Did Jillian Michaels Go Too Far on BL?

Options

Replies

• mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The entire enterprise is just an over-sensationalized production. Severely unhealthy approach to weight loss and horrible advice, and no, none of them care what the contestants think or feel. Crap like this will continue to be on the television as long as people will sit down and waste their time watching it.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I think they go too far all the time, including their training methods.

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

THIS! I won't watch it. They use unethical tactics and instead of being motivating, it shows results that are unattainable for most people. Come on... 20+ pounds a week? How is that healthy? And who in the "real world" can be at the gym 8 hours a day?Check out Kai Hibbard of The Biggest Loser Season 3 for what really goes on at the ranch...
  • fchadly
    Options
    I agree with you 100% :-)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    It is a TV show... full of lies and half truths.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I don't think that she was too tough. She is tough on everyone, because that is her style of training. I had a trainer like her once. The woman was a beast. I had her in my phone as "satan". But, she pushed me. She made me fight. She made me realize what I actually was capable of. She made me realize that I was WORTH fighting for. If I could afford to use her now, I would. The people signing up know that is a possibility. That being said, I really cant watch the show. It upsets me to watch a show that makes it look like in 3 months you can lose 140 lbs. It sets a lot of people up for failure who watch it, it doesn't promote the new knowledge of living real life and being fit. Sure, you throw me in a house where all I do is workout and plan meals and compete, I am gonna lose weight. Put me back in my house, taking care of a kid, going to school full time and working, I am not gonna know what the hell to do. But, a show that accurately portrayed it would not get the ratings and sell the products.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I think we've all forgotten what a hard *kitten* Jillian can be. I agree with a previous poster about how whiny the last two seasons have been. Had Jillian been there we would not have had to listen to Conda for 14 LONG weeks. I'm glad she's back and weed out the those who don't have what it takes. As for the girl who went home...I would love to be given the opportunity to go to the Biggest Loser ranch and have a personal trainer and all my meals planned out for me. Not only did she wasted EVERYONE'S time but she also wasted a spot that someone more appreciative would've love to have.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i'm not a huge fan of hers, just because she grates on me. so i was less likely to watch last night because they were touting her return. without watching, it wouldn't surprise me if she went too far. but i have nothing substantive to add... so sorry if you wasted time reading this.

plus, the godaddy.com bowl was on with Kent State and Arkansas State. and i am a sports addict. so that's what i watched.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Just watched it for the first time last night. The way I see it A TON of people really wanted to be on that show and have the chance to do what somebody just didn't have it in her to do.

And they need to screen better so people who would be willing to do the work would be on the show and have the opportunity instead.

All that said, I don't think she goes too far.

Ditto :) these people have watched the show- they know what to expect- theyre going to get their butt kicked hard to get through the walls they have all built up so they can start over and find their own strength....everyone should do a real hard look at themselves and where they are at to make sure they are ready before they put their name in so that those that REALLY want it can get there and make magic happen! :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Hey, fitness fans! Just finished watching last night's Biggest Loser. I was a bit baffled by Jillian Michaels' treatment of the one girl, who she seemed to badger into leaving. These people are already broken -- does she need to break them down more? Can't the workout itself do that? I'm curious, what did you think? And will you be watching this season?:drinker:

This has always been Jillian's method, she breaks them down until they're raw so that they can really search for the source of their issues. Jillian has always been really strong on working on the psychological issues that people have and the root of their dependence on their unhealthy lifestyle. At first I thought that maybe she was being a bit harsh, but then I realized that she was being Jillian. There's always people vomiting and falling off the treadmills the first week. Every time we walk into the gym, make a meal, chose something off of a menu, or just sit on the couch we are making that decision. Jillian gave that woman choices and free will, in the interview she said that she didn't want to be tied down to a schedule and told when to do what, what to eat, blah, blah, blah . . . did she think it was going to be a vacation with drink with little umbrellas? I thought the smartest thing she said was during the exit interview when she said she was going home and getting therapy because she obviously wasn't ready to work on what really needed to be worked on (getting at the root of her issues and dependencies). I just always hate when people leave mid week, you're coming into an elimination, you know you're coming into an elimination. If you're going to screw your teammates you might as well go half assed in the gym and eat all the junk in the kitchen for the week to ensure you are the one going home. I understand that someone has to go home, but her willing departure made it that much more difficult to see TC fall below the red line.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that Jillian's harsh methods shocked me a bit when I turned it on but I think it's just because she's been absent from the show for a few years so I'm not used to it. I love JM and her tough love methods!

That had to be tough for Nikki but it was obviously what she needed... Can you imagine having gotten that far and then just bailing? It's one thing to do it on your own but on a TV show and to Jillian's face? There is no way...I would've been shamed to stay and work my butt off to prove I should be there and prove that I really wanted it and I deserved to have been picked instead of the hundreds of others on the waiting list. To me, her bailing proves that JM saw something in her and didn't want to waste her time.

I'm the kind of person who tries to help people and it sucks when you can't help someone because they're not willing to put a little effort in. But at a certain point you just have to learn to judge the difference and I'm sure that's what JM was doing. She's willing to put her heart and soul into helping you but not if you're going to give it back by putting in 100% effort.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I hate those Weight Loss shows. Anyone read the interview with Kai Hibbard? That's when I stopped watching when the truth about BL got out there.

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

The interview is written in 3 parts.

But I'm not inspired by anyone who is eating 1000 calories a day, working out for 3 hours in massive layers to sweat, dehydrate themselves to get a good number at weigh in, and a TV show that makes us believe it happens in a "week"

My mom had it on last night and I was pissed that one of the guys was upset about only losing like 22 pounds that week. The only person I cheered for was Alex because it seemed like in reality TV world, she produced a realistic number (even though she felt bad about 9 pounds)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

I think the show, while entertaining and motivating, also does a massive disservice to dieters by giving them a horrible idea of what is acceptable and what isn't.

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

It's the only show I've seen where people get upset that they "only" lost 20lbs their first week. You'll see plenty of posters around here who expect the same results these people on tv are having.

Plus I don't think you really learn much about a healthy lifestyle if you're taken from your family, home, and job and given a personal trainer and pre-planned meals for a couple months. Losing weight on your own as a part of your regular life is really a better way to go.
    I think it's MUCH better way to go about it, on your own. It's easier and healthier I'm sure.
    I have to say I was really disheartened by a man on the show .... who said he'd been waiting TWO YEARS to get on the show and lose weight.
    All I could think... is if he had found something like MFP and already implemented the changes in his life two years ago.... he wouldn't need the show.

Gonzo was thinking EXACTLY what I was thinking. In the 2 1/2 years he's been WAITING to get on the show he could've lost AT LEAST 60lbs and learned how to do it on his own at home. And used that intel to keep the family from ever having weight issues of their own. The guy supposedly promised his kid he'd lose the weight. WTF were you waiting for?

This. My wife and I were cussing at him quite a bit when we hear how long he's been waiting. Lazy anyone?

My thoughts exactly! I kept thinking what is this guy waiting for? Why didn't he at least TRY before getting on the show? He wasn't serious about wanting to lose weight he wanted to be on the show and used that as an excuse not to start on his own.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Not watching I am no Jillian fan and if they are having the kids on there all the swearing is totally uncalled for as far as I am concerned. Done with the show.

The children did their program in a completely different area from the gym, away from the swearing, etc. Each trainer took turns working with the children. And the children were sent home after the first week with a plan and free gym membership to work at home.

I actually applied to be on the show this season and got an invite to come audition. By this time, I had already started MFP and lost so much weight, I no longer qualified to be on the show. You have to be a minimum of 80 pounds overweight.

As far as Jillian goes, she would be the trainer I would have wanted. I think Nikki should have stayed at least thru the week whether she gave it her all or not and be the one that was kicked off the first week, which would have allowed TC to remain on the show for at least another week.

I have watched this program since it first started. The real truth begins when they return home and have to try to work their jobs, family, chores, etc back into their day and still manage the time to exercise and eat healthy like the rest of us.

I would be interested in knowing where all the previous contestants stand today, did they continue to lose weight and maintain it or did they revert back to old habits and regain some of the weight or even more than when they started. We see the success stories but seldom see the failures.

I'll continue to watch because I enjoy seeing the contestants during their transformations.
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

Troof.

It's the only show I've seen where people get upset that they "only" lost 20lbs their first week. You'll see plenty of posters around here who expect the same results these people on tv are having.

Plus I don't think you really learn much about a healthy lifestyle if you're taken from your family, home, and job and given a personal trainer and pre-planned meals for a couple months. Losing weight on your own as a part of your regular life is really a better way to go.
    I think it's MUCH better way to go about it, on your own. It's easier and healthier I'm sure.
    I have to say I was really disheartened by a man on the show .... who said he'd been waiting TWO YEARS to get on the show and lose weight.
    All I could think... is if he had found something like MFP and already implemented the changes in his life two years ago.... he wouldn't need the show.

^^^My thoughts exactly
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hell no, I love Jillian, she is one hot babe...

Who cares about the contestants really.... I mean it is a reality show they get paid money to do it for...

If they WANT to change, good for them, but going onto a TV show isn't going to change them overnight lol....

Personally I love seeing the idiots fail... no motivation or will power... and Jillian with her sexy *kitten* body.... perfect combo IMO...

:laugh:

Great comment. Too many people forget that it's a TV SHOW! These people knew what they were getting themselves into. Seriously.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Not watching I am no Jillian fan and if they are having the kids on there all the swearing is totally uncalled for as far as I am concerned. Done with the show.

The children did their program in a completely different area from the gym, away from the swearing, etc. Each trainer took turns working with the children. And the children were sent home after the first week with a plan and free gym membership to work at home.

I actually applied to be on the show this season and got an invite to come audition. By this time, I had already started MFP and lost so much weight, I no longer qualified to be on the show. You have to be a minimum of 80 pounds overweight.

As far as Jillian goes, she would be the trainer I would have wanted. I think Nikki should have stayed at least thru the week whether she gave it her all or not and be the one that was kicked off the first week, which would have allowed TC to remain on the show for at least another week.

I have watched this program since it first started. The real truth begins when they return home and have to try to work their jobs, family, chores, etc back into their day and still manage the time to exercise and eat healthy like the rest of us.

I would be interested in knowing where all the previous contestants stand today, did they continue to lose weight and maintain it or did they revert back to old habits and regain some of the weight or even more than when they started. We see the success stories but seldom see the failures.

I'll continue to watch because I enjoy seeing the contestants during their transformations.

My understanding is that becuase of situations like Kia, they changed the support system as the years went on. I don't know about the dehydration issues, but the later seasons have a higher long term success rate for those who made it further into the season as they incorporated relationships with gyms (like the one they now have with PF and before 24Hr Fitness), the chefs to help teach a couple of cooking tips. The season that they had 2 options, one group in the house preparing their own meals and one at the spa or whatever with meals prepared, my understanding is the ones who learned how to prepare their own meals saw greater success. Granted there's still a statistical rate of failure, as with any weight loss population, but I think that they've done a pretty good job of trying to address some of the issues that were apparent and reported during the early seasons.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that becuase of situations like Kia, they changed the support system as the years went on. I don't know about the dehydration issues, but the later seasons have a success rate for those who made it further into the season as they incorporated relationships with gyms (like the one they now have with PF and before 24Hr Fitness), the chefs to help teach a couple of cooking tips. The season that they had 2 options, one group in the house preparing their own meals and one at the spa or whatever with meals prepared, my understanding is the ones who learned how to prepare their own meals saw greater success. Granted there's still a statistical rate of failure, as with any weight loss population, but I think that they've done a pretty good job of trying to address some of the issues that were apparent and reported during the early seasons.

I follow Tara Costa on Facebook and she's still doing amazing.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

/gets off soapbox.

Word.

Truth be told, if I believed weight loss could only happen if I was humiliated and yelled at, exercising until I puked, and couldn't eat pizza once in a while, I'd never have lost weight.

it is a short term team contest...they are trying to win, while they are trying to lose weight and change their life, the number one thing is it is a short term contest and teams always do things that wouldnt be considered during the off season (like skipping pizza)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Meh.

I don't watch to find out who wins or anything like that.

I watch because seeing people who are my size, or bigger, and working out like that gives me inspiration. I know that it's not all real, or realistic. But it does make me want to go out and work harder after work tonight...

As for Jillian being too tough? Not at all.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I hate those Weight Loss shows. Anyone read the interview with Kai Hibbard? That's when I stopped watching when the truth about BL got out there.

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

The interview is written in 3 parts.

But I'm not inspired by anyone who is eating 1000 calories a day, working out for 3 hours in massive layers to sweat, dehydrate themselves to get a good number at weigh in, and a TV show that makes us believe it happens in a "week"

My mom had it on last night and I was pissed that one of the guys was upset about only losing like 22 pounds that week. The only person I cheered for was Alex because it seemed like in reality TV world, she produced a realistic number (even though she felt bad about 9 pounds)

I just read all 3 parts of that interview. I figured they manipulated what we see and what really happens but to not allow the contestants to follow doctors orders and to tell them not to listen to the nutritionist is just wrong. So much more is wrong about all of this. I agree with you about Alex. She is the only one who lost a realistic amount of weight. I say realistic because from what I read of that interview it was probably a 2 week time period and not one as they said on the show. I felt bad for the young guy who vomited so much but kept going. He looks like our oldest son in the face/hair glasses. I just kept thinking to myself who does that to a person? Pushing them to that point? yes its a reality show and its all about ratings but there has to be a limit.