Well That Was Encouraging.......NOT!

Options

Replies

• L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Stay motivated and find another gym. The idea of getting to a gym daily or several times a week will keep you accountable. Have his insults roll off your shoulder... it's a new year!

Great encouragement. Thanks!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    considering 1000 people told him the same thing this week....

you know what? gym staff is not there to motivate you. They are not there to teach you. They are not there to train you.

They are there to answer the phone, scan your ID, smile and wish you a good workout, and let you borrow pens and sneak friends in.

The gym is just like a bank.

You dont get money from a bank. You just go there and handle business and leave. If you're broke - is it the teller's fault?

^ uhh, lol

Pretty sure the guy at the front is supposed to try to sell you personal training classes and a membership and he did a terrible job at it. I think he needs to be retrained to actually make the gym money.

I also LOL'ed at this analogy because call me slow here, but I honestly didn't get it! The whole bank, money, teller's fault, fat quitters!!!! I don't know what any of it had to do with each other.

good luck on your 82 pound goal.
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    I hate that your experience to do something positive turned out so badly. But I would love it if you returned to that same trainer and let him see the newer healthier you. Also let him know you decided to invest in someone better than him- yourself. Hope this outlook will inspire you. I know it inspires me already.

Thanks, a lot! I will say that it kind of convinced me to just stay home and keep working out there. It'll save me $300 bucks annually. But your outlook on it is inspiring.

Good luck with your journey!
  • L_Stradford
    Options

you know what? gym staff is not there to motivate you. They are not there to teach you. They are not there to train you.

They are there to answer the phone, scan your ID, smile and wish you a good workout, and let you borrow pens and sneak friends in.

The gym is just like a bank.

You dont get money from a bank. You just go there and handle business and leave. If you're broke - is it the teller's fault?

^ uhh, lol

Pretty sure the guy at the front is supposed to try to sell you personal training classes and a membership and he did a terrible job at it. I think he needs to be retrained to actually make the gym money.

I also LOL'ed at this analogy because call me slow here, but I honestly didn't get it! The whole bank, money, teller's fault, fat quitters!!!! I don't know what any of it had to do with each other.

good luck on your 82 pound goal.

Thanks! Way to go on your 99 pound loss. Now, that's encouraging!
  • bpauntie
    bpauntie Posts: 20 Member
    Options

As trainers, yes they are. That's what they are paid to do, and he, supposedly, was a trainer.

It doesn't matter how many people came to him and said the same thing. All people can't be lumped into the same category. There are some that will follow through, will do the work, will continue the training and will get fit. He is in a service industry, and good service, no matter what type, is key to getting and keeping a customer base.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • gemstone4
    gemstone4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am proud of you. You have permission to keep your BUZZ :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I would say, consider yourself lucky that he told you all this BEFORE you gave him your money. An inadvertent favor.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I would say, consider yourself lucky that he told you all this BEFORE you gave him your money. An inadvertent favor.
    ^ This. You already wasted time on him. Thank God you didn't waste your money on him! But I'd complain and demand the gym make it up to you!
  • jeanmariemcp
    jeanmariemcp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If that gym was conveniently located for me and only $300/yr I think I'd join anyway. Screw that guy. Don't let him make decisions for you. Talk to the manager and let him/her know what happened and then go prove that dude wrong. It would motivate me to get there just to look in his eyes each time as an "I told you so".
  • L_Stradford
    Options

Yup, you're right!
  • mominwi419
    Options
    Stay motivated and find another gym. The idea of getting to a gym daily or several times a week will keep you accountable. Have his insults roll off your shoulder... it's a new year!

Congrats on your 10 pound loss and much luck towards your final goal!

You got it in the bag! Don't let one DB ruin it. Take it and use it as fuel.

At my largest, I had a doctor tell me that I needed to consider prescription appetite suppressants or weight loss surgery because I was not going to be able to do it on my own.

I never saw that doctor again, but I used his words as fuel and got into the best shape of my life.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    That trainer will go far. I see great success in his future.
  • L_Stradford
    Options

Congrats on your 10 pound loss and much luck towards your final goal!

You got it in the bag! Don't let one DB ruin it. Take it and use it as fuel.

At my largest, I had a doctor tell me that I needed to consider prescription appetite suppressants or weight loss surgery because I was not going to be able to do it on my own.

I never saw that doctor again, but I used his words as fuel and got into the best shape of my life.

Thanks, a lot! I have worked out no less than 3-4 days a week since November 25th and I got on the scale on December 15th with a 10 pound loss. I am excited to see what the scale and my measurements are next when I track this Sunday.

Good for you. App suppressants and surgery do not teach healthy living most of the time and I'm happy for you that you did it and without either!

Very inspiring!!!
  • krstfolo
    Options

Horrible thing is that it's a gym associated with my work place. There are 6 annexes to the gym so that's rather small. But I was just very turned off by this guy's attitude and pretty intimidated after that because I'm just thinking "Is that what all trainers feel about overweight people!?!"

Oh man this just makes me so sad. As someone deeply involved in the fitness community it really makes me sad to see and hear about this behavior. No, not all trainers view people that are overweight that way or feel like this...well nice words escape me on what to call this individual, so I will just say person. Quality trainers view overweight people as someone who needs a little motivation and direction to become healthy. Most people are in the position of being overweight because they have never known any other life style or they do not know how to get back to being fit and making it work with their day to day life. It is not easy. If it was everyone would be skinny and fit. Quality trainers will support you, motivate you, share in your successful milestones, and occasionally kick you in the rear when you need it. They are truly counselors and teachers of fitness and health who want to see you succeed and be healthy. My recommendation as you look for a quality trainer is to continue with what you have in your house. I am a huge fan of Jillian Michaels and love her stuff. So between that, free weights, and a treadmill you are on the right path. Dial in a quality nutrition program and you will see success. Please don't let this sorry excuse of a person derail you from meeting your goal or from finding a quality trainer and gym. And as one other poster mentions. Prove that man wrong.
  • krstfolo
    Options
    Oh and one more thing. For some awesome motivation check out the Under Armour What's Beautiful Community. http://whatsbeautiful.ua.com/?cid=DA|facebook.com|whatsbeautiful (WFS) There are so many aspirational women on there that have all kinds of different backgrounds and stories. They will truly motivate you and celebrate in your success in fitness through your journey. Plus there are really cool challenges that you can do and it is only for women.
  • L_Stradford
    Options

Horrible thing is that it's a gym associated with my work place. There are 6 annexes to the gym so that's rather small. But I was just very turned off by this guy's attitude and pretty intimidated after that because I'm just thinking "Is that what all trainers feel about overweight people!?!"

Oh man this just makes me so sad. As someone deeply involved in the fitness community it really makes me sad to see and hear about this behavior. No, not all trainers view people that are overweight that way or feel like this...well nice words escape me on what to call this individual, so I will just say person. Quality trainers view overweight people as someone who needs a little motivation and direction to become healthy. Most people are in the position of being overweight because they have never known any other life style or they do not know how to get back to being fit and making it work with their day to day life. It is not easy. If it was everyone would be skinny and fit. Quality trainers will support you, motivate you, share in your successful milestones, and occasionally kick you in the rear when you need it. They are truly counselors and teachers of fitness and health who want to see you succeed and be healthy. My recommendation as you look for a quality trainer is to continue with what you have in your house. I am a huge fan of Jillian Michaels and love her stuff. So between that, free weights, and a treadmill you are on the right path. Dial in a quality nutrition program and you will see success. Please don't let this sorry excuse of a person derail you from meeting your goal or from finding a quality trainer and gym. And as one other poster mentions. Prove that man wrong.

I love this comment! This was me, not growing up eating healthily at all and thought I would be a size 4 my entire life! Well, marriage, a child, and just an unhealthy lifestyle overall took me to a size 12/14. So, this makes me happy to see someone who has such kind words about weight loss.

Thanks, so much, and I will prove him wrong!
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    Oh and one more thing. For some awesome motivation check out the Under Armour What's Beautiful Community. http://whatsbeautiful.ua.com/?cid=DA|facebook.com|whatsbeautiful (WFS) There are so many aspirational women on there that have all kinds of different backgrounds and stories. They will truly motivate you and celebrate in your success in fitness through your journey. Plus there are really cool challenges that you can do and it is only for women.

Thanks! I was a part of the all women fitness center "Curves" when I actually was in shape and I loved it. Sadly, there isn't one by me anymore.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i've never been treated like that at any gym and i WOULD complain to management. if you're not comfortable complaining face to face then send management an email and make sure you give the person's name and outline exactly what the person said and why you will NOT join and why you WILL pass on your thoughts about the facility to any and all individuals who will listen to you. bad word of mouth spreads faster than wildfires.
  • L_Stradford
    Options
    i've never been treated like that at any gym and i WOULD complain to management. if you're not comfortable complaining face to face then send management an email and make sure you give the person's name and outline exactly what the person said and why you will NOT join and why you WILL pass on your thoughts about the facility to any and all individuals who will listen to you. bad word of mouth spreads faster than wildfires.

Oh, I'm not shy in the least so I am going back to the gym after work to speak with a manager.