Nervous about going to the gym...

Options
12346»

Replies

• WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have never been in a gym, and I am 59!!!! All you see on TV are these babes and muscular guys going to the gyms with their big bags, and I always thought that these people actually don't need to go there.
    If they would have had gyms when I was young I think things would be different.
    You are young and you have every opportunity to make changes now. And if you have friends who go with you, you are just going to have fun.
    Go and enjoy!

it's never to late to start going! There is a guy at my gym who I am pretty sure is 100 years old, his face is sunken in, he weighs like 110lbs wet, is about 5'8", hes a bit hunched, his mouth kinda hangs open all the time, BUT he is there every single day. Every single day he works out, every single day he puts forth effort, and this guy totally inspires me every single day. I think about the days I try to reason blowing of the gym and being lazy for the day and then I think about this guy who by all means has paid his dues in life and I think, if this guy is doing it, there is no reason I shouldn't be
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have never been in a gym, and I am 59!!!! All you see on TV are these babes and muscular guys going to the gyms with their big bags, and I always thought that these people actually don't need to go there.
    If they would have had gyms when I was young I think things would be different.
    You are young and you have every opportunity to make changes now. And if you have friends who go with you, you are just going to have fun.
    Go and enjoy!

it's never to late to start going! There is a guy at my gym who I am pretty sure is 100 years old, his face is sunken in, he weighs like 110lbs wet, is about 5'8", hes a bit hunched, his mouth kinda hangs open all the time, BUT he is there every single day. Every single day he works out, every single day he puts forth effort, and this guy totally inspires me every single day. I think about the days I try to reason blowing of the gym and being lazy for the day and then I think about this guy who by all means has paid his dues in life and I think, if this guy is doing it, there is no reason I shouldn't be

How rude of you to think you are better than him! :laugh:
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've gone to the gym with friends who were so much smaller than me. And you know what, most of those times those girls could barely keep up with me! lol. There is always going to be someone who is smaller or stronger than you, but you know what you are probably smaller and stronger than someone else as well! So don't compare yourself to them, just compare yourself to well, you :) Take before pics, measurements, etc. and in a month, take some more (it takes time so don't get discouraged!).

Don't be nervous, this is about YOU getting to be the best YOU possible, and hanging out with your friends is a bonus :)
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was nervous before I went to the gym for the first time yesterday because I am quite petite with no muscle and I wanted to try out some of the weights. I figured people would be staring at me wondering what the heck I was trying to do, but it was fine. Though I was a little embarrassed when I was trying the assisted pull-up machine and kept having to change the weight when I couldn't do it. :)There were people of all ages there (13-75) and all sizes (super fit and muscular to overweight). Every one is there for the same reasons, so no one will judge you!
  • gt1040b
    Options
    wow, you have a ton of replies already, and so nice to see motivation from complete strangers... but just in case you want something that might actually calm your nerves other than thinking of all the online cheers, try this:

seek out some good information about the machines at the gym that you plan to use, and go in with a plan, start with a "i'm just trying it out to see what i like" approach, and write down which muscles feel like they really got a workout the next day. i trained for shotput when i was in high school, and i found that it was a learning experience just to see what machines really helped me and which ones didn't. and it took quite a few tries to find the right set-up (make sure the bench is adjusted correctly for my height, etc). these days the machines have about 10 times the exercise options from 20 years ago, so boost your confidence by knowing that you can show your work-out-mates what each one does!

go to the gym earlier than your group of friends to scout out the facility, the attendant should be happy to show you around, introduce you to staff members, and maybe even recommend some classes to sign up for or what the busy & not-so-busy times are. you'll feel more confident if you can think of it as familiar surroundings.
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    First, don't be nervous, Workout with your friends and after a few weeks you will know if going to the gym is for you! You may end up loving the social atmosphere/ or not, The available equipment alone you may love. Going to a gym is not for everyone! Just saying you should check it out first. And "taking people remarks and/or actions with a grain of salt", is not easy for everyone. But working out with weights IS FOR EVERYONE!!!

I personally do not want to pay a gym membership, or get the snyde remarks, or the fanny slaps(that I have gotten before). So I chose not to go to any gyms. I do work with weights a couple times/week. I even choreographed 2 different routines that follow the "Body Pump" or Body Sculpt" type of classes. I set those workouts to music, and get the same workout as if going to that type of weight class, at the gym.

So, take the time to decide if it is for you! and Good Luck"
    Certainly your fitness success does not rely on gym membership! Your fitness will be successul from your own efforts:smile:
  • nhughes1864
    nhughes1864 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I found this blog and if you read the post from Jan. 3rd 2013 (it is the 2nd one as I type this) it talks about A newbie's guide to the gym. It is written by a personal trainer and this is a quote "Whitney and I will help you navigate what to do, where to be and how to feel and trust us... NOBODY is looking at you! They are more concerned with how they look! (Unless you are walking on the treadmill backward or spontaneously fall off a piece of equipment - then maybe they would look at you!)"

P.S. They have some great recipes!

http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/