I realized something just now.

Options

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is in your head, too. Truthfully people naturally care more about themselves and how they are perceived than about another stranger. There are the bad apples out there of course but they amount to few in comparison to everyone else. I know when I'm out and about I could care less what anyone else is eating or doing.

^^^THIS you probably haven't even registered on their radar.
  • FeatherontheWind
    FeatherontheWind Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been on the thin side most of my life, but have steadily gained over the last few years. When I've been at the gym and see others larger than myself I think good for them, even when I was a tiny size 0/2. They are here taking the initiative to do something positive about their health. My next thought immediately goes to - how much time do I have left on this elliptical?...my foot is numb! Most people are kind and even more are so self absorbed in what they are doing that they don't even notice what is going on around them.

People who do think degrading thoughts aren't happy with some aspect of their lives, therefore, they break on others to make themselves feel superior. We shouldn't waste our precious energy worrying about them. They'll most likely never figure it out if they are that self centered...at least until they gain weight someday.

Don't think about them, just enjoy what you are doing and know that you are making your dream a reality with every step and every choice. Have a fabulous day! :flowerforyou:
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    Thanks to everyone telling me that it's all in my head. I need to work on being less insecure ^__^;
  • LoonyLovegood8
    Options
    I'm 109lbs I don't know if this is 'skinny' I don't feel skinny but I'm not overweight but whatever but if I see an overweight person in the gym I DO think "Good for you! Actually making a change!" Because some people just complain and carry on as they are. That's just me but I don't think people at my gym would think badly on anyone for trying, they're all lovely people :).
  • FeatherontheWind
    FeatherontheWind Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been on the thin side most of my life, but have steadily gained over the last few years. When I've been at the gym and see others larger than myself I think good for them, even when I was a tiny size 0/2. They are here taking the initiative to do something positive about their health. My next thought immediately goes to - how much time do I have left on this elliptical?...my foot is numb! Most people are kind and even more are so self absorbed in what they are doing that they don't even notice what is going on around them.

People who do think degrading thoughts aren't happy with some aspect of their lives, therefore, they break on others to make themselves feel superior. We shouldn't waste our precious energy worrying about them. They'll most likely never figure it out if they are that self centered...at least until they gain weight someday.

Don't think about them, just enjoy what you are doing and know that you are making your dream a reality with every step and every choice. Have a fabulous day! :flowerforyou:
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My personal happiness is not dependant on what other people think of me.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You can never really tell what someone is thinking.
    There was a majorly skinny lass in the pool (walking up and down, listening to her iPod in a waterproof sleeve) the other day and she kept staring as I would swim a lenth using a pull-buoy between my knees to stop from kicking as I rehabilitate my knee. She would also stare at me as I jogged on the spot in the water at each end, and then did a minute of wall-squat knee bends in the pool before the next length.

I ran into her in the changing room ... whereupon she started chatting to me about rehab methods... before long we were comparing other bits of pool rehab equipment that might be useful.

I am carrying a fair few pounds more than her, and I am building up my time in the pool, but starting out slowly as I am not the greatest swimmer - but my £70 per month gives me the right to train how I want, and feel a damn sight better than if I was lying on the couch watching the tellybox and wondering why I never put on any weight!

You getting out and doing stuff beats the person who sits at home whining about how they haven't got round to doing stuff... EVERY TIME!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm skinny. Always been pretty skinny. And I don't judge people. Least I try not to. Half of us have a problem with weight. So, how can you judge? I have my own things to be insecure about, and many times I am thinking you are looking at me with disdain.
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it can be from within.

I used to be in your shoes, feeling that way whenever I was around the fit, the thin, the athletic.

After losing the weight, I don't really think like that at all! If anything, I support the people that are trying to improve their lives. I'm mentally cheering them on because i'd be an annoying creep if I did it out loud, haha.

Just keep on doing what you've got to do to be where you want to be <3
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I only knew one "skinny" person who acted repulsed by fat people. She used to be obese. Consider that they might be reflecting on their own body issues.

And who cares what people think.

The world is full of idiots.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone telling me that it's all in my head. I need to work on being less insecure ^__^;

don't we all!

For many of us, that's the biggest reason we're here.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    who cares really what strangers or anyone else thinks of you , to be honest its taken me alot of years to think like this , but life really is too short , just do your thing and be happy.....
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I think this is all in your head because you have insecurities about yourself. When I go to the gym I could care less what a "fat" or "skinny" person as you call them is doing. I go there to focus on me. My advise is that you shouldn't care what others thing. Just do your thing.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I feel something similar whenever I go get fast food on my own for several people. Like they think I'm going to eat it all myself. I know they probably dont give me a second thought and could care less, but it's still there in my mind a little.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    What about the fat people thinking nasty things about the skinny people? Plenty of thin people on here have told stories about heavier people making snide remarks when they pass up a cookie. It goes both ways. At the end of the day, who cares what other people think, if they're thinking anything at all? Do what's best for you and move on.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Not that I am skinny by any means, but when I see a heavier person than me working out, I think to myself, "Well, if he/she can do this, then I have no excuses." More often than not, I am inspired by heavier folks doing the work I should be doing....and then I get busy!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is probably all in your head. How I like to think about the really skinny girls at the gym is the possibility that they started right where I am right now. And they are giving me a look because they went through what I am going through and are sympathizing with me rather than judging me.

Another thing that helps is when I look around the gym and notice someone the same size as me trying as hard as I am. I think to myself "They are doing so well! I hope I keep seeing them here." :D

The more nice thoughts you think about other people in the gym, the less you think about the possible "negatives" of some people. Remember, exercising releases endorphin's, endorphin's make you happy! Happy people don't think negative thoughts about other people, or murder their husbands. Legally Blond taught me that :D
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Unless they say it, you have no clue what they're thinking. The thing you just realized is that you are overly concerned with what other people think of you and you project your self-doubt onto others.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    LOL, unless you literally hear those words from someone, you are, in essence, judging them the exact same way you think they are judging you. "All skinny people" do not think bad things about fat people, just like "all fat people" are not sitting around eating twinkies all day.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't even think about what other people maybe saying about me because sometimes I can be my worse enemy with my own thoughts. I just have to keep in mind that EVERYONE have SOMETHING that SOMEONE can talk about. Who knows what kind of pressure they have put on themselves to think they are above everyone who isn't a size 2...hahahaha. Remember, just because they are thinner and working out, don't mean they are healthy. There are loadssssssssssss of skinny people out there who are not healthy and we are healthier then they are. Just keep getting stronger in all levels of your life and try not to think about what you think they are saying about it....because a lot of time, it's just our own self esteem coming out to greet us.