Please stop this insanity.

Options

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i dont mind the spelling mistakes, you get used to them

what i don't get is why people say "could care less". if you could care less, then there is less you could care. the term is "couldn't care less" that way there is no less you could care.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    For our American friends, if you wish to adopt 'whinging' into your vocabulary, then the correct pronounciation is..

win-jing... (not win-ging)

I love little linguistic differences like this. The first time I heard someone call bangs a "fringe" I was very confused. And we won't even go into the issue of "fanny." :laugh:

Also, death to all who use "to" when it should be "too." I bite my thumb at you.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    add an 'o' to be a looser...have more room to wiggle around ie: "this sweater is too loose on me now that I lost weight."

drop and 'o' to be a loser...ie: "I need to lose weight so that my sweaters will be more loose on me."

That's how I remember how to spell it lol.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the laff. Oh wait, is that laugh? ;-)
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Oh, and how about the use of "to" & "too". EVERY time someone wants to say there is "TOO much butter" and instead puts "TO much butter", my brain reads it as it's supposed to be and I have to do a double take to understand what the writer actually meant. :-P
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    the fact that so much intellect is wasted on this type of thing makes me laugh.
  • aknoelle
    Options
    The problem with what people often brand "spelling mistakes" is that they aren't actually misspells. People actually don't know the right word, and easily make the mistake.

It's important that someone issues little reminders periodically so people actually know what's right, because "lose" and "loose" are different words with different meanings.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The problem with what people often brand "spelling mistakes" is that they aren't actually misspells. People actually don't know the right word, and easily make the mistake.

It's important that someone issues little reminders periodically so people actually know what's right, because "lose" and "loose" are different words with different meanings.

Bingo.
  • 50sBeachWalking
    50sBeachWalking Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What was the original question or statement? Hey, but who's whinging anyways.
  • BaneOfMFPsExistence
    Options
    For our American friends, if you wish to adopt 'whinging' into your vocabulary, then the correct pronounciation is..

So... Everybody Win-Jing... tonight? (Oh yes... I did)
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    i-4368687949be06e2f0afe40682f3ec3f-song-chart-memes-misspelling-internet1.jpg
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    We use whinging and whining in Australia. We are an easy going bunch.

LOL <3 this!!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options

That was going to be my question. I totally want to start using 'whinging'. It's amazing!
  • jgandy13
    Options
    No, this is an IQ thing.

HAHAHAHAH! I like this guy. :)
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    reading this thread is making me insane.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I need a grammar thread ticker instead of a weight loss ticker as a sig!

JM
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ah, a language barrier.
    "To whinge" is the English (British) equivalent of the English (American) "to whine."

Semicolon is one word. Yes, looks like it was used incorrectly unless there are British punctuation rules I don't know.

We use both terms, here in New Zealand! =)

so do we in the UK :)
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    No, this is an IQ thing.

:flowerforyou:
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of spelling it wrong often...
    and I DON'T CARE!

Why are people so insane as to get upset by spelling mistakes?!

Maybe I should add a disclaimer to my profile, "dyslexic do not friend me if you get upset by spelling mistakes"
    *rolls eyes*
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No, this is an IQ thing.
    Class!
    BTW that's an English slang way of saying "great" in case anyone was wondering!