Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Also... we're very, very hungry.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    MFP - the hungriest forum on the Internet.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    LeBron-James-Smallest-Violin-Gif.gif
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    "I'm not mean, you're just a sissy" :tongue:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    It's going to be interesting to see how many newbies show up after reading Consumer Reports... And then how quickly they get butt hurt.
  • Angie1366
    Options
    Stop making me laugh!

AND STOP SHOUTING

Grrrrr!!!
    Hello new years resolvers of 2013.

You might notice that people here seem maybe mean sometimes, or snarky, or say things that make you sad.
    Before you decide that these people are trying to make you sad, please consider that they may be trying to help you:

"TRY HARDER" is more motivating than "take it easy"
    "YOU NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT" is more motivating than "you already look great"
    "STOP WHINING" is more more motivating than "there there, bubula, cry on my shoulder"
    "GET STARTED NOW" is more motivating than "spend a week coming up with a plan and see if you lose weight planning."

The journey of 1,000 miles starts with but a single step . . . in the right direction . . . and you'll get there faster if you run.

NAW THOSE KIND OF PEOPLE GET DELETED FROM MY FRIENDS LIST FOR BEING NEGATIVE. i
    'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO THNKS THAT WAY!! I DO A HELL OF ALOT BETTER WITHOUT NEGATIVITY
    [/quote

Stop Shouting - you are so MEAN!!!
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I learn a lot from the "mean" people. Often times mean is just a code word for blunt and to the point. That being said, some people do lack tact and understanding of what people are actually going through or are really saying.
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've only been here about a month and I have to say, I am a little leery of being honest with people (or making suggestions). I really don't know my "friends' at all here, and we try to encourage each other, but I don't feel I know them well enough to offer advice other than "Nice burn" or "Great effort". I know it seems lame, but that's pretty much the only kind of comments I see people giving/getting.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    glad i actually read the OP before just posting lol

I'd actually have to say that this forum is among the most respectful i've been on, other then teambeach body. of course, the computer programming forums are probably even more polite but thats kind of like apples and oragnes lol.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    If you aren't mean then you aren't as awesome as the people on my Fl.. just saying.
  • bhopejones
    Options
    youre-mean-go-away.jpg

^ this right here. SO CUTE. and totally what cats do..not that I would know... :P
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with the original poster and have to point out that I have noticed a certain mathematical correlation:

legitimate question/comment = legitimate(ish) response (unless someone is trolling or attempting to be funny)

Otherwise it seems to be on an axis, the more ridiculous or whiny the post, the more sarcastic and snarky ("mean") the responses.

graph_zpsec6c0c8c.jpg

I think if I get too many snarky responses to my post I need to re-evaluate where I fell on the y axis
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Although I have come across some posts that are deliberately cruel. No one really needs to be told "You are so stupid. Your thought process is F*ed up". In that case just offer advice instead of being a sh*thead.

But what if they ARE stupid?

Heh.

(JUST KIDDING, PEOPLE!!!!)
  • ajnlee25
    ajnlee25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been told on numerous occasions I have no heart. So I tend to be known for my meanness. With some people the meaner I am the more they keep coming back. Brutal honesty tends to be my motto. It's cliche, but if you want to buy a dress, and the one you think you like makes you look fat... do you really want me to tell you its gorgeous, or do you want me to help you find the one that drops 10 lbs off you instantly, and actually does make you look gorgeous? This is not mean.

If you make a mistake I'll call you out, but if you've been wronged I'll call them out. Nasty is not productive, and putting them on the defense will only hurt the issue. Cursing is unnecessary and name-calling is cruel. Telling someone they won't loose weight sitting on the couch eating junk food is true. Calling them fat & lazy is mean.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I give advice based on the road that I've taken.. stumbled down... and decided to keep following once I got my fat *kitten* up. Some people think it's mean, I don't. Coddling people and telling them that fads are good is going to do 0 good for the community. They don't have to like it or listen to it, but it won't keep me from saying it.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's true; there are a few meanies around here. I had an account from Sept to Nov but deleted it when somebody hurt my feelings (wah; boo-hoo). Then I started gaining weight and opened a n ew account. I feel rather foolish for letting one ill-chosen remark get me down. The poster may not have even meant it the way I took it.

My advice: take advantage of all the help and support you can get and let the rest evaporate. Chances are that the "mean" poster immediately forgot what he or she said, and you might as well do the same.
    Same thing happened to me. I deleted when I got attacked on here. I do find this place to be rather "immature" compared to other weight loss/body building/health sites I've participated in. I have asked questions and tried to help on here and I have been attacked or worse they say really "foolish and childish things" which make no sense, just to be "funny". I honestly think it is a younger crowd here. I am in my upper forties and probably need to find a group closer to my age. I know when I was in my twenties my body was so different and responded so differently to things than now. It's a whole new world now with my body and it's confusing and frustrating. Such as, you can eat and drink stuff in your twenties and still lose weight, look great, feel great, survive on little sleep, with no affects. And then one day all that crap gets to its maxed out level in your body and you're loaded with toxins and bloat and health issues and you can't do any of the stuff you did when you were younger. As much as the younger crowd wants to help, they can't TRULY "get it" bc they aren't there yet. Been there and done that. It's so frustrating to eat the healthiest you ever have in your life, get more sleep than you ever have in your life, workout better, more intense and with the best of the best more than you ever have in your life and not see results. And then there is trying to fix the junk you did to yourself when younger (bc you got away with it when younger). Not to mention your metabolism slows down, you are losing muscle. Still, I can deal with some of the, "tough love" comments but not the "stupid comments" which are hurtful and pointless. The other day I posted about something I thought was helpful and some guy told me to "go eat a donut". Really? Why?
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I'd rather hear "mean" truths that help me get where I'm going than "uplifting" lies that keep me from going anywhere.

550091_405255599542918_1826817549_n.jpg
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Only time I ever got called mean here was when a woman "pal" claimed to have lost 14 lbs in 5 days eating nothing but 300 calories a day of buscuits and tea. I told her (by a private message mind you, not in a public post) that she was either an anorexic in serious need of professional help or she was full of crap and what she was claiming was a game to get attention and was disrespectful to all the hard-working folks here who have real food and weight issues they are trying to overcome. She called me mean and unfriended me. If that was mean, so be it.
    Newbie advice: This is a life changing decision. Do it with all your heart and dedication and you'll get the respect and attention you want. If you whine and complain, expect to be called to task for it.

BTW: I'm accepting serious friends, new or not.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Only time I ever got called mean here was when a woman "pal" claimed to have lost 14 lbs in 5 days eating nothing but 300 calories a day of buscuits and tea. I told her (by a private message mind you, not in a public post) that she was either an anorexic in serious need of professional help or she was full of crap and what she was claiming was a game to get attention and was disrespectful to all the hard-working folks here who have real food and weight issues they are trying to overcome. She called me mean and unfriended me. If that was mean, so be it.
    Newbie advice: This is a life changing decision. Do it with all your heart and dedication and you'll get the respect and attention you want. If you whine and complain, expect to be called to task for it.

BTW: I'm accepting serious friends, new or not.
    I like your last comment, it's good advice. I lost 9 lbs in three days doing something radical like this. Had I gone another two days, I may have lost another 5 lbs. You really don't think it is possible?
  • Soulshaa
    Soulshaa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on each individual.
    I would never be mean & I hope I never post something that someone THINKS is mean.