freshmenthesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    yea but how many people believe him?

Far too many unfortunately.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    "Green Coffee Diet By Oz"

Free Botte - 800mg. As Seen on Oz. #1 Pure Green Coffee Bean Extract.

SubmitPressRelease123.com/Coffee

^
    ^
    and this ad is running at the bottom of this page :laugh:
  • BrenWOW
    BrenWOW Posts: 95
    Options
    I have low thyroid, but just above the level to be prescribed hormones. I had some terrible symptoms for about a year- I saw on his show that L-Tyrosine taken 2x a day will keep your thyroid in check. Well, I started taking it as directed and my hair stopped falling out, the ear ringing stopped,the weight gain slowed, the fatigue stopped, and the depression, dry skin and hair , and puffy face went away. I don't care about what the other people said- if I hadn't been watching that show, I may not be feeling well today.My doctors wouldn't listen...
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    So here is the problem: He is a surgeon, not a scientist. He is promoting health and wellness ideas that are based, or should be at least, on Scientific studies. It isn't about conflicting opinions, it is about the total lack of peer reviewed scientific support. He might be a brilliant surgeon, but he is using his credibility in that area to push things that aren't supported by the science. This is the very definition of Quackery.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I like Dr. Oz. He is a respected cardiologists and is well respected in the health community. He is much smarter than half the people on this board. Sorry, but I can not believe the ignorance on this board.

Dr. Oz is Actually a good doctor

As a doctor, he is actually one of the most accomplished cardiothoracic surgeons of his generation.

he is a *kitten* who has sold his soul and is taking advantage of the weak

he is a disgrace to the medical community and to intelligent people

do some research and you will see that the medical community is ashamed of him
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If I needed some sort of cardiac surgery I would consider him. Anything else....NO!
  • BrenWOW
    BrenWOW Posts: 95
    Options
    I don't think he's a moron, just a sell out.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have low thyroid, but just above the level to be prescribed hormones. I had some terrible symptoms for about a year- I saw on his show that L-Tyrosine taken 2x a day will keep your thyroid in check. Well, I started taking it as directed and my hair stopped falling out, the ear ringing stopped,the weight gain slowed, the fatigue stopped, and the depression, dry skin and hair , and puffy face went away. I don't care about what the other people said- if I hadn't been watching that show, I may not be feeling well today.My doctors wouldn't listen...

So you didn't have hypothyroidism... what exactly were your levels? The symptoms you described ARE symptoms of depression (which you said you had) as well.

I'm hypersensitive to the, "I treated thyroid problems with such and such," because having HAD a long history of turbulent thyroid and adrenal issues, it's just not how it works... but boy, is "low thyroid" the thing people point to when they're depressed or having trouble losing weight. (Obviously, these are legitimate symptoms of hypothyroidism AND some cases of hyperthyroidism).

L-Tyrosine doesn't even remotely effect the thyroid, either... there's mixed science on if it actually benefits depleted cortisol, which also has symptoms you mentioned... but if Dr. Oz seriously said it helps thyroid, then you just gave us more evidence of his borderline malpractice.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't think he's a moron, just a sell out.

I don't think he's a moron because I think he knows exactly what he's doing, and he's getting stupidly rich off of it. However, I do think he's a disgusting excuse for a human being by using his credentials to hoodwink the gullible. He's also a shoddy scientist, as a previous poster mentioned.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I like Dr. Oz. He is a respected cardiologists and is well respected in the health community. He is much smarter than half the people on this board. Sorry, but I can not believe the ignorance on this board.

As a doctor, he is actually one of the most accomplished cardiothoracic surgeons of his generation.

I can't believe I have to stress this again, but being a respected heart surgeon does not make you an expert in other areas, including the popular topics of nutrition and weight loss.

Am I going to go to my psychiatrist about asthma? No.
    Am I going to go to a dermatologist about stomach pain? No.
    Am I going to go to a heart surgeon to ask about raspberry ketones and fad diets? No.

oh-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't diss the Doctors. The doctors always tell people that don't trust them when it comes to your own health and GO TO YOUR OWN DOCTOR!

I use to watch them when I was at the gym. Now their an hour eelier...With Katie in their spot.

Fact of the matter: I wouldn't be here losing weight if it wasn't for the Doctors.

Not sure about Dr. Oz. Given the fact I never saw his show. Though, the Doctors are awesome!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    "A pill could help us “burn fat without spending every waking moment exercising and dieting” and even combat “emotional eating.”
    My hero! I can't wait till he discovers the pill that does my work, mows the lawn, feeds the animals, and brings me a beer!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    He is much smarter than half the people on this board.
    Only half?
    ...but not smart enough to peddle his noxious potions.....right?
    And don't worry about your good Dr Oz.
    He's laughing all the way to the bank.
    :laugh:
    Dr Oz
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I can't stand him for multiple reasons. But these are my big ones.

1. I don't see the point in having people touch body parts to learn about them. You don't need to do it, especially people who are not in the medical profession.

2. He had a show called "The Surgery You Should Be Getting". Where he spent most of the show convincing people why they should get gastric bypass surgery. With a raise of the hands, he had convinced 8 people in his audience they should get the surgery. From what I could see on the TV, they were not that obese and could easily lose the weight with proper diet and exercise.
  • breelovesderby
    Options

he is a *kitten* who has sold his soul and is taking advantage of the weak

he is a disgrace to the medical community and to intelligent people

do some research and you will see that the medical community is ashamed of him

Yes. :flowerforyou:
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

So you didn't have hypothyroidism... what exactly were your levels? The symptoms you described ARE symptoms of depression (which you said you had) as well.

I'm hypersensitive to the, "I treated thyroid problems with such and such," because having HAD a long history of turbulent thyroid and adrenal issues, it's just not how it works... but boy, is "low thyroid" the thing people point to when they're depressed or having trouble losing weight. (Obviously, these are legitimate symptoms of hypothyroidism AND some cases of hyperthyroidism).

L-Tyrosine doesn't even remotely effect the thyroid, either... there's mixed science on if it actually benefits depleted cortisol, which also has symptoms you mentioned... but if Dr. Oz seriously said it helps thyroid, then you just gave us more evidence of his borderline malpractice.

This is only funny because without Tyrosine, the thyroid fails to function properly.

That is all...
  • LeisureRunner
    Options

I like him too. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one! LOL It's entertainment for me. If you do your own research you can weed out what's true or false. He has a lot of good info on his show about heart attack symptoms, cancer, etc.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    The biggest loser trainers were on the other day....:sad:

I've lost all hope.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above... Dr Oz (though his "fat burning" stuff is mostly nonsensical) for the most part promotes naturopathic remedies... which many view as hoopla. Personally, it's my preference. If I can fix it with vitamins/minerals/herbal supplements... why bother with a prescription for something that's manufactured in a lab by companies making billions, paying kickbacks to doctors to prescribe it in mass quantities, and doing incomplete research to boot?

(my daughter was born with a heart defect due to a medication deemed perfectly AOK for pregnancy even though they did NOT A SINGLE FLIPPING STUDY on it before deeming is safe. Those idiotic f*cktards had a hand in making my daughter get open heart surgeries for the rest of her life.... and I wish our cardiologists were as naturopathic minded, to be honest).
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've never cared for a doctor that pushes weight loss products and gimmicks. People fall for anything these days! Not all that glitters is gold.