Well That Was Encouraging.......NOT!

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    maybe he had the balls to say that to you because he knows you won't come back.

i don't know about you, but when i get told things like that, i use it as fuel.

freshman year of college i was the worst swimmer on the team. coach didn't give me much attention or training, and put me in one event at each meet. i knew he pretty much didn't want me on the team, but he couldn't cut me. so i never missed a practice and pushed hard.

senior year i was team captain.
  • L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are sooooo (i don't want to say stupid but yanno ) that I think that I am secretly being video taped for some type of show. What you described would be one of those times.

I am not usually the type to hold my tongue but it was 7:00 in the morning and I had come early to inquire about membership before heading upstairs to my office. But, I really knew after his first few comments that I wouldn't join because of him and he decided to let that gem of an insult slip out the crack of his mouth before we left.
  • L_Stradford
    Options

freshman year of college i was the worst swimmer on the team. coach didn't give me much attention or training, and put me in one event at each meet. i knew he pretty much didn't want me on the team, but he couldn't cut me. so i never missed a practice and pushed hard.

I don't know....I kind of walked out thinking he had a vagina because he was gosipping like a girl!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That's terrible. Did he just work there or actually owned the gym? I bet his boss would have a fit if he knew what he was saying to potential customers.

What an awful attitude!

Louise

No, he doesn't own the gym. But he commented that the other three people who were supposed to be there that morning called out. He was rather dilly if you catch my drift! Just running off at the mouth with his off the wall conversation topics while he walked us around the gym.

Wow. Not an excuse for him in any way, but it sounds like he's suffering from a serious case of NYRitis. I'd add your initial post to a few online review sites (such as yelp) and then contact Corporate.
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    That's terrible. Did he just work there or actually owned the gym? I bet his boss would have a fit if he knew what he was saying to potential customers.

What an awful attitude!

Louise

No, he doesn't own the gym. But he commented that the other three people who were supposed to be there that morning called out. He was rather dilly if you catch my drift! Just running off at the mouth with his off the wall conversation topics while he walked us around the gym.

Wow. Not an excuse for him in any way, but it sounds like he's suffering from a serious case of NYRitis. I'd add your initial post to a few online review sites (such as yelp) and then contact Corporate.

I am a big Yelper.....do it whether I have a good or bad experience and figured they weren't on there. Lo and behold, they are! The few reviews on there are bad.
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That is INSANE! I would talk to the management of that gym and get his *kitten* FIRED!!!! Ridiculous!!! Don't let this low person deter you from joining a good gym!!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    My guess is he was trying to challenge you to do it and not quit in his own very stupid way. Definitely find another gym.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Was there a hidden camera? Are you gonna be on TV?
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    That is INSANE! I would talk to the management of that gym and get his *kitten* FIRED!!!! Ridiculous!!! Don't let this low person deter you from joining a good gym!!

I wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting and I am going down after work to speak to the manager. I called after we left and still no call back.
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would complain to management there.

I called to ask for management after my friend and I left. I got a voicemail. I did leave a message but also seriously thinking about writing a letter to corporate office.
    Do it, but also put your exact experience on Yelp or any other online review source. That is ridiculous.
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    My guess is he was trying to challenge you to do it and not quit in his own very stupid way. Definitely find another gym.

Well I failed that "challenge" because he wasn't motivating at all. I am looking into LA Fitness right now.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

i tend to agree with this. i'd imagine it's pretty frustrating for trainers who are serious who sign on clients who dont treat their training seriously. yeah you're paying them money and all that and some might not give a crap if you'd rather sit around talking during their session, but there are others who dont want to waste their time with that .

of course there could have been a better way for him to assess your goals and commitment to those goals.

also i diagree with looking for a personal trainer based on how well they motivate you.. motivation, commitment and drive come from inside. a personal trainer is there to show you how to effectively reach your fitness goals, not to be something akin to a life coach
  • sphomphak
    sphomphak Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    sorry I had to pick my mouth up off the floor before I responded. That was really really bad, but he did you a favor and let you know of what his real intent was so you didn't waste your money. That is really bad service!!!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    He's suppose to think it, not say it!

However dumb he is, is is most likely right though. People give up all the time, especially people that magically start working out this week. Resolutions :p

You already have a treadmill and weights, you have all you need. Motivation doesn't grow in plants, and it's not supplied by trainers either, especially dumb ones like that one.

That guy made you save a lot of cash, so take THAT as your motivation and do what you know you have to do :)
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What the hell??! This guy obviously needs to find a new line of work . . . maybe those people quite because of his complete lack of encouragement. Don't be discouraged; there are places out there that genuinely care about you and your progress. Good luck finding one that works for you!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar experience to OP. Gym advertised we have programmable treadmills/intervals. So when I asked a trainer walking the floor how to use it, he said "I don't know Ask up front for the manual. I can't know every piece of equipment"

Fast forward a year later -- I haven't been to that gym in a a long time but still paying. Going back tonight to give a 2nd chance or else quitting. They have a new reservation system for classes. Person I spoke to on phone said you must register for all classes. Went online but can't register -- its only set up for popular classes and not the one I want. Hopefully can get in the class tonight!

I think some trainers are just so full of themselves, think they know everything about you, your workout habits, tell you what your goals should be and tell you what you've done is impossible to do based on their data (like losing a lb/week by cutting back calories alone).
  • L_Stradford
    Options

i tend to agree with this. i'd imagine it's pretty frustrating for trainers who are serious who sign on clients who dont treat their training seriously. yeah you're paying them money and all that and some might not give a crap if you'd rather sit around talking during their session, but there are others who dont want to waste their time with that .

of course there could have been a better way for him to assess your goals and commitment to those goals.

also i diagree with looking for a personal trainer based on how well they motivate you.. motivation, commitment and drive come from inside. a personal trainer is there to show you how to effectively reach your fitness goals, not to be something akin to a life coach

Who said I was looking for a motivator? I am not. I wanted to start some strength training and push myself a little harder than my little weights at home and my treadmill. I wasn't looking for his motivation but a little bit of tact would've sold the use of the gym at the very least!
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    He's suppose to think it, not say it!

However dumb he is, is is most likely right though. People give up all the time, especially people that magically start working out this week. Resolutions :p

You already have a treadmill and weights, you have all you need. Motivation doesn't grow in plants, and it's not supplied by trainers either, especially dumb ones like that one.

That guy made you save a lot of cash, so take THAT as your motivation and do what you know you have to do :)

I agree! But I wasn't looking for motivation, just some training on lifting weights and a more diverse set of machinery to work out on besides my treadmill. I have been dying to swim and the gym has a pool.
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    I've had a similar experience to OP. Gym advertised we have programmable treadmills/intervals. So when I asked a trainer walking the floor how to use it, he said "I don't know Ask up front for the manual. I can't know every piece of equipment"

Fast forward a year later -- I haven't been to that gym in a a long time but still paying. Going back tonight to give a 2nd chance or else quitting. They have a new reservation system for classes. Person I spoke to on phone said you must register for all classes. Went online but can't register -- its only set up for popular classes and not the one I want. Hopefully can get in the class tonight!

I think some trainers are just so full of themselves, think they know everything about you, your workout habits, tell you what your goals should be and tell you what you've done is impossible to do based on their data (like losing a lb/week by cutting back calories alone).

Good luck on going back tonight! You can do it!

Also, I don't think he was even talking in terms of goals, regimens, etc....I think he was merely just full of *kitten*! The reason I say this is because he was bad mouthing his coworkers and the convo kept veering to the left on topics that had diddly squat to do with exercise.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I went to a gym this morning and asked if I could take a look around. To make a long story short - I already have a treadmill and some free weights at home that I work out with daily. But I wanted to push myself and decided to look into a gym and a personal trainer.

The guy at the front desk says, "Well, I usually take people's money and say ok, I know I won't see you again but have fun on this one day you decided to exercise!" WTF! That was an answer in response to my question about joining the gym. OK, whatever, I'll let that slide; though I'm sure he isn't supposed to say things like that to potential members. But that wasn't the worse thing he said.

Before I could get my entire question out about looking for a trainer, he says "Look, for a trainer like me (though I wasn't neccesarily asking about him as he was sitting at the front and I had no idea he was even a trainer) it would cost you. I don't train certain people and I hike my prices way up and stupid people still pay for me to train them and then quit. But I still charge them for the entire month. Fat people are usually the first quitters, no offense!" I thought this was a rather rude and out-of-left-field response. I was honestly floored by what he said.

Well, I had a friend there with me who instantly flipped out and we decided that was not the gym to join if they had staffers like him working there. But has anyone ever had this sort of experience. It makes me not want to go out and look anymore. Bad first experience.

This sounds so much like the gym I had first tried here in the small town I'm living in right now. big jerks that think they are god's gift and can do whatever they want. I fell in love with my workout joe's gym. It is so nice going into a place you feel so welcomed, no pressure, and everyone is there for the same goal "TO GET HFIT and BE HEALTHY" it may take 2 or 3 different gyms till you find the perfect one fthat's you. Good luck and I hope you don't encounter more rude jerks. I would also call that gym and ask for the managers name. Write up a letter and mail to the gym explaining what went on the meathead's name and say because of his rudeness you lost two possible clients.

Thanks, Ashley! I think I will stick with my treadmill, little free weights and Jillian for right now until I can get somewhere else. But that gym was very convenient, right underneath my office over in the connecting building.

Darn that really does suck but I would still send that letter to the manager so they would know