Well That Was Encouraging.......NOT!

Options
I went to a gym this morning and asked if I could take a look around. To make a long story short - I already have a treadmill and some free weights at home that I work out with daily. But I wanted to push myself and decided to look into a gym and a personal trainer.

The guy at the front desk says, "Well, I usually take people's money and say ok, I know I won't see you again but have fun on this one day you decided to exercise!" WTF! That was an answer in response to my question about joining the gym. OK, whatever, I'll let that slide; though I'm sure he isn't supposed to say things like that to potential members. But that wasn't the worse thing he said.

Before I could get my entire question out about looking for a trainer, he says "Look, for a trainer like me (though I wasn't neccesarily asking about him as he was sitting at the front and I had no idea he was even a trainer) it would cost you. I don't train certain people and I hike my prices way up and stupid people still pay for me to train them and then quit. But I still charge them for the entire month. Fat people are usually the first quitters, no offense!" I thought this was a rather rude and out-of-left-field response. I was honestly floored by what he said.

Well, I had a friend there with me who instantly flipped out and we decided that was not the gym to join if they had staffers like him working there. But has anyone ever had this sort of experience. It makes me not want to go out and look anymore. Bad first experience.

Replies

• KAA1982
    KAA1982 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would complain to management there.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER heard of that kind of treatment! That is bull****.
    I would ***** a blue streak to whomever will listen at that place!
  • loubylou1969
    loubylou1969 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That's terrible. Did he just work there or actually owned the gym? I bet his boss would have a fit if he knew what he was saying to potential customers.

What an awful attitude!

Louise
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well as many people have responded already no I've never heard of such treatment... that was completely rude and uncalled for and I personally would have spoken to whoever would be in authority over him. He has no right working in a business with such an attitude towards people. I'm sorry you had to experience that..
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    That's terrible, not sure what gym this was, but If it was me I'd contact someone above this db's head. I've never had that happen, but there was a story on tv not too long ago about how some gyms charge heavier people more for memberships and personal training.

There's so many great gym's out there or alternatively classes I hope you find something that fits your needs:)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    Heh heh. Great salesman, right there.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    THat's the most absurd "trainer" behavior I've ever heard of
  • rpelley
    rpelley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    YIKES! What an *$$! Obviously NOT the gym for you. You WILL find one with caring compassionate and concerned trainers. Do you have a runner's store, or a YWCA/YMCA nearby? I'd write to the owner and I would also comment on YELP. What an idiot. Shake off the hate and move forward. You can and you will succeed! Wish I had better advice about where to look...probably others will. Good luck!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Wow. Just wow.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would call and speak with management. You do not deserve to be spoken to like that by anyone.

That person must lead a sad pitiful life if they get off on treating people like that. What an *kitten*
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    WOW... I worked in sales for years and would never thing about talking like that to anyone. Forget calling the management, just go find another gym and post a bad review on Yelp.
  • ctomsa
    ctomsa Posts: 1
    Options
    Honestly, I would find the quickest route out of that place and never look back. I have lost nearly 100 lbs because I have been working with a trainer at a center that cares about me, and believes that I can do this. Someone like that is the LAST PERSON you should work with. Keep looking around. There are good people out there who are training for the right reasons. He was the best example of what you are NOT looking for.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Yeah, that guy's filter was seriously broken. Even if people in the fitness industry are super cranky this time of year, that's no excuse to take it out on someone else, anyone else.

It might be worth it to let the dust settle, usually by the end of February the n00bs have dropped out of the picture and sanity returns.
  • 2pupsmama
    Options
    Well I guess you found out where you DON'T want to go. There are alot of gyms out there that are trying to sign on new members, obviously that wasnt one of them. Do you have access to city rec centres? I find them to be less expensive, better staffed and more likely to help you.
  • mhaight85
    Options
    Wow crazy! I don't have experience in shopping for a gym membership, but I do work in customer service and with that I will say some idiots just don't have good customer service skills. Try not to let that discourage you! He was probably just having a bad day, which doesn't excuse his behavior, and unfairly took it out on you. If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend talking to the owner/manager of the gym. Even if you never want to have a membership there, I'm sure the person in charge would appreciate knowing of their staff is discouraging potential members!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would definitely call the management. The person may be on the way out and they are probably getting a new job or about to be fired and are intentionally harming the business. I'd definitely call and ask to speak to the manager of the gym.

Monica
  • L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would complain to management there.

I called to ask for management after my friend and I left. I got a voicemail. I did leave a message but also seriously thinking about writing a letter to corporate office.
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    i'd go to the manager and inform them on your experience and then just take your business elsewhere.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Time to check out another gym. I've come acrossed good trainers and bad trainers, but they've always had the best of intentions and wanted to help. Sounds like that guy should be in another line of work. I'd ordinarily chalk it up to a bad day or being tired of the resolutionaries, but that's pretty over the top and can't really be justified in any way.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Horrifying! People like that are the reason why people lose faith in gyms, and faith in work out programs in general!

I was very fortunate, I had a great trainer when I went to World Health Gym (I wish I had trained without signing up for the gym as they definitely rip you off, they charged my card $795 illegally because it was on file from doing a payment there once... I got that money back).

I worked with Kevin Ashby, he and his wife are fitness trainers and have done competitions together and alone. He was a great motivator and didn't push me beyond what my body could do, he was also my greatest supporter and was even pushing me toward doing fitness modelling when I was done with all my training but I never was able to actually finish (health related issues). Even though I hated my body, he said it had amazing potential and I should keep working on it.

Just make sure you pick a trainer that pushes you, motivates you and supports you in the way that works best for you. And as an extra bit of personal experience advice, only sign up for a membership if they would allow you to not pay by PAP (Pre-Authorized Payment) as then you know they are in it for you and not to just get as much money as they can out of you. But that is honestly to your discrection!