WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• c0c0nn0r
    Options
    I purchased the Fitbit ultra yesterday and downloaded it ---so excited to have it -- but it had 259 steps on it last night and this a.m. when I took it off the charger it still had 259 steps...am I suppossed to reset it everyday? and if so how? I want to reach 26,000 + steps like Barbie one day.

Michele from NC - You are such a good writer how about sending DIL a card filled with written warm fuzzys welcoming her into your family

Rebel - love the quotes

Madison1352 - Really like your goal "accept myself"

LinC - Good for you not eating those macaroons .. I prefer to work for men also

Kate - I love the cloak visualization and message - thank you

Have a great day everyone!

Colleen
  • lhalket
    lhalket Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this board - I need much motivation because this is the year!

Look forward to chatting with you all.
  • TeddieK
    TeddieK Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing looking for support and learning how to use these boards.
  • Charlotte0713
    Options
    Would love to join your group!!! :smile:
  • LillieMaesMom
    LillieMaesMom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen! The fact that you and your husband made the decision to do this together is the biggest-hardest step, so that IS impressive! This is how I'm looking at my journey to change to a permanently healthy lifestyle:

I am going to follow my program because it is the best thing I can do for myself -- regardless of whatever others are doing/thinking/saying, I'm the only one who can make this work or make it fail.

I've been a slave to my body for years, listening to it tell me it's hungry, bored, lonely, tired and then using food for comfort. I am making my body a slave to me. If it tells me it's hungry when it isn't time to eat, I'm telling it "no!"

I'm setting myself up with a wonderful online support system, and finding other activities to take the place of sitting in front of the tv and mindlessly eating. It isn't comfortable right now to make this change, but doing what was comfortable is what got me into this shape.

I have a 1200 calorie per day limit, and want to lose around 50 pounds. If a person needs to lose substantially more than that, the calorie ceiling could go up to 1500. It looks like you will probably want to stick with the 1200 limit.

I'm setting my goals in 10 lb increments, so I won't get overwhelmed with the total amount I need to lose. I'm not good at maintaining (I've lost substantial amounts at Weight Watchers twice, but gained it back) so I'll be learning about that when the time comes. I want this to be the last time for major weight loss.

Hope that helps a little! I'll be rooting for you and your hubby!

Blessings, Pam
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Don't have time to read everything - (but I did scan for my name :blushing: ).

Yesterday was hubbie's first day logging - he came to tell me he was 21 calories over. I asked if he'd put in the meatball he'd snatched from the leftovers and he hadn't. He's going to realize how logging every bite of everything is going to add up. Heck, he puts two teaspoons of sugar and about an ounce of half and half in his coffee.

Tomorrow is my weigh in and I sill be SHOCKED if I've lost even an ounce. Although I am supposed to have a 1900 calorie deficit, which would be 1/2 pound loss - it would still surprise me. I ate my way through this week.

I will be on my game next week though.

Mwheatcraft54 - I had something to say to something you said, but I lost it. :sad: I am over 50 :laugh:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Happy 2013~ I have been mia because I am sick...AGAIN GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Had a blast NYE and did dance my feet off (had the blisters to prove it), then woke up with raging sore throat. I thought it was from singing as loudly as I could while dancing, but no...it's back to the sinus issue, horrible sore throat, etc. etc. etc. I did manage to do about 10 minutes of the wii fit yoga last night. Apparentlty i have very good balance...who knew. Well I'm heading back to bed again. I woke up a bit ago with 2 cats and a dog snoring away on me. Hopefully I will see you all tomorrow. I am hoping for a better 2013 than this! Take care Meg
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Megblair - dancing until you have blisters and singing until your throat is sore - now that's a New Year party I want to go to!!!:drinker:
  • c0c0nn0r
    Options
    bump
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    MegBlair-

I admire your good balance, and I'm doing something about improving mine. I'm working slowly to get stronger, and I think that will help. I went to my yoga class this morning and no one was there. :ohwell: I hope that isn't the case next time I go because yoga is a big help in improving balance and core strength. I'm sorry to hear about the illness, though. Some times these things grab us and hang on. I hope you feel better soon.:flowerforyou:
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bored, so posting again – but not nearly as long, I promise!

Kate, I wanted to say how thoughtful and wise I thought your letter to Robin was. You are a good, caring person. Thanks for doing that.

Cheryl, LOL at the 50+ brain – and probably hormone-deficient too. Anyway, I’ll be around if you remember. Be sure to point out to DH that he’s welcome to all the leftover meatballs he wants – so long as he puts the container enough steps away (to earn the calories to eat them) :laugh:.

Welcome to all the new people – you’ll enjoy visiting with us!

JaneH, I miss the 300 days of sunshine that is Denver. It is sunny back here too though, and I made myself get out and walk today to take advantage of that. How are your feet feeling? Any help from your doctors? And I missed – did you get to see your children over the holidays (I saw that your son was there)? I made sure to toss the Christmas cookies and throw out the NYE chips :laugh:. Yes, sugar is not a good thing. I’m constantly amazed at how much it spurs my cravings.

Karen from MI, I love your goal! Persistency is a key – perhaps THE key, because at the end of the day you’ll find you’re not on a diet, you’re on a way of life.

Colleen, I don’t know about the Fitbit, but it seems like it should reset itself. Do you have it on the proper time zone? That might make a difference.

Pam, I like the idea of setting your goals in 10lb increments – very reasonable to look at it that way. It doesn’t seem so insurmountable then.

Meg, {{{hugs}}} feel better soon. Take care of those poor tootsies too!

So I’m trying to follow this “metabolism kickstart” guide that came with my new Combat DVDs – but for some reason it feels really more like a diet. It’s restricting my fats to the point that I think it’s not doing me any good. I didn’t realize how much until I saw that an ounce of nuts this afternoon had more fat grams than my entire day’s worth of food yesterday. Not good. I’m also feeling hungry – something I don’t typically do. I figured it was only for seven days, and anyone could do it for seven days, but I’m only on day 2. I’m not sure I’m going to last, and that’s saying something (I’m not really a quitter).

Maybe I’m just out of sorts. I haven’t felt too good today. No, I refuse to get sick! Aw, well, I’m off to go have more veggie chili for dinner and try to plan out meals for the rest of the week. Have a wonderful evening, all!

Cheers,

M.
  • TeddieK
    TeddieK Posts: 10
    Options
    Deb you weight lose and you new attitude are wonderful.
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    WOW! I can’t believe how MUCH there is already on the January thread!

WELCOME to all of the new members~ you will find an INCREDIBLE base of SUPPORT here! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Today was my last session with the physical therapy folks. They have literally changed my life, and I am truly THANKFUL! They took me “upstairs” to the regular gym today, so now I have a complete workout that I can continue on my own. My next step will be to investigate getting a personal trainer, and map out a more individualized plan. :smile:

I am looking forward to returning to school, and meeting my students. I admit to being a bit anxious about meeting my new principal, and it will be “different” with so many of my former co-workers in other buildings now, or retired. I hope I have enough stamina to finish out the school year. I sure am going to TRY! My Mom is experiencing more issues with growing older, and I can see that I will be her full-time caretaker down the road. She has really become more frail and forgetful lately, and that worries me. My school is 38 miles away from home. I worry about her here in town when she doesn’t answer the phone for some reason or another; I’m sure that will increase when I am away at work.
    OK~ enough of me~ let’s get on to encouraging YOU! :flowerforyou:

LucyT4dieting: you will NOT find a more supportive group, ANYWHERE! These Ladies are the BEST!

Janehadji: it is always good to hear from you! :flowerforyou: I LOVE your idea of self-improvement goals, since you are already into the losing weight and improving health goals. I, too, am a procrastinator, so I’m hoping your inspiration will rub off on me, too!

Momoshelly: you’ve found the RIGHT place! I have MORE than 100 pounds to lose~ hope we can support each other down that long and winding road…..

MTGWW: WELCOME to 50+, you will find a LOT of support here! Just log your food diary, and read the message board as often as you can for that much-needed support. These ladies will back you to the moon and beyond!

C0c0nn0r: let me know when you get your fitbit figured out, how you like it. It may be something I need to do…. anyone else who uses and loves it, please enlighten me. :huh:

Lhalket: WELCOME! You will find much encouragement and support here!

TeddieK: just jump right in! You will find great friends and support at 50+!

Charlotte0713: WELCOME! Read the board as often as you can for support, and post if you feel like it!

LilleMaesMom: WELCOME! You’ve made a GREAT choice!

Wessecg: I’m sure you will have a good weigh-in. You usually do! :flowerforyou:

Meg: sorry to hear that you’re sick with the sinus crud AGAIN….:sick: Hope you are feeling better SOON! :bigsmile:

Katla49: I’m surprised NO ONE was at your class! :noway: Must have been a scheduling snafu:…:huh: maybe I should try yoga~ I am not very good at balancing… :ohwell:

Mwheatcraft54: you seem to be a WISE lady~ and you’ve been successful so far with your weight loss. :flowerforyou: Listen to your body and what you KNOW to work for you, rather than what someone on the DVD says…

Here’s what Kellie Dye said in our weight management class today: :love:
    Efforts to quit a bad habit will FAIL if they focus solely on deprivation = reward deficiency
    Replacing a bad habit with a healthier one = SUCCESS!
    Don’t get stuck on the goal ~~ focus on walking down the path! :love: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart:

I wish you all a successful week! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    AND.... drink your water, Janie! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Janie :flowerforyou: :heart: :happy:
  • angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you to. All the best for 2013. I really enjoy this site, it helps me immensely.
    Feel free to add me as a freind.
    Angela
    :tongue:
  • Chavezmonster
    Options
    Well I haven't broken down and started to exercise yet as I HATE it. I am having surgery tomorrow so (luckily) will be able to put it off for a couple more weeks haha! I have never done Yoga or weight training. I do love to walk and have an exercise ball so think my best bet is to start out with that! Good eating habits ladies - not good luck! :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Lile - I NEVER thought of quinoa as cereal for breakfast. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm always looking for things high in protein for breakfast. There's not a whole lot out there, tho. Good suggestion, I'm going to put it on my shopping list right now. You know, I notice when there's salt in things. Like Harris Teeter turkey breast had only 8% sodium, but I could taste it. I'm tending to like Hormel. It's not that it's a bad taste -- just interesting that I could taste it

carey - welcome. I used to be on Livestrong but the site constantly kept going down. I don't think they had enought bandwith or whatever. Hopefully, that's been rectified. Anyway, that's what prompted me to be here. One of the things that I did like that they have is when you log your food, you get a visual of percentage of fats/protein/carbs, not just a number.

DeeDee - let me know what your stylist says about your hair turing pink. I'd be very interested. We, too, have a few more decorations to put away. Actually, I'm going to have mahjongg here Monday night and Vince already said "you're going to be after me to get the tree down by Monday, aren't you?"

Remember when I said how my tooth felt "funny" where it had been removed? Well, totally unrelated, I got a sinus headache and took a Sudafed. Then I realized that my gum was no longer hurting me. Now I do have very bad sinuses, and I knew what it felt like when the sinuses were inflamed and pushing down on the tooth. Well, I went to the dentist today even tho I no longer have pain and told him that I realized that the pain went away after I'd taken a Sudafed, but I just want to be sure that it's healing correctly and that it was, in fact, sinus pressure -- just that this is the first time I experienced it without a tooth. Yup, that's what it was!!! They did take an x-ray. But surprise, surprise, they didn't charge me for that visit. Not even for the x-ray which I thought for sure they'd charge me for. Well, maybe sometime in the future I'll get a bill, if not -- Happy New Year to me!

Vince just told me that the dentist he and Jessica go to is selling his practice. Maybe they'll go to my dentist now.

Did 45 minutes of Tami Lee Webb's "I Want That Body" DVD today (weights). Tomorrow I'll try out the bosu DVD that I got for Christmas.

Amanda - I'm so sorry you're not feeling qwell. Absolutely, DO NOT ignore that blood. You are very wise to be getting it checked out.

Lin - congrats on not having those blasted cookies. When it comes to work, I think men are more logical whereas women are more emotional. I know that I'm the emotional one in our family. If someone has a work/boss-related problem, they usually want to talk to Vince because he can look at just the facts, whereas I will put my feelings into it. Yes, I need to come here more than once a day, I just jot things down, save them, and then post them at the end of the day.

Well, gals, I did it TODAY. That darned Wii character FINALLY stopped saying "that's overweight". Ok, it's probably not by much and tomorrow it'll probably say "that's overweight" again. But it did feel good.

Tigress - in this past year, how many times have you said "wonder where I found the time to work?"

M - congrats on those pants! Feels good, huh? That's good to know that the beans don't have to be frozen individually. Thanks. I use my MFP app all the time when we go away. I just find it simpler to use my desktop, but I'm certainly not against using the app. We just got back from Olive Garden. I took your advice and had the soup and salad, but I also had a side order of steamed broccoli and grilled chicken. Now I am so full that I only had half of the salad, and really, I didn't even need to bother to order it. Thanks for the suggestion

Welcome to everyone who recently joined us. You'll find this to be a fantastic place to be with lots of good ideas and advice.

katla - you're right, when the blood in my poo is bright red, it is usually my hemmerhoids.

kellysmom - if you're looking for a group of wonderful supportive ladies, look no further.

positivepower - welcome! How great that you run! That's just not something that interests me, but I admire people who do it

LucyT4Dieting - what part of DE are you in? We used to live in Kennett Square.

Shelly - pull up a chair around the kitchen table.

Karen - it all starts with one step..... I usually have about 1253 calories/day (some days more, some days less) and exercise for about 60 min/day (I think I'm addicted to exercise!)

Colleen - that's a great idea about sending Dianna a card! Somehow I've got to make it a bit on the personal side, since I don't know how much English she understands (can she even read it? I don't know). Does anyone have any ideas for "warm fuzzies" that I can maybe include in the card. Since I'm not sure how much English she can read, I'd probably want to go with something in the card other than writing.

My goal for this month was to increase my protein. Now there are still some carb-heavy cereals that I want to use up, like I have a Hodgson Mill soy & flaxseed hot cereal. Once I use it up, I won't get any more. I'm TRYING to elminate "junk" food, at least cut down on it. Barbie's right, I want to try to include foods that will only fuel my body. But on the way to OG today I had a mint dark chocolate 3 Musketeer, mainly for the mint. Then after lunch I had one piece of the mints that OG gives you.

Pam - what a great post you wrote to Karen.

Cheryl - sounds like your hubby will learn what we've all learned. That even tho we don't think we're eating something high calorie (like all his sugar), we really are. One teaspoon of sugar seems like it wouldn't have a lot of calories....hey, it's so small. But it does. He will probably modify the way he eats, maybe only having three fourths as much sugar, then half, maybe eventually none. It doesn't seem like those little nibbles would add up, but they do. Good for him doing this with you!

Meg - I hope you get better fast. It's good to know, tho, that you're keeping warm......lol

The back of my ankle seems to be hurting when I walk. I'm suspecting it's an inflamed achilles tendon. I'm not sure, so I'm hoping to be able to get into the MD's office tomorrow. From everything I've read on the Internet it says that an inflamed achilles tendon won't get better without medical help. Not exactly sure what that means. I'm not in so much pain that I need any Tylenol or anything like that. I just don't want this to get real bad to where I'm in excruciating pain and need surgery. The Internet also recommended orthotics to take some of the pressure off the tendon, but I'm not sure what kind of orthotic they are talking about. So I'm hoping to get some answers tomorrow

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening

Michele in NC
  • Judy7190
    Options
    Excited to have found this site! Joined today and hoping to make some long term life style changes.
  • dmendel64
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I signed up months ago and did nothing (except gain more weight) I. like a million other people have decided that this new year I want to be healthier and loose weight! Unfortunately, this is not a new resolution but sadly one I make each year and fail at each year.

I am more of an introvert and new to writing on message boards, so I hope I am doing this correctly. This year I decided I need help to keep me accountable and honest about my eating. I am willing to put myself out there, open up more and change my approach to getting healthy.

I am just about 50, and my husband and I have a 4year old. I need to lose this weight once and for all to be healthy not only for me, but also for this beautiful child of ours!

I am excited to be part of this group and hope that this time, this year and with this group I will finally lose the weight and KEEP IT OFF!

Thank you and best wishes to all for a healthy and successful weight loss journey,
    dmendel
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good evening all! I only have a few minutes, but wanted to check in.

Michelle- for my now DIL I made a scrapbook of my son's life as a gift at her bridal shower. It was short, but included a few baby pictures, pictures of family members, and pics from key events in his life. I wanted Jenn to see what his childhood was like and to get to know a little about how his personality developed as he grew up. It was so much fun to do- and I am NOT into scrapbooking. I don't think of myself as being very creative. Jenn has a very outgoing personality and was very chatty as she opened gifts, but when she opened the scrapbook she got all chocked up and couldn't speak. The big hug she gave me made all of the worry that it wouldn't be done well enough disappear. She and her mother both told me later how much they appreciated the chance to get to "know" the child Chris was. I need to find a dvd for working out with weights. Maybe I will go to our library and see if they have any.

I went to the doctor for a weigh in yesterday. The scale was up 1 pound, but I had lost 1.5 of fat and gained 1.5 muscle and was up 1 pound in water weight. At least I didn't gain any fat over the holidays. That much is very encouraging as I wasn't as strict about my diet as I usually am. I did enjoy some treats and didn't log every day. Now I need to get serious about getting more toned!!

Don't know why I have been so tired, but maybe it is my sinuses. I have had awful sinus headaches lately. Hope a cup of hot water and lemon along with a good night's sleep will help! Be back tomorrow and will try to respond to more.

Have a great evening!

Deb A from central New York
  • mch1956
    mch1956 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I got my fitbit I had to change the time zone because it was resetting the day at a different time than I expected it to. It looks like you have the same problem. I think the time zone was in the settings, it has been a couple of months since I got it. I wear the fitbit every day, it keeps really god track of steps taken.

Goal for January - 100 miles logged on recumbant bike and from fitbit.

Keep coming back,
    MaryC, SE WI