Husband not attracted to me...need support!

Options
Hello All!
I am new to this community and am LOVING all of the wonderful tools that are available here--including the wealth of support, encouragement and motivation from fellow members. I am 47 years old, have about 50 pounds to lose, although some might say I have 250 pounds to lose, if you include my spouse! We have been married for 16 years, have two beautiful daughters (ages 10 and 12), but my husband is in the middle of a mid-life crisis! He turns 52 this year and has lost weight, started working out incessantly and has told me he is not attracted to me because of my weight gain over the years. I put on weight, due to fertility struggles, two pregnancies and an auto-immune disease which requires me to eat gluten free (once I started going gf, I put on 25 pounds!). I am not on this journey to save my marriage. Rather, I am doing this for myself. However, while living with someone so toxic and negative, it would be nice to have some support from someone--even if it's strangers on a message board. I know I will lose the weight, and I know I will be one hot 48-year-old (birthday is in March).....what I don't know is how I'll feel about someone so shallow who was ready to kick me to the curb because of some extra pounds! Would love some friends for this journey!

Replies

• rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're not receiving the support you need at home. Feel free to add me.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I will add you as a friend...wow...you def. need to move on...idk how you can ever "get over" a comment like this...some men are true *kitten*...here's a hug (((NewJuliespen))) :flowerforyou:
  • DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi! I recently joined mfp this past week. I am looking to lose almost 70lbs. Feel free to add me as a friend. We can encourage each other along the way.

You can do this! Remember that you are strong and can accomplish any goals you have set for yourself.
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're not getting the support you need at home - and I hope you can find it here! Feel free to add me if you need another compadre :)
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I am sorry your husband is being really shallow. I guess maybe at least he is honest? I don't know. Do this for you and your health... and take time to work on yourself. I personally would not stay in a marriage where someone makes me feel awful about myself.
  • rxpolarbear
    Options
    Men...hopefully he has your health as his main concern...my husband says he would love me if I was 300 lbs which is almost negative motivation! But he does want to see me healthy. I'll be your friend!
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    I am new to this community and am LOVING all of the wonderful tools that are available here--including the wealth of support, encouragement and motivation from fellow members. I am 47 years old, have about 50 pounds to lose, although some might say I have 250 pounds to lose, if you include my spouse! We have been married for 16 years, have two beautiful daughters (ages 10 and 12), but my husband is in the middle of a mid-life crisis! He turns 52 this year and has lost weight, started working out incessantly and has told me he is not attracted to me because of my weight gain over the years. I put on weight, due to fertility struggles, two pregnancies and an auto-immune disease which requires me to eat gluten free (once I started going gf, I put on 25 pounds!). I am not on this journey to save my marriage. Rather, I am doing this for myself. However, while living with someone so toxic and negative, it would be nice to have some support from someone--even if it's strangers on a message board. I know I will lose the weight, and I know I will be one hot 48-year-old (birthday is in March).....what I don't know is how I'll feel about someone so shallow who was ready to kick me to the curb because of some extra pounds! Would love some friends for this journey!

I have been in your situation and have now been divorced for 5 years. It took me until this past August before I did anything about my weight. But when I did start. It was for ME. I would love to have you as a friend, I have been in your shoes. Good luck!
  • pumpkinoodle
    pumpkinoodle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    From looks of your beautiful headshot, you are already a hot 48-year-old! Beautiful smile, eyes and I love your skin tone! Welcome to MFP and you'll definitely get the support you need here. Stay strong for your girls :smile: They are watching you now more than ever to see how you handle negativity from someone you love. :flowerforyou: You can do this!
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    The way I'm reading this is that it came as a shock to you, that all of a sudden your weight is an issue to him. This seems unlikely, its more likely that its been bothering him a long time but he's been afraid to voice it. It probably was hard for him to be honest about how the attraction has faded. Unless, he is a complete jerk and delivered this in a cruel fashion, isnt it possible he's just telling you what his issues are ?
    And if he is now a fitness junkie, he might be ideal for you , as he will have knowledge you can apply, and be a workout partner to make working out more enjoyable.
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I really like that you are making your weight loss journey about YOU and not about HIM. I can be snarkey and if my hubby had said that to me when I was 70 lbs heavier I would have told him I'm not attracted to HIM at any weight. Life is too short to be ridiculed and humiliated by someone who is suppose to be your support system. Best wishes to you on your continued success and I'm thinking it's 250 lbs you need to get rid of, too.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't fully say that he's trying to hurt you, as much as men (no matter how long you have known them) can have sudden changes in how they feel about themselves just like we do. He may be feeling a lot of distaste for how he looked and might still be unhappy about how he looks now. He may be re-evaluating his choices and I hope that before he makes the biggest mistakes with you that he realizes what he could lose. A wonderful wife and mother to his children.

But that aside I am so glad that your doing this for yourself, there is no better motivation than to do this for you! You can do it!

And you will certainly make him eat his words :)
  • ellabelle0310
    ellabelle0310 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have about 70lbs I would like to lose, you are more than welcome to add me. Support is key when it comes to this, it's terrible that you are not getting it at home.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    ill be your friend, i feel you on the needing support, my husband also informed me before i lost some weight that I wasnt very attractive, he also drops hints at me now like I need to work on my butt or legs, yadda yadda, so feel free to add me. I am 25, have 3 somes 6, 4, and 3
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Men...

Yup, all of us are like this...............
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Do it for yourself...if he loses you...it will be HIS loss. A real man would love you no matter what!
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!

Have you talked to him about how hurtful he's being? Maybe you could seek marriage counseling?
  • Ruebia
    Ruebia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    wow....sounds like he needs a good swift kick in the backside....if he's trying to be motivating he's definitely going about it the wrong way....don't let his negativity bring you down...you're a beautiful woman and deserve to be treated much better than that....add me if you like and i'll be glad to help any way i can....
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am also so sorry you have to go through this. Weight gain is tough in its self and then to have someone side by side with you being negative about it......is even harder. Please add me as a friend as well. I love the encoragement and love to encorage. Please think about yourself and your kids, no need to think about someone who is negative. Good luck sista!
  • melissa6592
    melissa6592 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am so sorry about your troubles at home. I could not imagine hearing those things from someone who is supposed to love me. I am happy that it has not destroyed your strength to become who you want to be. Good luck on your travels and by continuing without your spouses support you are showing us all how strong we can be.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    move in with me! you need out of negative environments especially when losing weight! You can do it and he is going to be sorry he ever treated you poorly.