Self defense for exercise and a life skill

Options
MizTerry
MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
I saw a post or two earlier today that have really bothered me. Two women had been victims of verbal abuse. I am a past victim of violence, so this is a personal issue for me. Not trying to be preachy, but domestic violence of women and men begins with verbal abuse. I read a stat a while back that said one in five households has CDV activity. Today, I see it's one in every four women. I personally do Taekwondo firstly for exercise, but as a life-skill as well. If you can't afford some form of self defense, contact your local recreation department or police department. I have also attached a quick video of some forms of self defense. Hopefully NO ONE on here needs this, but in the event someone does, here it is.

http://www.americanownews.com/story/20054242/amNOW

Be a weapon, not a victim. :glasses:

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i second this!

Women learning self defense is invaluable.

I trained in martial arts for years, during which time I didn't watch TV. At some point, I was somehwere watching TV and noticed all the scenes of women being attacked where there were so many ways the woman could defend herself but didn't. We are portrayed as helpless and I honestly think that we internalize that stuff. Training gave me a new way of thinking and being and I'll never be that girl I see on TV holding the wrists of a man who is strangling me, begging him to stop with what little breath I have left. I'll be gouging his eyeballs out of his face that is well within my reach :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree!! Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I also do Tae Kwon Do and in our class we do weapon work as well as self defence. I love martial arts because it helps me to feel strong both in mind and body.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    i second this!

Women learning self defense is invaluable.

I trained in martial arts for years, during which time I didn't watch TV. At some point, I was somehwere watching TV and noticed all the scenes of women being attacked where there were so many ways the woman could defend herself but didn't. We are portrayed as helpless and I honestly think that we internalize that stuff. Training gave me a new way of thinking and being and I'll never be that girl I see on TV holding the wrists of a man who is strangling me, begging him to stop with what little breath I have left. I'll be gouging his eyeballs out of his face that is well within my reach :)

I used to tell my girls if you can move a body part, use it. If there's something within grasp, use it.
  • plcowner
    plcowner Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Martial arts in general is great but when someone is caught in a nasty situation (abuse, mugging etc) I'd suggest Krav Maga.

KM is designed to prepare people for the most brutal and vicious confrontations. With its no-nonsense approach and straightforward practical moves, KM prepares people for the unexpected with techniques that can be utilized effectively under pressure.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    3 of my 4 children all do JuJitsu, The eldest is 2nd Dan, and the 2 others are Black belts, They originally started going because my eldest was being bullied at school. That soon stopped when they found out his skill.
    My 14 year old daughter (one of the 2 black belts) is often used as role model for the other girls starting there with the sensei there asking my daughter to throw the bigger and taller people - showing others size does not matter... and all 3 of them coach it. As well as it being a self-defence, its also a great confidence builder.
  • plcowner
    plcowner Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    @traceyjj
    That is most awesome. Self confidence is the most important "gift" that we can instill in our kids.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Me and my older two are in taekwondo. I have a friend that owns a BJJ studio that does free women's self defense classes two times a month.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I'm not meaning for this to be a dig on self defense or the numerous benefits of such training, but I wanted to present another side.

I was held captive, tortured and raped in my own home by a man I knew, trusted and loved. The vast majority of violence against women occurs in their own by people they know (I'll google up some stats if needed). Would self-defense have helped me? Highly doubtful. The man who assaulted me broke into my home, and had my arms restrained before I woke up. Even at that point, I was not in fear as I knew and trusted and loved this man and never dreamed of the harm he was capable of inflicting.

I did fight back when I knew things were going bad. I kicked and kneed him in the groin and bit his hand-and felt guilty inflicting pain on someone I loved and cared about. I don't know that I could have done more, even with my life in danger as it was very different (to me) than fighting off a stranger about who's well-being i don't care. My attempts to fight him off earned me a gash across my abdomen, several burns and a bite in my breast (that was just the beginning).

Anyway, I, like most assault victims, struggled for years and years with feeling responsible for the assault, and plagued myself with "if I'd only..." thoughts. The truth is that there isn't a thing I could have done. Implying that self-defense classes can absolutely prevent or save someone from attack gives victims yet another reason to blame themselves.

Could it help? Sure. Will it help? That really depends on a lot of things.

Again-not dissing self-defense training. Just putting out another side.
  • goofyblonde
    goofyblonde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion for any women who are interested in self-defense: Find somewhere that offers a RAD (Rape Agression Defense) course. It teaches women many different types of self-defense, not just in the case of Rape.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Just a suggestion for any women who are interested in self-defense: Find somewhere that offers a RAD (Rape Agression Defense) course. It teaches women many different types of self-defense, not just in the case of Rape.

I took this one also.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I'm not meaning for this to be a dig on self defense or the numerous benefits of such training, but I wanted to present another side.

I was held captive, tortured and raped in my own home by a man I knew, trusted and loved. The vast majority of violence against women occurs in their own by people they know (I'll google up some stats if needed). Would self-defense have helped me? Highly doubtful. The man who assaulted me broke into my home, and had my arms restrained before I woke up. Even at that point, I was not in fear as I knew and trusted and loved this man and never dreamed of the harm he was capable of inflicting.

I did fight back when I knew things were going bad. I kicked and kneed him in the groin and bit his hand-and felt guilty inflicting pain on someone I loved and cared about. I don't know that I could have done more, even with my life in danger as it was very different (to me) than fighting off a stranger about who's well-being i don't care. My attempts to fight him off earned me a gash across my abdomen, several burns and a bite in my breast (that was just the beginning).

Anyway, I, like most assault victims, struggled for years and years with feeling responsible for the assault, and plagued myself with "if I'd only..." thoughts. The truth is that there isn't a thing I could have done. Implying that self-defense classes can absolutely prevent or save someone from attack gives victims yet another reason to blame themselves.

Could it help? Sure. Will it help? That really depends on a lot of things.

Again-not dissing self-defense training. Just putting out another side.

I understand. I'm very sorry you went through this. I was abused sexually and violently by my step father as a young child. I was not able to defend myself. I tried and it just got worse. I blamed myself also.

But, when I was 9 I was sexually assaulted by another person. I fought back. I was not able to stop the assault, but did end up getting away.

When I was 15 I was jumped and pinned to the ground and was being sexually assaulted by a strange man. I fought back and he ended up eventually realizing it was not worth it because I would not stop moving my body, kicking, fighting and shouting.

Also self defense was very empowering and healing for me after surviving the assaults that I did through out my entire life, since I was a very young child. It's not about victim blaming. There are many benefits to self-defense. And no, it is not always possible and does not always work.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    @traceyjj
    That is most awesome. Self confidence is the most important "gift" that we can instill in our kids.

This is the best thing I have ever read here. Very very true

And vitaminddd--you are right, there are situations where self defense may not work, but self defense/martial arts have so many benefits, there's no reason really why NOT to do it. I am sorry you were in that situation but I am glad you are able to share because it could help others.
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    First and foremost, I am in total agreement that every woman should learn self defense.
    That being said, verbal abuse needs to be combated with self confidence and a high level of self esteem.
    Abusers start out by slowly chipping away at that confidence and self esteem. ("What, you can't take a joke???")
    If you are, or suspect someone is being verbally abused I would suggest getting out of the situation, developing a network of strong, supportive friends/family and counseling to learn to recognize the verbal abuse AND how to put a stop to it.
    Verbal abuse can escalate to physical abuse - but by this time the abused person is so worn down or conditioned to believe that they some how deserve this.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    1287725902.jpg
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    KRAV MAGA and Muay Thai baby!!!! I get the best of both worlds....:)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Martial arts in general is great but when someone is caught in a nasty situation (abuse, mugging etc) I'd suggest Krav Maga.

KM is designed to prepare people for the most brutal and vicious confrontations. With its no-nonsense approach and straightforward practical moves, KM prepares people for the unexpected with techniques that can be utilized effectively under pressure.

^^This!!!
  • ChrisR0se
    ChrisR0se Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    I love to hate this place.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    1287725902.jpg

Again... I want to say Marry me, but you posted a Sig so...Oh well. :P
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    1287725902.jpg

Nice gun! Can't post mine yet (SR9C) and still waiting on CCW but hubby's got his and except for work, we do everything else together.

Pistol packin Hot Mama!