Mixed Signals!

Options
1235»

Replies

• CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    with grammar skills like that, he may not want to talk to you...the red pen would be in full force....yikes.

Goodness me, you're rude. With written skills like yours I would keep quiet. Ellipsis is THREE dots, not four and there would be a space when you've finished with them. You might also like to consider some capital letters and perhaps, an exclamation mark after the word, "Yikes".

M'kay? :wink:

Whatever. There is that better?

There should really have been a comma between "there" and "is". ;)

Ha... I just KNEW you were another Brit! :bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    with grammar skills like that, he may not want to talk to you...the red pen would be in full force....yikes.

Goodness me, you're rude. With written skills like yours I would keep quiet. Ellipsis is THREE dots, not four and there would be a space when you've finished with them. You might also like to consider some capital letters and perhaps, an exclamation mark after the word, "Yikes".

Actually, there should be a period or semicolon.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you don't text talk to him in real life as well.

Is it that hard to complete a word?

On behalf of every person over 40 in America...I love you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I'm not a grammar nazi but I agree with the others - the post was VERY hard to read and comprehend. Seriously, it kind of gave me a headache and I've never had anyone use text type on a forum before to that extent!! LOL, LMAO, WTF - okay, I don't mind. But...

I like 2 c how u r doin' 2day...sup, ppl. <
    Really?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Please tell me you don't text talk to him in real life as well.

Is it that hard to complete a word?

On behalf of every person over 40 in America...I love you.

I'm not 40 yet and I feel this way. But then I'm an English major and even my texts are not in text speak.
  • intrepidity
    Options
    Imitation is the best form of flattery. This looks suspiciously like me friends with benefits post. Hmmmm
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    He doesn't sound too into you.

Sorry. I was going to get in on the grammar thing but I thought better.
  • rml_16
    Options

It's actually a matter of opinion. Editors at The New Yorker, for example, would go for a comma while a collumnist at the NYT would easily be able to go for a semicolon. In truth, any form of full-stop punctuation would be fine.

Sorry. Nerd moment.

A comma would make it a run-on sentence. I have to vehemently disagree with the editors at the New Yorker in this case.

"There" is a full sentence and "Is that better?" is a full sentence. A comma breaks up a sentence, not two full sentences.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Ah. OP. I hear ya. Been there, done that.

It's tough. Right now he HAS become a ritual and/or addiction. As much as you like him, you also like the attention and of course having someone to talk to.

Unfortunately if he's freezing you out your options are:

1. Ask him outright what's up.
    2. Be less forward and just casually mention that you miss hearing from him.
    3. Just leave it be and let it run it's course.

It's trickier if you want to remain friends. Too clingy and he runs screaming. Too distant and he thinks you're not interested. I think the best solution is just to be YOU. Just be yourself. The person he liked in the first place. And don't over analyze.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

It's actually a matter of opinion. Editors at The New Yorker, for example, would go for a comma while a collumnist at the NYT would easily be able to go for a semicolon. In truth, any form of full-stop punctuation would be fine.

Sorry. Nerd moment.

A comma would make it a run-on sentence. I have to vehemently disagree with the editors at the New Yorker in this case.

"There" is a full sentence and "Is that better?" is a full sentence. A comma breaks up a sentence, not two full sentences.

"There" in this context is not necessarily a full sentence. A comma indicates a pause as opposed to a stop. If you were speaking it aloud, you'd pause only momentarily. Either way would be fine, it depends on how forceful you are looking to make the "there" in the sentence. It would NOT, however, be a run on sentence. If properly punctuated with accompanying coordinating conjunction, a sentence can technically continue indefinitely.

Since the subject/predicate presence of the statement "there" is implied in this usage, one could use two techniques to make it a proper sentence without a period:

1. There; is that better?
    2. There, is that better?

If you wanted to use a period, I would strongly advise the inclusion of the implied subject and predicate:

There it is. Is that better?

To add, a comma does effectively split two sentences if one uses the proper coordinating conjunctions.
  • rml_16
    Options

Sorry. Nerd moment.

"There" in this context is not necessarily a full sentence. A comma indicates a pause as opposed to a stop. If you were speaking it aloud, you'd pause only momentarily. Either way would be fine, it depends on how forceful you are looking to make the "there" in the sentence. It would NOT, however, be a run on sentence. If properly punctuated with accompanying coordinating conjunction, a sentence can technically continue indefinitely.

Since the subject/predicate presence of the statement "there" is implied in this usage, one could use two techniques to make it a proper sentence without a period:

If you wanted to use a period, I would strongly advise the inclusion of the implied subject and predicate:

To add, a comma does effectively split two sentences if one uses the proper coordinating conjunctions.
    I disagree. But that's fine. :-)
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Maybe he is seeing someone else but I do understand that you don't want to seem clingy when all you want is just some clarity on the situation.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Sorry. Nerd moment.

I disagree. But that's fine. :-)

I just figured I'd chime in because I have a degree in English and you previously qualified your opinion with majoring in the language study. The official stance is that commas can be appropriately used to break up independent statements when used with conjunctions. It's a pet peeve of mine when someone tries to qualify themselves with their field of study and uses their opinion to represent everyone in the field. It's kind of important to understand a concept like this especially if you are pursuing a writing or grammar concentration :P