My favorite spaghetti squash recipe! What's yours?

Options

Replies

• NeeNee5674
    Options
    Great thread with lots of wonderful variations to try now, thank you!
  • hibble
    hibble Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this, you make it sound really yummy.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    saving for later!
  • Thanks for the recipes! I just tried spaghetti squash for the first time as a substitute for actual spaghetti with tomato sauce a couple of weeks ago. Loved it! I'm going to try out some of these new recipes for some variety!
  • LngHrDntCr13
    LngHrDntCr13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    BUMP for yummy recepies!
  • lostinaseasong
    Options
    I love mine with Trader Joe's meatless meatballs and their pomodoro sauce. Or with Stanislaus' Trattoria Spaghetti Sauce alla Rustica. Or with one of the above sauces with baked Eggplant cutlets or diced eggplant.
  • Laffymom
    Options
    This may have been mentioned, I didn't read all the posts, but I have found the very best way to cook spaghetti squash is to halve it, scoop out the seeds (to cook later if you wish), and then bake it cut side UP after brushing the surface with a little olive oil, pepper, and as much garlic as you like ... I use tons, either pressed or thinly slivered.

Cooking it this way keeps it from getting mushy and really helps the strands to separate nicely.

I first tried this method after I completely exploded one in the microwave. Yes, I had pierced it repeatedly, but I guess it was juicy enough that as it steamed in the 'wave the little holes got blocked up and ::::KAPOW:::: What a mess!
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Spicy Spaghetti Squash

Servings – 6

Ingredients

* 1 small spaghetti squash, halved and seeded * 1 tablespoon olive oil * 1/2 cup minced onion * 3 cloves garlic, minced

* 2 green onions, minced

* 12 ounces ground white meat turkey

* 2 cups crushed tomatoes

* 2 tablespoons red wine

* 2 teaspoons capers

* 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano

* 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes

* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Place each squash half cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake uncovered for about 45 to 60 minutes or until a fork goes easily into the shell. Allow to cool and scoop out the strands of squash with a large spoon and set aside.

3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and scallions and saute for 2 minutes. Add the turkey and cook for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

4. Add the capers, oregano, red pepper flakes and parsley; simmer for 5 minutes. If the squash has cooled too much, reheat it in the microwave, covered for 2 to 3 minutes. Top the squash with the sauce and serve.

I have actually never used ground turkey for this recipe. I substitute shrimp instead and add it at step 4 so as to not overcook it. You could also substitute chicken breast or lean pork.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I love to roast my spaghetti squash (I use the same method as you) and then mix the flesh with a bit of salt, pepper, and butter. I top it with some homemade marinara and eat it like pasta.

spaghettisquash_sm.jpg

I also really like to mix it with salt, pepper, parmesan, and fresh herbs - just to eat on its own without any sauce. Yummm.
    gonna try this it looks good, i never cooked spaghetti squash before
  • been2boston
    been2boston Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I made a spaghetti squash a week ago and when I cut it open after oven baking, it was mushy. Did I over bake it ? It tasted ok, a little Blah. Did not look stringy. I did get another one while shopping yesterday, will try again. Hints would help.
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I made herbed spaghetti squash about a month ago and all but two portions I threw in my freezer. I'm currently thawing one if my containers out to go with a jar of marinara sauce I spyed in my fridge.
    Anyhow all it is is EVOO, basil, salt and pepper. Yummy!!
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    saving, thank-you
  • cvpasq
    cvpasq Posts: 2
    Options
    I am new to this site... these recipes sound amazing thanks for all the helpful tips.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump
  • steffers628
    Options
    bump :) love spaghetti squash
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I bought a large spaghetti squash this past Fall and it's begging me to cook it up :laugh: Thanks for all the recipe ideas! :smile:
  • amyfliesalot
    amyfliesalot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I impulse-bought some Dave's Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce at TJ Max that I ended up putting on my spaghetti squash. I broke up and cooked Italian flavored chicken sausage, onion, and mushrooms, then added it all to the sauce and heated it together for a while to merry the flavors soften the sausage a little more. OMG, it was SO good. Even my vegetable-hating friends loved it!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash.

Needed
    1 spaghetti squash
    2 bell peppers (your choice color - I use red and green)
    Minced garlic
    1 onion
    2 tomatoes
    Olives
    Crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 375
    Cut 1 spaghetti squash in half and clean
    Place cut side down on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and bake for 45 minutes (or until you can easily pierce the shell with a fork)

While the spaghetti squash is cooking, cut up 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 1/2 to 1 whole onion (your choice depending on love for onions), and heat up in a pan with minced garlic to taste. I usually use 2-3 tbs of garlic but then I really like garlic. Once the onion is a little soft, add diced tomatos and olives until they are heated.

When the spaghetti squash is done, take out of the oven and using a fork scrap the interior longways to form the "noodles" and put them in a large bowl. Toss with the veggies and then serve with crumbled feta cheese on top.

I basically used your recipe, however, modified it to the following ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash
    2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    Minced garlic ~ I use a fresh garlic clove that I chopped up
    1 onion
    1 tbsp Old Dutch Sweet & Sour Salad Dressing (optional)

Cook the spaghetti squash as above
    Cook the onion & garlic as above
    Add the Old Dutch & chicken to the onion & garlic

After the chicken is cooked and you've scooped the spaghetti squash in a bowl, I cut up the chicken into chunks, then put into squash. I also take the 'goodies' (onions & garlic) from the pan & put into the squash. Toss to combine then it's YUM YUM time!!!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    bump