Anyone here over 50?

Options

Replies

• alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm 59 and was wondering too if there was anyone over 50. I just started this on January 1. I want to lose 75 pounds by October.

Yep, just turned 50 in April. 75LB sounds aggressive, but doable. You can look at my food and exercise and make decisions. Good luck in your journey :)
  • lrayejordan
    lrayejordan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    YEP, over 50 yr old, in fact 51. LOL (female). So I am with you fighting age, hormones, injured knees....we have no choice but to fight it.
  • momof5ak
    Options
    Wow. I am encouraged just by reading all your posts. So glad I found you all! So excited to go on this journey together. I am a 52 year old widow with 3 kids at home. Live in Alaska and want to stay active in this beautiful state, not to mention healthy for the kiddos. I want to lose 40 lbs. Looking forward to meeting you.
  • onesherev
    onesherev Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Will turn 50 in 10 days and am going to lose this weights before I turn 51 (I', want to lose 68 lbs right now) Scared to death but had rather be scared into LIFE!
  • onesherev
    onesherev Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm about to turn 50. I'm diabetic and morbidly obese. My first goal is to lose 68 lbs. I'm starting with healthy eating and easing into exercise. I didn't gain it overnight so I know I won't lose it quickly but I want to see some progress on the scale or otherwise to keep me going.
  • suziejo50
    Options
    Hi
    I just joined MFP, my first full day was yesterday! I'm 53 and have found it hard to loose and then manage my weight...hormones (lack of), exercise (lack of) and will power (...you guessed it - lack of!) have all played their part. But I'm looking forward to getting into this, it seems like a great way to keep track of what I'm doing. I'm also new to message boards and fourms etc so I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing here!! (something else to do with being over 50?!!)
    :smile:
  • LuisEdwin
    Options
    Yes, I'm over 50 years and it's no easy to loss weight at this age: but you can. Since the last week of October I gained about 15 pound. I will try to loss about 30 pounds. First, I am going to eat oatmeal (you feel full) for lunch (sweet by Splenda) and for diner baked chicken with salad. Early in the morning I jog for 30 minutes. Try it and you will see the result in 2 or 3 day. Only for a start up.
  • drr13
    drr13 Posts: 5
    Options
    you are all very young, younger then my kids , I am 76 and still working at it- done this many times, find that it is more urgent at this age to keep weight off for health reasons
  • drr13
    drr13 Posts: 5
    Options
    glad to find some one older then me(76)- it must be working for you after 6 mod
  • mustangmonie
    mustangmonie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I thinks it is harder, way harder, but totally doable. I am 50 years old, soon to be 51. I am so tired of being overweight. I want to get to a healthy weight before I have any health issues. My thin girl clothes are lonely : ) I had a goal of 42lbs of weight to lose, I am down 3 so far. And I am enjoying the gym. Add me if you'd like to have a partner in crime!
  • Molly2sweet
    Options
    Hello.my name is Molly and 54 soon to be 55.Being post menopausal and newly diagnosed diabetic I have had to really turn things around.packed on the pounds and now having to loss over 150 pounds-I am not new to MFP .Having been here before and lose successfully -BUT as with any strict diet loss and regain double or triple.Hang in there everyone-
  • jodimiller1426
    Options
    I'm 66! And need to lose about 40 lbs according to the charts. I feel that would be too much for me at my age. Don't want to look like a prune.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Us old people ROCK! And yes, it is a lot harder to lose weight now. But with the kids gone, I've got time to exercise now. And I can keep a lot of the junk food out of the house, too.
  • MarJay12
    Options
    It is for sure slower coming off over 50!
  • supermoo2
    Options
    I'm 66! And need to lose about 40 lbs according to the charts. I feel that would be too much for me at my age. Don't want to look like a prune.
    If you make sure that you lose no more than 1lb per week, and do some exercise - walking is fine - then you won't look like a prune. Also, when you lose the weight, will you be wearing revealing clothes? If not, does it matter.

My stomach could do with some firming up (I don't look like a prune - and I did lose 1lb per week over one year) but I don't wear revealing clothes so no problem.
  • supermoo2
    Options
    Yes! I'm 59 and was wondering too if there was anyone over 50. I just started this on January 1. I want to lose 75 pounds by October.
    I was 52 when I started and lost the safe amount of 1lb per week. Max should be no more than 2lb per week, otherwise it is far too easy to put back on. If you are determined, you can do it.
  • Molly2sweet
    Options
    hello all~
    Any suggestions,remedies anyone has found to help in their weight loss? Toning or strengthening?
    My newest thing-a long time coming!-is reading labels.what a HUGE difference!!
    Hang in there! It can only get better.
  • inlovewu
    Options
    I just turned 50, never had a problem with my weight until recently (last couple of years). Must be the hormones??? I'm trying to get more active which is difficult with an office job but doable. Not sure how this diet thing works or if it will...just trying it and hoping for better habits..will see!
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    hello all~
    Any suggestions,remedies anyone has found to help in their weight loss? Toning or strengthening?
    My newest thing-a long time coming!-is reading labels.what a HUGE difference!!
    Hang in there! It can only get better.

Walking! Going to the gym toned me but walking is what gets the weight off of me.
  • Penny501
    Options
    Yup, over 60. Doing the 5 - 2 diet where I eat 1/4 of my normal cals (500 cals) 2 days a week and ordinary food the rest of the time. Is making me feel good and gently shifting the lbs - apparently makes the metabolism work better and it does seem to be making a difference. Dr Mosely trialled it on the BBC Horizon programme and now has a book out about it called the Fast Diet - says it's based on the latest research and brings a surprising lot of health benefits which was what persuaded me to try it. I find it easier to put in some effort twice a week and relax the rest of the time, although I do exercise at least 3x pw.