Nervous about going to the gym...

Options

Replies

• WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options

I don't see where it is wrong. As I said in my own post, I think that people who actually take responsibility for their choices and take action to change their lives are better than those that do nothing but whine about how they can't change for the better.

In my opinion, that does make someone the better person. Someone who is willing to brave the unknown and go for their goals. Someone who positively tries to better themselves rather than the person who just tries to bring others down with them because they are too lazy, too unmotivated, or just not committed to change.

No where did I say what he said was "wrong"...

And I agree up to a point with what you are saying here... though I don't think I'm "better" than a person who isn't doing what I do for fitness.

I think you (and the poster I quoted) failed to see my point. Negativity has nothing to do with my bringing to his attention the irony in his choice of words.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    ummmmmmmmmmm what?!?! Guts has nothing to do with trying, this isn't running into a war zone. If you want to say the drive to try and make an effort is the exact same as sitting around and not even bothering than I believe you may be the one rambling the psycho babble. She is making that effort and making an effort to meet some new goals, she is in fact better than the person sitting on the couch scoffing at the idea of ever trying to better themselves. Being that this was meant to motivate and not to turn into a crazy argument thread please direct your next dozen or so witty comebacks towards your dozen or so cats, I have signed off from your nonsense.

Calling it like I see it... and your motivations were ironic given that you were attempting to motivate the OP.

I think you've seriously misinterpreted the meaning behind his post. It is very motivating. It means dont make yourself feel bad comparing yourself to that guy over there that has been doing this forever, and that you are just starting out and cant lift as much or run as fast as he right now, whatever YOU are out there doing is better than you, or anyone else sitting on the couch doing nothing. Baby steps. Yay for getting out there and doing something for yourself. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Better?!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I love cats, I have many, they are my children
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Down Boy! SIT!!!! Lay down! Sniff that other dogs butt! sigh.... Good dog.
  • Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Walk in there like you do it all the time. Not everyone judges. Remember, you are not out to impress anyone, you are going for yourself. Good luck :)
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm am extremely self conscious and overweight teenage girl and I bought a gym membership with a bunch of (much much slimmer) friends for our New Years fitness goals etc, and we're going tomorrow, but I'm really nervous because I don't want to be judged for being so overweight and unfit... How have people in the same situation found it? I know it sounds stupid :(

people don't care that your overweight they will actually look at you positively if you actually stick with it and accomplish your goals. stop worrying about what others think and focus on yourself
  • TinaCleg
    Options
    It's never stupid if it bothers you. You can do it!
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    keep in mind you have already beat every other person who won't even try

Great job that you accomplished some goals for yourself in the gym... but the above attitude sucks, quite frankly, and is at the root of the problem that the OP has brought up here... judgment of others.

How is he judging her? hes telling her to go kick some *kitten* in the gym
  • cgirly
    cgirly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you do run into people that are judging you, let them judge. For every person that you think is judging you, there are many others thinking this: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Thanks for posting that link.... made me smile. I've bookmarked for days when I come back from the gym with a bright red sweaty face :)
  • mitzygirl
    Options
    I take solace in the fact that everyone in the gym is there for the same fudemental reason I am, to improve ones over all health.

I uderstand how you feel though, I feel the same way as an young adult. Much like stage fright, "gym fright" will disapate with time as you get used to the facility and the equipment. Take advantage of any supports the gym might offer (coaching, fitness assesments ect.) As a group, you will support eachother regardless of everyones shapes and sizes. We're not all Barbies with a manufactured torso.

Our bodies change all the time, the important thing is to stay healthy and happy.
  • farmgirl1973
    farmgirl1973 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you do run into people that are judging you, let them judge. For every person that you think is judging you, there are many others thinking this: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

That was amazing.
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was a bit self conscious when i first started gong to gyms, but then i started thinking that when you see bigger people at gyms, (myself included) they are making a positive effort, they are working out to get the results they want. Just like everyone else there.
    So i don't worry anymore, i'm no longer scared to be dripping with sweat or have jiggly bits jiggling when i run on the treadmill.
    Cos i know eventually if i keep at it and don't let thinking about what other people think get in my way, i will have the body i want and the jiggly bits won't jiggle
    :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I love cats, I have many, they are my children

refrigerator
  • Rcsie
    Rcsie Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you again guys, these were all brilliant and I will definitely be down there all the time!
  • spongebex
    spongebex Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the support everyone - i went today and it was brilliant, and I'd even be happy going on my own (I went with friends) I was that unintimidated :) thank you!

I was wondering how you got on! I am so pleased (and so will others be) that you found it a positive experience! In fact it has inspired me to go tomorrow as I have been putting it off (I haven't been to my gym for nearly 7weeks) so thank-you! And I hope you continue to enjoy it x
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    glad you had a good workout!!!
  • Lizsullie
    Lizsullie Posts: 70 Member
    Options

What a great link! Thank you :D
  • AMS44067
    Options
    I have never been in a gym, and I am 59!!!! All you see on TV are these babes and muscular guys going to the gyms with their big bags, and I always thought that these people actually don't need to go there.
    If they would have had gyms when I was young I think things would be different.
    You are young and you have every opportunity to make changes now. And if you have friends who go with you, you are just going to have fun.
    Go and enjoy!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I had that concern at first as well, but then after talking to a few people I realized that they didn't negatively judge me for doing the right thing and trying to get into shape. The only person in the room thinking about you is you!
  • MiTime2016
    MiTime2016 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you again guys, these were all brilliant and I will definitely be down there all the time!

Proud of you!!!
    :happy: :happy: :happy: