Any healthy ground beef recipes??

Options

Replies

• ToshaFeb268
    Options
    Stuffed bell peppers

^^^This...also lastnight I made stuffed cabbage rolls with 93% lean ground beef. They were delicious!
  • hmgarcia83
    hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    as long as you buy 90-97% lean your good that has as much if not fewer calories then turkey and provides nutrients that the turkeys doesn't (or very little of) i make a chili but the only canned item i use is a can of tomato paste or sauce (depends on what i have hand) i add 3 cans of beans, 2-3 chopped tomatoes, 2-4 Anaheim chilies, 2-4 plablano chilies (bell peppers will make a sweet chili), a whole white onion, some garlic, 2-3 jalapenos, then cumin, chili powder to taste and just a dash or two of salt. stick in in a slow cooker while i am at work i come home to yummy and healthy
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just know whats in your food, really.

I like making egg noodle 'hamber helper', with my own spices, skim milk and some fat-free greek yogurt.
  • Firehawk2773
    Options
    Since you already have ground beef you can grill it, use it on however you want, eat in moderation. Ground beef contains lots of healthy nutrients, such as Protein, creatine, and some healthy fats. I personally would just eat them as patty's, no bread or added things. Then in the future, if you still want ground beef go organic grass fed(no hormones and allowed to roam=healthier cuts) and go as low fat as possible, but again moderation is the key. I personally live off Butterball seasoned Turkey hamburger patties, when cooked i can barely taste the difference between those patties and hamburger ones. They have worked for me amazingly well. When i want a change like Taco's is use ground turkey, season like ground beef tastes pretty much the same, granted i do add a good amount of garlic and cajun seasoning so if there is a small taste difference it's covered!
  • hmgarcia83
    hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    also here are some links on turkey vs beef moderation is key
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/543819-turkey-vs-beef-protein/
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Nutritional-Difference-Between-Hamburgers-Turkey-Burgers-11319750 (this link shows 85% not the leaner cuts)
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The first thing I found out about hamburg is to brown it well then rinse it off at least three times. I do it simply by filling the pan I've got the meat in with hot water, shake it around real well, then drain. Three times should let you see the amount of fat diminish each time on the water in the pan. I do this for all the meat I cook that I use in recipes. :smile:

Thanks, good tip.
  • ToshaFeb268
    Options
    you could do mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes on the shephards pie. That would be even more healthy!

I tried mashed cauliflower when I was doing Atkins. It was pretty good, but I prefer mashed potatoes.
  • momshorses
    momshorses Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My family does what we call "chips and dip." It is essentially a taco salad but we use the tortilla shells separately. Each person gets there own bowl and creates there own "dip" with ground beef, cottage cheese, grated cheese, salsa, lettuce..... Really depends what we have in the house at the time and what each person likes. This is a meal I can serve to my friend who has a gluton allergy as well. She can pick her own foods to put in it.

I also rinse the ground beef after it is cooked. I put it all in a strainer and rinse it under the tap then put it back in the pan (which I have rinsed as well to get the grease out of it) to reheat and get the exess water off.

Another trick I have learned is to cook extra when I cook it. I then put it in a container and freeze it so that I can prepare a fast meal if I need to. For tacos, defrost, season and serve. It really cuts down on the cooking time of many meals and I am also less likely to eat "other" not so healthy meals.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The first thing I found out about hamburg is to brown it well then rinse it off at least three times. I do it simply by filling the pan I've got the meat in with hot water, shake it around real well, then drain. Three times should let you see the amount of fat diminish each time on the water in the pan. I do this for all the meat I cook that I use in recipes. :smile:

I used to do that. Then a nutritionist informed me that I would be adding bacteria from the tap water to the meat that I just cooked and ridded of the bacteria. A lot of the time, I will cook the meat in the water so that more of the fat will be drained with it, but I never rinse the meat. Plus, the water will cool down the temperature of the meat.
  • Firehawk2773
    Options
    Try this when using ground beef for any recipe... buy the leanest ground beef you can find. Crumble cook it in a skillet. Boil a kettle of water. Put cooked ground beef in a mesh strainer and pour the boiling water through it. That will remove a LOT of the remaining fat and you will have a very lean and healthy product. As with all meat, it is high in calories and cholesterol... this process eliminates many calories and a lot of the cholesterol... but you still have to pay attention to portion sizes. I know, 3 oz feels like a tease! Hope you like this suggestion. It is great for chili and tacos and soup... any recipe where there is a liquid or gravy type base.

I don't know about the high in calories part of this, it is very high in protein, which is essential, and typically has healthy fats. Cholesterol, isn't the devil it is a required nutrient, it is the main ingrediant your body uses to make testerone in both sexes, this one hormone is the key to weight loss and lean muscles, more muscle=higher metabolism, and don't worry about putting n too much muscle ladies, the ones that you see with the huge muscles take steroids, and work out very intensely for a long time, if you want to have a body like say Jessica Alba you need some muscle(shes just an example of a non aneroxic famous person)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have some ground beef in the freezer and would like to have it for dinner tonight... Any suggestions? We're over tacos, spaghetti, hamburgers... bleh. Need something new and delicious!

I'm making a pasta bake with rotini, ricotta, spinach, and ground beef in a meat sauce. Also, we are having mushroom and swiss burgers tonight. I will often type in ground beef and a veggie or other carb and see what Google brings me.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've done the drain/hot water trick for years. It does wash out some of the flavor. However I just recently found the flavor boost by Swanson. It is GREAT. They make beef and Chicken I use both a lot. 10 cal.a pouch.
    Other thing I do is use Boca crumbles instead of beef. a lot less cal. use flavor boost for more flavor. Back to.your original question..
    Just modify your favorites. Just adjust types of ingred. you use. lo fat or fat free./ lite, what ever you use go for light or fat free when ever you can. also use google low fat hamburger recipes ground beef lots there
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    LMAO You are right on both counts, hamburger can be just as healthy as other meat if prepared properly & I see the resemblance to Hitler :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I buy 97% fat free ground beef. here is an idea
    [snip]

What do you have against beef fat?
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Taco Soup...there are lots of healthy ways to cook this. Google it and you'll find lots of recipes. :)
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as "healthy" ground beef. Best you can do is to eat only 2 to 3 oz. for each meal.

2 things. 1) You are incorrect 2) your cat looks like hitler

FTW. Seriously, I laughed out loud.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as "healthy" ground beef. Best you can do is to eat only 2 to 3 oz. for each meal.

2 things. 1) You are incorrect 2) your cat looks like hitler

This has got to be the best reply I've read on MFP. I literally lauged out loud at my desk at #2.
  • lomogeek
    lomogeek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    there's a tasty recipe for Taco Soup in the Recipes section.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    2 boxes of mac n cheese
    can of diced tomatoes
    green pepper
    onion
    mushrooms
    lots of cheddar cheese
    1/2 cupish of sour cream
    1 lb ground beef

Yum!