Well That Was Encouraging.......NOT!

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You should have looked him up and down and said: "Well, I wasn't looking for a trainer like you. Do you even lift?"
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    considering 1000 people told him the same thing this week....

you know what? gym staff is not there to motivate you. They are not there to teach you. They are not there to train you.

They are there to answer the phone, scan your ID, smile and wish you a good workout, and let you borrow pens and sneak friends in.

The gym is just like a bank.

You dont get money from a bank. You just go there and handle business and leave. If you're broke - is it the teller's fault?
  • L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You should have looked him up and down and said: "Well, I wasn't looking for a trainer like you. Do you even lift?"

LOL @ Do you even lift.....I jokingly said he didn't look like a trainer to him after he made the "fat quitters" comment and he looked at me like I had been the one insulting him the entire time about my lazy coworkers and such!
  • Beyond_Value
    Beyond_Value Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    He was ignorant and probably had a bad day or just down right negative.

Call and or go and speak to the manager and tell about his behavior because folks are trying to improve their health and he is a road block in our way.

Do you have a Gold's Gym?

I hope it wasn't Golds Gym. lol
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    He was rude.

Doesn't matter where you go....gym...bank...grocery store....you don't talk to your customers or potential customers like that. It makes you look like a douche.

End of story.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I've never had this happen but have read a lot recently on here about seriously rude gym workers and or trainers. (ps, i think most trainers are douches by default) combine that with it being january 3rd and all the resolutioners bombarding the gyms...the workers are frustrated, and i'm sure what he said is not untrue. for at least 80% of the people who will join this month. Doesn't make it right. He shouldn't have said that. Good call. Give your money to someone/somewhere else.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    His behavior was out of line but i'm sure it was all very true.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe he had the balls to say that to you because he knows you won't come back.

i don't know about you, but when i get told things like that, i use it as fuel.

freshman year of college i was the worst swimmer on the team. coach didn't give me much attention or training, and put me in one event at each meet. i knew he pretty much didn't want me on the team, but he couldn't cut me. so i never missed a practice and pushed hard.

senior year i was team captain.

i tend to agree with this. i'd imagine it's pretty frustrating for trainers who are serious who sign on clients who dont treat their training seriously. yeah you're paying them money and all that and some might not give a crap if you'd rather sit around talking during their session, but there are others who dont want to waste their time with that .

of course there could have been a better way for him to assess your goals and commitment to those goals.

also i diagree with looking for a personal trainer based on how well they motivate you.. motivation, commitment and drive come from inside. a personal trainer is there to show you how to effectively reach your fitness goals, not to be something akin to a life coach

Who said I was looking for a motivator? I am not. I wanted to start some strength training and push myself a little harder than my little weights at home and my treadmill. I wasn't looking for his motivation but a little bit of tact would've sold the use of the gym at the very least!
    '

i dont know who said it, but i sure didnt. other people have responded to this thread besides you. my "trainer has warm and fuzzy motivator" opinion was more to them than to you.

cheers
  • L_Stradford
    Options

you know what? gym staff is not there to motivate you. They are not there to teach you. They are not there to train you.

They are there to answer the phone, scan your ID, smile and wish you a good workout, and let you borrow pens and sneak friends in.

You dont get money from a bank. You just go there and handle business and leave. If you're broke - is it the teller's fault?

HUH? Ya lost me there. You have to come up with a better analogy than that one!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

^ uhh, lol

Pretty sure the guy at the front is supposed to try to sell you personal training classes and a membership and he did a terrible job at it. I think he needs to be retrained to actually make the gym money.
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    He was ignorant and probably had a bad day or just down right negative.

Call and or go and speak to the manager and tell about his behavior because folks are trying to improve their health and he is a road block in our way.

Do you have a Gold's Gym?

I hope it wasn't Golds Gym. lol

No, not a Gold's Gym....a work gym with a few annexes. Don't worry! LOL
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    He was rude.

Doesn't matter where you go....gym...bank...grocery store....you don't talk to your customers or potential customers like that. It makes you look like a douche.

End of story.

Yeah, the bank analogy totally threw me off. Nevertheless, you are right.
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That IS terrible!
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    I've never had this happen but have read a lot recently on here about seriously rude gym workers and or trainers. (ps, i think most trainers are douches by default) combine that with it being january 3rd and all the resolutioners bombarding the gyms...the workers are frustrated, and i'm sure what he said is not untrue. for at least 80% of the people who will join this month. Doesn't make it right. He shouldn't have said that. Good call. Give your money to someone/somewhere else.

Exactly. I understand frustration! I work with know-it-all attorneys for goodness sake but he didn't have to be so damn offensive with the fat quitters comment. I had already let most of his little stupid comments slide.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I went to a gym this morning and asked if I could take a look around. To make a long story short - I already have a treadmill and some free weights at home that I work out with daily. But I wanted to push myself and decided to look into a gym and a personal trainer.

The guy at the front desk says, "Well, I usually take people's money and say ok, I know I won't see you again but have fun on this one day you decided to exercise!" WTF! That was an answer in response to my question about joining the gym. OK, whatever, I'll let that slide; though I'm sure he isn't supposed to say things like that to potential members. But that wasn't the worse thing he said.

Before I could get my entire question out about looking for a trainer, he says "Look, for a trainer like me (though I wasn't neccesarily asking about him as he was sitting at the front and I had no idea he was even a trainer) it would cost you. I don't train certain people and I hike my prices way up and stupid people still pay for me to train them and then quit. But I still charge them for the entire month. Fat people are usually the first quitters, no offense!" I thought this was a rather rude and out-of-left-field response. I was honestly floored by what he said.

Well, I had a friend there with me who instantly flipped out and we decided that was not the gym to join if they had staffers like him working there. But has anyone ever had this sort of experience. It makes me not want to go out and look anymore. Bad first experience.

He should no longer have a job, what a horses ***
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had an experience with one gym that my BF at the time really wanted to try. He called me and asked me to come down. I walked in the door and the teeny girl at his side took one look at me and said "Don't expect to lose 20lbs in a month!" I hadn't even said anything yet. They then told us that to quit the gym we would need a doctors note. I don't think so. I'll decide when I want to quit the gym thanks.
  • DVMcGhie
    DVMcGhie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stay motivated and find another gym. The idea of getting to a gym daily or several times a week will keep you accountable. Have his insults roll off your shoulder... it's a new year!
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    maybe he had the balls to say that to you because he knows you won't come back.

i don't know about you, but when i get told things like that, i use it as fuel.

freshman year of college i was the worst swimmer on the team. coach didn't give me much attention or training, and put me in one event at each meet. i knew he pretty much didn't want me on the team, but he couldn't cut me. so i never missed a practice and pushed hard.

senior year i was team captain.

i tend to agree with this. i'd imagine it's pretty frustrating for trainers who are serious who sign on clients who dont treat their training seriously. yeah you're paying them money and all that and some might not give a crap if you'd rather sit around talking during their session, but there are others who dont want to waste their time with that .

of course there could have been a better way for him to assess your goals and commitment to those goals.

also i diagree with looking for a personal trainer based on how well they motivate you.. motivation, commitment and drive come from inside. a personal trainer is there to show you how to effectively reach your fitness goals, not to be something akin to a life coach

Who said I was looking for a motivator? I am not. I wanted to start some strength training and push myself a little harder than my little weights at home and my treadmill. I wasn't looking for his motivation but a little bit of tact would've sold the use of the gym at the very least!
    '

i dont know who said it, but i sure didnt. other people have responded to this thread besides you. my "trainer has warm and fuzzy motivator" was more to them than to you.

cheers

Not sure what to really make of your comment so....
  • L_Stradford
    Options

^ uhh, lol

Pretty sure the guy at the front is supposed to try to sell you personal training classes and a membership and he did a terrible job at it. I think he needs to be retrained to actually make the gym money.

I also LOL'ed at this analogy because call me slow here, but I honestly didn't get it! The whole bank, money, teller's fault, fat quitters!!!! I don't know what any of it had to do with each other.
  • gemstone4
    gemstone4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hate that your experience to do something positive turned out so badly. But I would love it if you returned to that same trainer and let him see the newer healthier you. Also let him know you decided to invest in someone better than him- yourself. Hope this outlook will inspire you. I know it inspires me already.