plain greek yogurt.. what do you put in it?

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a more savory approach w/ greek yogurt. I tried cucumber slices, dill, vinegar, garlic (of course), chopped onion, and salt/pepper. It was very good. A lot of indian dishes use yogurt. Had an idea w/ something like yogurt, curry powder, garlic (of course), chopped onion, shredded chicken breasts, and maybe some soy or something,
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I've tried substituting 0% fat Greek yogurt for sour cream in my cooking and it curdles as soon as it gets hot. Some of you have mentioned that you cook with it. What am I doing wrong?

I had the same curdle issue, but I think you are supposed to temper it. I think you heat the yogurt then add it into the dish. Havent tried this but yogurt cheese is not the most pleasant experience.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Just last night I made a tzatziki sauce out of my FF Greek yogurt!

Diced cucumbers, minced onion, garlic, lemon juice and a little salt and pepper....It goes great with chicken meatballs or with spicy quinoa or couscous!

Mixed with a little chocolate protein and PB2 is excellent also

And my buffalo dip for carrots and celery is
    FF Greek yogurt, Frank's RedHot, some garlic powder, a Tablespoon of low fat blue cheese crumbles, and a Tablespoon of real bacon bits

OOO buffalo dip thats a great idea!
  • lupo316
    Options
    I actually use it in place of any recipe or food item that is complimented with sour cream. Use regular greek yogurt instead of sour cream in something like chicken taco's or salsa mix, it's excellent.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    Options
    I've tried substituting 0% fat Greek yogurt for sour cream in my cooking and it curdles as soon as it gets hot. Some of you have mentioned that you cook with it. What am I doing wrong?

I had the same curdle issue, but I think you are supposed to temper it. I think you heat the yogurt then add it into the dish. Havent tried this but yogurt cheese is not the most pleasant experience.
    Thank you. I never thought of that! I will give it a try. It certainly is possible.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    honey, walnut or pecan pieces, berries, peaches, agave nectar, fruit preserves, granola... possibilities are pretty endless.

Also sometimes i cut a peach in half, put it under the broiler for a little bit, fill in the center with 0% greek yogurt, then drizzle with honey or agave and some cinnamon. yum. also works with apples.
  • bettacheckyoself
    Options
    Xylitol / Xyla natural sweetener (our own bodies even produces this) is the best! get rid of your table sugar.. you won't notice the difference in taste and you will reap the rewards !
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    "plain greek yogurt.. what do you put in it?"

My spoon!
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Nutella with or without sliced banana.

Mix it in slowly or it just lumps!

This one I MUST try!! yum!!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of it.... but I love the Danone Greek yogurt with honey.
    BUT..... lots more sugar and carbs...

So I got some standard regular Greek yogurt and added some Walden's farm calorie free pancake syrup
    IT'S THE BOMB!!!!!!! taste pretty much the same and nothing to add to the count :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Lime juice and Mexican spices (jalapeños, hot sauce, chili powder, etc.). Makes a great sauce for fish tacos.

Mix with capers, a little mustard, and a can of boneless skinless salmon and put on a pita.

Almonds, frozen fruits and ground flax seeds.

Chocolate protein powder and a tablespoon peanut butter.

Pretty much something different every time.
  • Boshnivay
    Boshnivay Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i like to get the larger tub and add a packet of ranch dip mix to it, and use it for dipping vegetables :)
  • nana6799
    nana6799 Posts: 262
    Options
    I use 1/2 c. of Plain Chobani Yogurt with 2 packets of Stevia, thawed out strawberries (I cut them up small or mash). Mix all together and it tastes like a dessert.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I put cereal on top-Honey Bunches Of Oats
    it's good!
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    smashed banana and unsweetened cocoa
  • Chris0h9
    Chris0h9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like adding in some pieces of fruit, Maple syrup, or reduced-sugar jelly on it.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream - so it's great for any kind of dip, or coating on meat so the panko crumbs form a crust, or the BEST one - on top of a baked potato! YUM.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    cucumber, onions, tomato, dill and mint...

or leave it plain and put it on tacos

Or put salt and garlic in it and hang it from a cheese cloth to get more of the whey out of it and it will become like a cream cheese spread.. SOOOO YUMMY.
  • ajadumas
    ajadumas Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I mix in Hidden Valley Ranch mix and dip my veggies in it. Mmmmm crudites :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I put honey in mine. Just enough to sweeten it. It's delicious.