Anyone here over 50?

Options

Replies

• matany
    matany Posts: 1
    Options
    Well I think I win!! 72 now but still want to look nice. Was very slim until 50 then started to gain weight every year. When 62 diagnosed with underactive thyroid but too late had gained 6 stone.

With teatment shifted 2 stone but recently put 1 stone. on. Really have to lose all that extra weight now. Have had one total knee replacement and do not want another. I am hoping by watching my calorie intake walking and swimming to do that. I think this site where you can count your calorie intake is wonderful. Would like to lose 70 pounds before end of 2013. Nice to meet you all.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 51 and yeah, it is harder! But I've lost 65 pounds since February so it's not impossible! Sending a friend request.
    Nancy
  • RatherBeOutside
    RatherBeOutside Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 a few days ago have yet to start menopause. I'm gaining weight by the minute. I exercise like crazy if I don't do 1-1/2 hours daily I gain. My friend told me about this site. Already can tell the difference in eating by writing ALL down
  • Pattis11
    Pattis11 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Going to be 60 this year and I have to start getting this weight off. It is harder but I can't use excuses anymore. Time is not going to stop and wait for me to get serious. I think this site is where I need to be. I love to read all of the success stories and I hope to be one of them,
  • Clorfeine
    Options
    I'm MUCH over 50, i.e. 79 years old. I've lost and gained a ton of weight in my life, and as I get older, it seems to get harder. But I'm determined to look my best and help my health. If you would like to be my pal, i'd be honored.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Today is the first day on this site and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm 55 post menopausal needing to lose 25-30 pounds. I've struggled with weight all of my life. This site is so much like weight watchers on line but FREE and I think the only way I can really lose the weight is to keep track of everything that enters my mouth. I quit smoking this past July, had my first physical in September and am determined to take care of myself. I cut wheat out of my diet several weeks ago, and I already feel better and less bloated. Hurray to all of us being here - and remember 50 or 60 or 70 is just a number!
  • djmom1984
    djmom1984 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hit 50 in August. Lost 40 lbs in 2008 and can't get ANY off now. Definitely more difficult, but WE CAN DO IT!
  • cbos1215
    cbos1215 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello ~ I am 65 years and the term "the older you get, the harder it is to lose" speaks true in my case. I think I'm pretty active with water aerobics, playing horseshoes, dancing, golfing, walking...but no matter how active I was or how I watched my food intake, my scale just kept going up. So I'm here to see if I can lose the 10-20 I'd like to get rid of!
  • lakeylady
    Options
    I'm 69 yrs old and dr says no exercising because of knees so I stopped doing Zumba (which I love)and now have gained a lot of weight so now I'm ready to get get serious with the weight .
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 last month and I can tell you it is hard to lose 1 ounce!!!! I used to could diet for a month and lose 20 pounds when I didn't even need to do so. Now I work so much harder and eat so much better and barely budge the scale. It is DOABLE THOUGH!!!
  • cbos1215
    cbos1215 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're doing fantastic...I can only hope I'm as successful as you have been! Keep up the good work!
  • 7Nonny
    7Nonny Posts: 15
    Options
    I am 57 and just am getting started with MFP. I have done WW at least three times with good results, but I seem to fall off the wagon if I quit going to meetings. I am finding it very difficult to get started this time, but I know I have to do something as this extra weight I am carrying around is getting harder to deal with by the day. Need motivation to exercise and track my food intake as well.
    My New Years Resolution is to attempt to make small steps at a time to become more fit and less fat!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    56 here.

I have never lost so much weight and kept it off as I have since I joined MFP.

Lift heavy
    Eat at a deficit
    Up your protein

The weight will come off no matter how old we are, we can do this.
  • eatright2013
    eatright2013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi-- I just signed up. I am 57 and have hopes of losing at least 50 pounds this year. I know it is harder because we are older but I figure if I don't start this journey now, I will never start. 2013 is the year. Let's all give it our best efforts.
  • 7Nonny
    7Nonny Posts: 15
    Options
    What an inspiration!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    51 here. Yes, it is harder to lose weight as we age but I think it's because we aren't working as hard, our kids are (usually) grown, we don't go out as often, get lazier, sit around more and lose muscle. Then our metabolism nose-dives! I didn't start to lose weight until I started eating right and moving more, just what everyone else has to do. Yeah, I have a LOT more aches and pains and health issues due to my age that make it harder but the pain is worth the extra health benefits! After losing 40lbs, I look and feel 20 years younger and only wish I would have been inspired to get off my *kitten* sooner!
    Good luck, get it in your head that you can do this and you will! You just have to want it bad enough!

ETA: One year ago, on Christmas Eve, I got up off my butt because I had had enough. I started walking that day, barely 15 minutes at 2 mph on my treadmill. My pulse was sky high and I was out of breath within a minute. I am happy to say that one year and over 1,000 miles later, I graduated C25K and am now working the 5k to 10k bridge. I have high blood pressure, was pre-diabetic, have ;fibromyalgia, a kidney tumor, kidney stones, had a stroke in Nov 2011 (fully recovered, thank God), a blood disorder, going through menopause without HRT, so I'm having all of the hotflashes, night sweats, stress, etc from that. I also have a husband who has a terminal lung disease with a poor prognosis. I lost my father, grandmother and 3 aunts in the last few years and now my mother is 'gone' due to alzheimers. My son moved back home with his gf, their 2 yr old and a newborn. Sooooo, yeah I have a lot of stress and health problems and still managed to take the time to measure food, learn how to eat correctly and exercise.
    I WANT TO LIVE and it's worth the EFFORT. Ok, now YOU ALL CAN DO IT TO. Just get up and MOVE. Rant over, thanks for listening. lol
  • mommakec
    mommakec Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am teetering on the cusp of fifty. No, u r not wrong it is tougher to lose at our age. What with the slowing of the metabolism. You reallt can't eat as many calories as the younger ones.
  • mommakec
    mommakec Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss in March 2012 and have lost 85lbs with my fitnesspal. I use it daily, and my health has sky rocketed. It may be a little harder at first, but once you have the habit I feel it's easier to maintain a weight management program now that I am older.
  • dukanukem
    Options
    Yes 50 here too, and I've had so many false start Mondays hahaha.
    But really determined now to drop a lot of weight and for me the key is exercise. I feel if I'm not doing both diet and exercise I lose motivation, so my goal is to do at least 5 days a week of some activity.
    Good luck everyone
  • dthreeus
    dthreeus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just turned 60 December 6. My Wife is 57, and we're both doing well - she's down 20+ and I'm down 40+. What I think is harder about doing it at this age is (1) more aches and pains associated with stressing our bodies, (2) longer healing times for sore backs, stressed elbows and knees, etc., and (3) less "Get up and go" than at younger age. You have to be tougher on yourself, making yourself get off your butt and exercise, or fix a reasonable meal, instead of fast food, etc. Neta and I are lucky in that by doing it together, neither wants to be the wimp, or have to fess up to Big Mac on the way home. But it can be done, and with more success, things get easier - less weight means less stress to da bones, and less pain and soreness, and it gets easier to get up and get moving - so hang in there. The success stories on this site are very impressive, and I figure if they can do it, I can do it - no, I'm going to do it. As Tony Little says, "If it is to be, it's up to me." Great quote, and oh so true.