Raw vegetables and fruit have calories?

Options

Replies

• Shabadu
    Shabadu Posts: 211
    Options
    I didn't read every single reply so I might be doubling up, but I'll say it anyway.
    Calories are a unit of measuring energy. Everything you eat contains energy, even natural produce.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fruit and veg are easily digested though because when they are raw they have their digestive enzymes intact so they do wonders for your body. If you went over because of the amount of raw food you're eating then good job.

But I have to wonder, if you didn't know that fruit & veg had calories, are you eating them on a regular basis? Fresh food is not an option in my opinion if you want to be healthy.

Having natural "enzymes" in your diet show no significant benefits. Living things have enzymes, which are primarily proteins that facilitate chemical reactions. When you eat these proteins they are broken down and denatured and are no more beneficial than other proteins. "Raw" diets are mostly just quackery with claims by unqualified people.

I predict you'll do well here. :):flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time imagining the amount of fruit and vegetables you would need to eat to go over your goal. What else did you eat today? That's what made you go over.

Maybe we need to ask what the calorie goal is too. OP, did you only eat raw veggies and fruits? Did you use any kind of dressing? Did you drink anything - like juice, a protein shake, etc??
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    if fruit and vegetables did not have calories our ancestors would have never survived

You're not one of those PALEO pushers, are u?!
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think she may have used weight watchers in the past or heard of it. On the new weight watchers program you can eat as many fruit & veggies as you'd like and they don't count towards your points. I've never used weight watchers new program but I have a few friends that do.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    you burn more calories chewing and digesting celary, spinach leaves, and lettuce then you do consuming them....

lolz
    no
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    you burn more calories chewing and digesting celary, spinach leaves, and lettuce then you do consuming them....

This isn't true. Sorry.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg
  • Burnsdill
    Burnsdill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA!
  • Burnsdill
    Burnsdill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know, right?!
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ill just put this here...

While this concept is popular in dieting guides, there is no scientific evidence that any of the foods claimed as negative calorie foods are such.[1][2] Foods that are claimed to be negative in calories are mostly low-calorie fruits and vegetables such as grapefruit, lemon, lime, apple, lettuce, celery, broccoli and cabbage.[3] Celery, a commonly cited negative calorie food, actually requires only about 10% of its food energy content to be digested (due to the thermic effect).[4]:88 Zero-calorie beverages, such as water, do take more than zero calories to process within the body, however they do not offer the dietary sustenance that other so-called negative calorie foods do in the form of fiber, carbohydrates, vitamins, etc. and as such, are not generally regarded as being negative calorie.[4]:84
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Ill just put this here...

While this concept is popular in dieting guides, there is no scientific evidence that any of the foods claimed as negative calorie foods are such.[1][2] Foods that are claimed to be negative in calories are mostly low-calorie fruits and vegetables such as grapefruit, lemon, lime, apple, lettuce, celery, broccoli and cabbage.[3] Celery, a commonly cited negative calorie food, actually requires only about 10% of its food energy content to be digested (due to the thermic effect).[4]:88 Zero-calorie beverages, such as water, do take more than zero calories to process within the body, however they do not offer the dietary sustenance that other so-called negative calorie foods do in the form of fiber, carbohydrates, vitamins, etc. and as such, are not generally regarded as being negative calorie.[4]:84

tl;dr version:

It only takes a percentage of the calories in food to digest it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    And this is why I have no faith in humanity.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time imagining the amount of fruit and vegetables you would need to eat to go over your goal. What else did you eat today? That's what made you go over.

THIS!!! :drinker:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out if this is a serious question...
  • 1Reacee
    Options
    I have a hard time figuring out the calories in fruits and veggies.
  • 1Reacee
    Options
    This may be off subject, but I am also having a hard time tracking exercise. I am not too familiar with the various types of exercise movements. I am only concerned with how long I do the exercise. For instance I may do 5 different types of movements in a 45 minute period. I am only concerned with the 45 minute duration, not what I did during. So how do I track "general exercise"?
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    There are some fruits and vegetables that are "negative calorie", meaning your body burns more calories than the actual food contains, like celery and blueberries for instance.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There are some fruits and vegetables that are "negative calorie", meaning your body burns more calories than the actual food contains, like celery and blueberries for instance.
    No.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    No.

'Tis true, although you'd have to eat a crap load of them.