Options
12346»

Replies

• greenpointmoni
    Options
    Agreed.
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    So you're going to build your own roads? Start your own schools? Pay for your own police man?
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    We don't need no stinkin government handouts! What is this, an entitlement welfare nation?

(That was sarcasm, by the way, for those who lack a detector.)

It is gonna be one eventually at this rate. Like in everything. You want one thing, you have to cut back on another. Fun, fun, fun!

I love our welfare state. Couldn't afford hamburger, much less steak if beef wasn't subsidized out the wazoo. I'm surprised this fiscal cliffhanger bad joke isn't affecting that, too.

By the way, it isn't just me, most people couldn't afford beef if it weren't subsidized. If you're not rich and you eat steak, you're a welfare queen. :tongue:

Of course some people want us to switch to meal worms, but I'm hoping workers will say enough is enough with that. Personally, before I'll eat worms I'll go on the millionaire diet. Because I'm sure beef fatted rich people taste better than worms!

This! Awesome!
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    I honestly wish subsidies would end. When you major in Econ in college you learn about how this negatively affects everything. Rent controls, price controls, faming subsidies, cost of gasoline, it's all insane. The true price of things should be what they are and less expensive alternatives will emerge in the market.

Sorry I got a little into politics. But, you can't discuss it without heading there, because that's the cause of it.

Cause food riots are a blast, right?

That's what will happen if subsidies end.

Well, the government got itself in a pickle, didn't it. It wasn't intended this way. Each thing was a small way to help. But, now people have come to rely on the government controlling market dynamics. Which is pretty much why I laugh when people claim that the USA is a free market. My *kitten* we are. Lol.

Indeed we are not, and if you look at the countries with the closest thing to a free market what you will see is a very small number of very rich people and a whole lot of very poor people and a lot of slaughter.

Societies have the right to create laws and distribute wealth in ways that maintain a healthy, prosperous population. The US doesn't do it nearly as well as many countries in Europe, however.

It is not the job of society to distribute wealth, if you look they do a terrible job of it. How's the war on poverty doing that Johnson started? Entitlements are what are going to send us over the fiscal cliff ya know

Nom nom tasty rich people!

It is indeed the job of society. If laws didn't at least keep the wealthy somewhat in check, we'd all be living in mill towns, indebted to the company store, with our children working right alongside us, and every time we tried to strike the National Guard, the local hired thugs, and the private cops would get called out to slaughter us. That's not my opinion, that's history.

Very well said!

And as for societies doing a terrible job of redistributing wealth, the US hasn't done so well, but many western European nations (e.g. the Dutch) have done a far better job at caring for their populous. In contrast, the US has taken a lot of half measures and has had little follow-through--pretty much a recipe for not solving a serious problem.

You people read too much Robin Hood.

Redistribution = theft

No more than taking the fruit of another person's labor and calling it capitalism does.

This!
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    I honestly wish subsidies would end. When you major in Econ in college you learn about how this negatively affects everything. Rent controls, price controls, faming subsidies, cost of gasoline, it's all insane. The true price of things should be what they are and less expensive alternatives will emerge in the market.

Sorry I got a little into politics. But, you can't discuss it without heading there, because that's the cause of it.

Cause food riots are a blast, right?

That's what will happen if subsidies end.

Well, the government got itself in a pickle, didn't it. It wasn't intended this way. Each thing was a small way to help. But, now people have come to rely on the government controlling market dynamics. Which is pretty much why I laugh when people claim that the USA is a free market. My *kitten* we are. Lol.

Indeed we are not, and if you look at the countries with the closest thing to a free market what you will see is a very small number of very rich people and a whole lot of very poor people and a lot of slaughter.

Societies have the right to create laws and distribute wealth in ways that maintain a healthy, prosperous population. The US doesn't do it nearly as well as many countries in Europe, however.

you
    are
    insane.

If you think Europe is a role model.... hahaha... wow

Look at the standard of living rankings (they are published every year). Note which countries are on top.

Then make up your own mind.

Europe is broke, or haven't you heard. But then again, so are we.

They're broke because of deregulated markets and banking scams. The elite are sucking us dry.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    we are so not 'broke.' where do you get your information? oye?