, sheesh, it takes awhile to get that straightened out! I just started on Wednesday getting my calories in line again. It's tough, but my pants are tight! :ohwell:

Cheryl, toning is really important. I still have lots of flab. And I'm not joking. I know I've lost quite a bit of weight but gosh, what is all that skin doing hanging around like it does on a shar pei? Blech. I don't like it. Thus, push ups, abdominal crunches, squats, you name it, we need it. :wink:

DeeDee, the roller coaster is a beast, isn't it! :explode: I'm right there with you. I've made a decision to go DOWN!

Janehadji, oh my gosh, the rat! :noway: They're horrible! One time when I lived in a rural area I had a lot of rat problems. Jack Russell Terriers to the rescue!

Nancy, the snacking, the snacking! And plates of cookies around the house, oh my, I'd be worthless. You're right, it's best that you don't even start. I'm terrible with "moderation", too, although I always have the best intentions. :blushing:

Michele, "should all the cookies be forgot and never brought to mind" is my new motto. And it's one that's going to stick with me in the New Year if it's the last thing I do! :grumble: I cannot control myself when they're right there in front of me.

I'm done eating, done with wine, done done done and it's only 7:30 on a Friday night. Mercy me. I guess I'll go pour another glass of water and play some cards online or something. It's too early to hit the hay. :yawn:

Be good, be strong, be well and have a great weekend!

:smile: jb