Did Jillian Michaels Go Too Far on BL?

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I watched an entire episode last night and was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Sure, its a reality TV show and its edited to make it look the way the producers want it to look. Sure, its not an optimal plan the contestants are on and you worry about their being able to sustain their losses. Honestly, though Jillian freaked me out the most when talking to the kids. There she was sitting in the grass chatting without pushing them to do anything! Again, maybe that was just editing but the contrast was stark. I also found the tag line for Planet Fitness "The Judgment Free Zone" to be a amusingly at odds with Jillian's screaming.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think she def took it too far, it was annoying......

I just turned it off and moved on to something else
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I forgot it started last night so I didnt watch it. What channel is it on again?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I think they go too far all the time, including their training methods.

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

It's the only show I've seen where people get upset that they "only" lost 20lbs their first week. You'll see plenty of posters around here who expect the same results these people on tv are having.

Plus I don't think you really learn much about a healthy lifestyle if you're taken from your family, home, and job and given a personal trainer and pre-planned meals for a couple months. Losing weight on your own as a part of your regular life is really a better way to go.

And they always do terrible on the weeks they go home and feel terrible about eating out for 1 day, I like watching it to see just how unhealthy these people can be, I also get a little kick when I hear they gained it all back.

That's what you get for not educating yourself!

love watching them fail. i love when jillian goes to visit them after they've been on their own for a few weeks and judges the **** out of their lives.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

It's the only show I've seen where people get upset that they "only" lost 20lbs their first week. You'll see plenty of posters around here who expect the same results these people on tv are having.

Plus I don't think you really learn much about a healthy lifestyle if you're taken from your family, home, and job and given a personal trainer and pre-planned meals for a couple months. Losing weight on your own as a part of your regular life is really a better way to go.

You make such a great point. I was thinking about trying to find it online to watch (I've never watched it before but have heard many say how great it is - my sister actually interviewed for it once), but come to think about it, I'm going to refrain. Not that I think I'd end up setting unrealistic goals for myself by seeing their results, but at the same time, I can be very hard on myself. :)
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

gets off soapbox.

this 100%.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    The girl that walked off needs to deal with her mental issues first. Bulemia is no joke, and professional mental therapy will do her more good than any brutal workout.
  • loriejean61
    loriejean61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thought it was like a boot camp last night. Don't like watching them workout till the people are sick. Just turned the tv off and went to bed.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

Word.

Truth be told, if I believed weight loss could only happen if I was humiliated and yelled at, exercising until I puked, and couldn't eat pizza once in a while, I'd never have lost weight.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think Jillian goes too far - If I was on the Biggest Loser, I'd love her to train me; she's a b1tch, but she gets results! :laugh:
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

I agree!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I don't think she treated Nikki any different than she has any other contestant on any other season. TC and Nate got kicked out of the gym the first day, too, but they both came back with a vengeance. If you noticed right before Nikki left, she mentioned something about getting therapy once she gets back home. She clearly has other emotional issues and just wasn't ready for BL. Something like that is very stressful and isn't for everyone. I don't think JM went too far - I think the girl just wasn't cut out for BL.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hey, fitness fans! Just finished watching last night's Biggest Loser. I was a bit baffled by Jillian Michaels' treatment of the one girl, who she seemed to badger into leaving. These people are already broken -- does she need to break them down more? Can't the workout itself do that? I'm curious, what did you think? And will you be watching this season?:drinker:

I watched maybe 15mins of the first episode ever aired, it made me sick how they treated the contestants and I've never watched it again. AND I'll never buy any of Jillian Michael's products either.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have to say I was really disheartened by a man on the show .... who said he'd been waiting TWO YEARS to get on the show and lose weight.
    All I could think... is if he had found something like MFP and already implemented the changes in his life two years ago.... he wouldn't need the show.

Exactly
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    NO!!!! I love it!!
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think its more she was the overweight kid and she pushes the people harder because she cares and doesn't want them to be overweight. She just has a strong personality.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

Word.

Truth be told, if I believed weight loss could only happen if I was humiliated and yelled at, exercising until I puked, and couldn't eat pizza once in a while, I'd never have lost weight.

That.

PLUS
    they work them against Drs orders (and then edit it to make them look lazy and unmotivated), they order them to stop drinking water the night before their weigh in to squeeze out an extra couple pounds, some of their "weeks" are really 14 days.
    There isn't an ounce of reality in this reality show. OK, well, except for the part where fat people feel like crap for being fat, that's real.
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hey, fitness fans! Just finished watching last night's Biggest Loser. I was a bit baffled by Jillian Michaels' treatment of the one girl, who she seemed to badger into leaving. These people are already broken -- does she need to break them down more? Can't the workout itself do that? I'm curious, what did you think? And will you be watching this season?:drinker:

what makes you think they are broken? because they are on a reality show fitness competition? they're still looking for the easy way out, imo.

I have to agree with you there - a lot of them are banking on getting on the show in order to lose weight. That drives me nuts! If you want to lose weight just do it.

As for Jillian was she too hard on the girl - I don't think so. She's there to train them and get them to focus on what matters. I agree with an above poster they need to screen better.
  • rsexton05
    rsexton05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think Jillian is doing what Jillian does best. That is the type of trainer she is and she takes it seriously. I think maybe she is sometimes too tough on people, however if your going to be on biggest loser you better come prepared.
  • lmbs1966
    lmbs1966 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think Jillian went too far last night, No compassion, Bad *kitten* attitude and then, she goes out and has an O so sweet talk with the kids about how she was bullied in school. Jillian, you just got done bullying three of the people on your own team! NO need of it, she wasn't that bad in the previous seasons. I hope BoB doesn't do that, and I did not see Dolvett do that and their teams lost more weight. Being Mean and degrading doesn't motivate, and as for Nikki being ready or not, how do we know if Jillian didn't show her a little more compassion, if her attitude might have changed. And, if these trainers are so good, why aren't they teaching what we have all heard, that slow and steady wins the race. Just my opinion.