Israel Bans Models under BMI 18.5

Options
MoreBean13
MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
Israeli Models to Beef Up in 2013 as Law Regulating Size Goes Into Effect

The new year means new rules for Israel’s fashion models. A new law went into effect Tuesday that prohibits any male or female model with a body mass index (BMI) below 18.5 from being shown in the media, on Israeli websites or from walking down the catwalk at fashion shows.

The law, initiated by then-Kadima MK Rachel Adatto, aims to protect impressionable teens from eating disorders.

The law was also sponsored by Likud-Beytenu MK Danny Danon and is believed to be the first of its kind in the world. Violations are not considered a criminal offense, but violators can be sued in court by interested citizens, including families whose relatives have suffered or died due to eating disorders encouraged by images of overly thin models.

The law also requires any advertisement that uses Photoshop or other graphics programs that make the model appear to be under 18.5 BMI to be labeled with a warning that the image was distorted. The warning must be clear and prominent, covering at least 7 percent of the ad space.

Any model to be used in campaigns and fashion shows must first obtain and present written statements from their physician within a three-month time frame stating that their BMI is above 18.5. If not, they do not qualify.

The law has been met with some controversy. Model and TV personality Yael Goldman told Israel’s Channel 2 that the law had no “beneficial effect.” She said, “You can not change the world, models have always been thin and are thin, and there it is,” and added, “the focus must be on educating” the models about the issues.

According to the Jerusalem Post, nearly 1,500 teenagers develop an eating disorder each year in Israel, and 5% of those suffering from anorexia die.
From http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/01/01/israeli-models-to-beef-up-in-2013-as-law-restricting-size-goes-into-effect/

Thoughts? Discuss.
Please, be respectful of all body types and don't post any body-shaming comments in this thread, in accordance with MFP guidelines. I will report and have the thread shut down if this becomes body-bashing thread.

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Israel has also banned soy in infant formula because of its high levels of estrogen. Sounds like they are pretty involved in the health of their people.

On the other side of the fence is Japan, with its regulations on fat implemented through mandatory waist measurement. (Though, to my knowledge, it has no limiting regulations on the skinniness side.)

Interesting stuff.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Being slender is part of the job. Making 18.5 the cut of seems a bit extreme to me, as some people do fall below that cut off which is based on averages (just as some people are in the obese category and are not over-fat). I feel like the answer to cultural body image issues is not to fire slim people that are still healthy. There are more accurate measurements of health than BMI.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, I think it is great that something is being done... like requiring some sort of standard and providing warning labels. Fake images of unhealthy people as an ideal can be just as dangerous as other things that currently have warning labels.

But I do think that BMI is not a good indicator, and if their goal is to educate and change perceptions, they really could begin with debunking the BMI madness.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    :noway:

Hmmm...I have mixed thoughts on this. Probably best if I return after a night of sleep with a clear head before I respond. :yawn:

Interesting article though for sure, good find Bean! :flowerforyou:
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Being slender is part of the job. Making 18.5 the cut of seems a bit extreme to me, as some people do fall below that cut off which is based on averages (just as some people are in the obese category and are not over-fat). I feel like the answer to cultural body image issues is not to fire slim people that are still healthy. There are more accurate measurements of health than BMI.

While I completely agree, especially since I'm overweight by BMI but not overfat, the simple solution for those models would be to put on more muscle, which would be a look I would find more aesthetically pleasing anyways.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. If it helps minimize eating disorders, then wonderful. Do I personally think it will work? I honestly don't know.

ETA: my reply is so helpful, eh? :tongue:
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. Seems its a great sart and whether or not it will help ward off EDs is yet to be seen. I LOVE the idea that they have to use a disclamer in ads if the body has been photoshopped to look thinner... I think THAT in and of itself would help educate people that even those seemingly "perfect" need the help of photoshop. ????
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. Seems its a great sart and whether or not it will help ward off EDs is yet to be seen. I LOVE the idea that they have to use a disclamer in ads if the body has been photoshopped to look thinner... I think THAT in and of itself would help educate people that even those seemingly "perfect" need the help of photoshop. ????

I agree with that...disclaimers pointing out altered images should be PROMINENTLY displayed.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    A better measurement could be to simply pass the "bill of health" through their doctor with a thorough examination. Seems easy enough (and the doctor will take BMI as well as other factors into consideration).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

While I completely agree, especially since I'm overweight by BMI but not overfat, the simple solution for those models would be to put on more muscle, which would be a look I would find more aesthetically pleasing anyways.

Some people are naturally slim, even when lifting weights and well nourished.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    A better measurement could be to simply pass the "bill of health" through their doctor with a thorough examination. Seems easy enough (and the doctor will take BMI as well as other factors into consideration).

Yeah, but the idea is not necessarily for the health of the models, it's for the imagery exposed to teenagers. Images of what would be considered underweight people, healthy or not, might present the same unrealistic ideals to people. I don't know, really, I'm just thinking out loud. I haven't had a chance to fully digest the concept yet.
  • Awkward30
    Options

In an ideal world, maybe, but without firm guidelines (which will never be applicable to EVERYONE), there will be doctors that are more or less lenient and the models will just go to the lenient doctors.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

I agree with that...disclaimers pointing out altered images should be PROMINENTLY displayed.

Then you get into all kinds of debates over what kind of photoshopping needs to be qualified. What if you just change the colors and tone of a photo? What if you give a model an extra nose? What about all the stuff in between? I like the idea in theory, but implementing it will be tough, especially since it is in the fashion industry's best interest to promote unattainable standards of beauty.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    I'd like to comment, but my brain is only good for snippiness at this time of day...the Israli plan sounds good idea in theory. I look forward to the smart people of MFP making some sense of this for me.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Interesting. "Normal" BMI used to be 18-25. I'm betting a lot of these women are more like a 15 or less though. I've known some models. One was 5'10" and weighs 110 at most according to her.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Interesting find beans.
  • Awkward30
    Options

Some people are naturally slim, even when lifting weights and well nourished.

I really think that anyone that tries hard can put on some muscle. And since all BMI cares about is weight, increasing the lean mass would do this without asking the model to add more fat.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    My BMI is 18.3. And I am healthy. Should I be fired?
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Then you get into all kinds of debates over what kind of photoshopping needs to be qualified. What if you just change the colors and tone of a photo? What if you give a model an extra nose? What about all the stuff in between? I like the idea in theory, but implementing it will be tough, especially since it is in the fashion industry's best interest to promote unattainable standards of beauty.

Well, they said only photoshopping that makes the model appear less than 18.5- so probably colors and noses would be OK, but not pinching the waist to appear 17". I have NO idea how they could possibly control that in practical application though.

I foresee lots of loopholes- the biggest one being that since BMI only considers weight and height, a model could "bulk" and intentionally bloat before the exam, and then has 3 whole months of time during which that certification is valid- 3 months is a long time.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Interesting. "Normal" BMI used to be 18-25. I'm betting a lot of these women are more like a 15 or less though. I've known some models. One was 5'10" and weighs 110 at most according to her.

This is true!