I've noticed women who have high cal diets...how?

Options

Replies

• juvinurse
    juvinurse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have a go at this calculator for your TDEE and BMR. The idea is to eat above your BMR and below your TDEE
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Thank you for this link. I placed it in my favorites.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm losing on 2400 (that's inclusive of exercise, not net) I'm 5'8 and 151lbs.

I have a fairly active job, where I'm on my feet literally all day. That certainly helps, and burns more daily calories than say a desk job would. I also workout at the gym 4-5 times a week, lifting weights, approx 40-75 minutes each time. Compound exercises burn more than isolation exercises as they involve your whole body. Also, when you build up more muscle mass over time (which I've done) the amount of calories you burn at rest increases - this is one reason why men generally can eat more than women / have higher calorie burns at rest.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    By retaining my lean muscle mass.

I can eat like a horse, aren't even trying to actively lose right now and lost another 3 pounds or so.
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    1. They know what their actual TDEE is through experience or prediction formulas.
    2. They do some form of regular exercise such as cardio, strength-training, or both which raises TDEE.
    3. They understand there is a limit to how much fat mass that can be oxidized in one day thus choose a suitable deficit.
    4. They eat the maximum amount of calories for steady fat loss instead of eating the minimum.

Yep that's me too!! check out EM2WL on this site and read the info on their board.

I'm 5'5", 40 yrs old, 132 lbs and eat on average about 1800 cals per day. I don't kill myself at the gym either. I lift heavy 3 x per week, run 2-3 x per week either doing intervals or a longer run of 5-7 kms.

Edit to add: I had inadvertently been doing a 'reset' over the month of December and was averaging about 2100 cals per day. I only gained a lb and the last week have lost that plus an additional 2 lbs. I am thrilled to say that it really works! pack some patience and trust the process :):):)
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I love how EM2WL took over :)

But seriously... please use the calculators to work out your BMR & TDEE

I thought I was relatively sedentary... my TDEE is 2300 - 2600... no wonder I was destroying myself eating 1200 a day.

Now I eat at least 1800 and am happily losing weight and size!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Same as others.

I am 5'9", started at 220 lbs and currently 197. I work out 4-5 days a week for at least an hour because I love it.

BMR: 1450
    TDEE: 2297

I generally aim for 1800 per day but usually have at least one day a week over 2000. I have been consistently losing 1-2 lbs per week and feeling amazing. I feel sorry for people who feel like they can't eat pork belly and prime rib. Sometimes at the same time.

There are so many better ways to do this than to starve yourself.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, 40 years old and around 132 pounds. Through formulas and trial and error, I've found my TDEE is about 2300 calories when I'm exercising regularly (typically lifting 3x a week and running 2-3x a week). I'm not looking to lose any more, but if I were, I know that around 2000 is a good amount for me to lose about a half pound a week. At my size, I shouldn't aim to lose any more than that a week.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    1. They know what their actual TDEE is through experience or prediction formulas.
    2. They do some form of regular exercise such as cardio, strength-training, or both which raises TDEE.
    3. They understand there is a limit to how much fat mass that can be oxidized in one day thus choose a suitable deficit.
    4. They eat the maximum amount of calories for steady fat loss instead of eating the minimum.

Every bit of this.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I love how EM2WL took over :)

But seriously... please use the calculators to work out your BMR & TDEE

I thought I was relatively sedentary... my TDEE is 2300 - 2600... no wonder I was destroying myself eating 1200 a day.

Now I eat at least 1800 and am happily losing weight and size!

This is me too. I couldn't figure out at first why I lost weight faster than the 1 lb/week I had things set to on MFP until I really educated myself on TDEE. Mine is higher than the calculators say. I eat back exercise calories most of the time which means most days since July, I have eaten between 1600 and 2300 calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

BRUCE-LEE-APPROVES-GIF.gif
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

what is TDEE?
  • AnnabellKE
    AnnabellKE Posts: 26 Member
    Options

what is TDEE?

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr

Explains everything
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    eating the right foods, and exercising ALOT!! I eat up to 2000 a day sometimes, but I work out 6 days a week for 1 - 1.5 hours buring 400 - 600 a session. however my cals zigzag, up and down all the time from 1200 - 2000 a day , sometimes I eat more, sometimes I don't, I eat when I am hungry, the snacking is minimal now
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    MFP had me set at 1700 cals a day when I started. That was my 500 calorie a day deficit so I could drop a pound a week. If you start out at a high enough weight, the math works out that way. Now that I am close to my goal, I get 1200 a day.
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Really interesting thread. Lots of great info. I'm a big believer is actually eating & working out hard to lose weight versus straight calorie restricton. Bump.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2600. I'm 5'9", 160lbs and pretty active. I try to eat 2000-2300 about 80% of my TDEE.

ANYONE can lose weight if they eat 80% of their TDEE. You don't have to eat 1200 calories.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    My calories are high each day because I'm doing heavy lifting routines (no cardio). My metabolism has shot up a lot since I started seriously lifting in May. Even before I was trying to gain weight by lifting, I had to up my calories because I was starving all the time- but still losing weight.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

science.jpg
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    because calories in calories out is a crock. Quality calories and workouts are a whole nother story...
This discussion has been closed.