Foods that shocked you

Options

Replies

• chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I completely agree on nuts and granola. I expect dressings and cheeses to be high so no shock there. But crackers, ridiculously high for something baked not fried. They're almost as bad as potato chips! The whole grain isn't as bad but still high in calories and fat. And anything buttery or light in texture like Ritz, forget about it! (Special K makes a whole grain kind that would be a decent substitute for wheat thins but it isn't what I was looking for.)
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    The lobster bisque I had tonight - a cup has 360 calories and 36 grams of fat!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My Cobb salad at TGIF...
    I seriously thought it was healthier than the burger I wanted.
    Burger doesn't have 1,280 calories though :(
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Ranch was probably my big one. I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was THAT bad. Same goes for butter and heavy cream. I still use butter and heavy cream very often (several times a day), but I'm much more careful about making room for them and measuring them very precisely.

Mayo also shocked me, but not because of how "bad" it is. I actually thought it was way worse than it actually is.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    The lobster bisque I had tonight - a cup has 360 calories and 36 grams of fat!

HOLY CRAP
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My almost chubby 7 year old niece looked at my plate piled with salad a few weeks ago, frowned disapprovingly, and asked, "Aunty Melba, are you sure you need all that?"

Yes, yes I do. Nomnomnomnom.

No, but it made for a nice opportunity to talk about how healthy and low calorie vegetables are. It was a good moment. Even if my adorable niece called me fat :P.
  • Aeonis
    Aeonis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Flour shocked me. I used to make myself many flour based snacks at night, and I thought cutting back on sugar and grease would be good for me calorie-wise. Only after joining MFP did I realize 1/2 cup of White flour is around 220 calories alone! Forbid you add anything else to it.
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    Freakin PopTarts... 200 calories per tart... that is soo not worth it to me. I basically stopped eating cereal a long time ago bc of all the sugar, calories, and lack of protein (had my first bowl in years just the other day bc I was craving it).

We try to eat low fat and good protein.. I gave up alot of yummy breakfast foods b/c that is not how I want to start my day... 1/2 Cup of Low Fat Cottage Cheese and an Apple is perfect... or 2 eggs w/ Feta... Fills me up until lunch!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Granola....real shock.

!!!
  • JourneyLite
    JourneyLite Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Butter is actually healthier for you than margerine because it doesn't have the artificial trans fats. Just have to use less.
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Wishbone fat free italian dressing shocked me. 15 calories ber 2 tablespoons.
  • evelina_anville
    Options
    I've been shocked by peanut butter not once but several times! It starts with me measuring out a teaspoon and counting it as 100 calories (I might weigh it just to be sure). Then I'll drop my guard a bit and begin to eyeball it, and then it's 'oh a little extra won't hurt' so it gradually becomes a big lump of it. When I next weigh it I'm shocked that it's become 300 calories of peanut butter rather than the 100 I was counting!
  • leithy89
    leithy89 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cider and vodka pre mixes shocked me... 230-300 a pop
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Cake. :(

I knew it wasn't good- but it nearly killed me when I found out my favourite slice of carrot cake was totting in at around 600 calories (for about 100g). I know it's logical that it's sky high, but I can eat five packets of mini chedders for the same calorie price of a slice of my beloved carrot cake.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,660 Member
    Options
    Thee's a Pizza Express near work and I used to occasionally order the Pizza Rustica, thinking it was a healthy choice because it had a thin crust and was topped with rocket salad. Shocked to see it was over 1000 kcals, and worse that the Pepperoni Pizza. Must be the caesar dressing and parmesan shavings on the salad.
  • Aquarii
    Aquarii Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything that I enjoy, especially because my stomach and appetite are endless. :sad:
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Brown Bismati rice- when I started on MFP, I ate a lot of it - thinking it was healthy, it is, but the portions have to be very small.

Maple syrup - I knew it was sugar and high, but it was double what I thought, and 2 tablespoons is a very small portion
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    For me was Chicken Long Rice.. the sodium in a serving is about 2 days allowance.. Ouch..but it so goooood....
  • TrishaLunny
    TrishaLunny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just learned that margarine was originally made to make cows fat and is one molecule away from being plastic.........and shares 7 ingredients with paint
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't as important as what your body choses to do with the calories.

My food: ketchup- not because of it's calorie-content but because of it's SUGAR content!

I totally still use it but not nearly as liberally as I used to