What triggered your journey?

Options
I have been down the weightloss trail so many times, I dug my heels in and decided enough was enough! Sick of not fitting into anything I really wanted to wear...resorting to cutting out the sizing labels in clothing...something had to give. What's changed for me?

It started with my 11 year old son finding an old box of photos stashed away in the chest. He was studying one very intently and when I asked him which one it was - he had a confused look on his face as he showed it to me. Great...the secret was finally out... I had to admit to him that the girl in the cute two piece bather was indeed me. He studied it again...looked at me and as I broke into a cold sweat fearing I'd need to somehow justify why I looked so different now, he smiled and said, "You're still beautiful Mum".

There and then I decided that I owed it to my sons to have me around for a long time, to be able to run with them, catch ball and hold my head high. My journey isn't leading me down the road of the "two-piece bather" again, rather, I'm aiming for a future where family photo memories don't involve my husband and sons with me holding the camera to avoid being seen! I'm standing up for myself and realised that I don't have any Willpower to speak of, however, I am working on the "Won't-Power" to say NO to negative thoughts and look forward to a healthier future.

OK - had to vent that and now I'm done! Good luck everyone out there - I'm on my way ;)

Replies

• Bon90
    Bon90 Posts: 8
    Options
    Stepping on the scales to see a number I have never seen on them before :(
  • jjroblin
    Options
    The thing that triggered my journey was looking in the mirror and hating what was looking back at me. That was back in December of 1999 and I succeeded in losing 120 pounds total and have kept it off all these years. The journey never ends though, it is always a battle but a battle worth fighting for everyday :)
  • HunterTrouble
    HunterTrouble Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    One of my high school students called me fat. And I cried like a baby after class. I had fooled myself for a long time that I wasn't overweight.

Plus, I weigh more than my boyfriend. I HATE that lol
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    On holiday 2012 and saw a great big fat git in the full length bathroom mirror as I got out of the shower
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Constant backache and painful knees, heavy breathing after walking the flight of stairs to my front door.

These were all niggles that pushed me towards getting a handle on my weight. What really kickstarted it was having severe depression and feeling everything was out of control, beyond my control. The only thing i could control was my eating and exercise.

Sadly one of the negative side effects of battling depression is i have loosened my grip on my (emotional) eating habits.
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Holiday picture on Facebook. I was next to my two very overweight sisters, and I didn't look much different!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    i'm just a small town girl...
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    i'm just a small town girl...
    I'm just a city boy.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    This picture....
    33323822_1748.jpg
    I looked like a rooting hog
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Seeing an old boyfriend after years.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I took the midnight train.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My old pair of "fat jeans" ripped when I tried to put them on this week. :embarassed:
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Feeling so badly about myself that I was not living. I decided I wanted to Live! Truly live. For the first time ever.

So here I am. 60lbs lost and about 150 or so to go.
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    oops
  • hannah_alfie
    Options
    I've always wanted to loose weight but what finally triggered me was a few things, I wanted to fit in a bikini for a holiday, a few boys made fun of my weight, I wanted to get a boyfriend, I was sick of the way I looked and my sister lost 2 stone so that triggered me too xx
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    This picture....
    33323822_1748.jpg
    I looked like a rooting hog

:sad: NO YOU DON'T :sad:

But I understand the sentiment.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Don't stop believin'....
  • jenihullett
    jenihullett Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I promised my Dad before he died that I would take care of myself. He didn't want me to inherit any of our family's obesity-related health problems down the road. Now I'm about 1/2 way through my journey. =)
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    well my journey always start by getting in the car or on a train or bus/ plane ..... oh and some times walking :laugh:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    1 more pair of pants I couldn't fit and went to FB and someone mentioned this site so I logged on.......