Regular gym goers - what do you think of newbies?

Options

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I think classes are actually a great way for self-conscious n00bs to start! The regular gym goers will mostly ignore you, but classes have camaraderie.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    The only newbies that upset me are the ones who don't have gym etiquette, like leaving towels strewn on the floor, not wiping machinery down after using it and generally making a mess! I like having new people to chat to and as I am overweight I won't be judging anyone else any time soon!!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Am I over thinking this?

A million times yes. To hell with what strangers at the gym think of you.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I don't attend a gym, but it is to be assumed that they eventually become regular gym members.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The volume of newbies can be annoying, but that soon dies down.

With regards to overweight gym goers, I started out at my gym weighing in at 273 lbs, so hardly likely to turn to my nose up at any newbie making the change. I should imagine that there are lots of gym regulars who are now buff / fit etc, but haven't always been that way.

Don't be intimidated by what what you imagine other gym goers are thinking of you, most of them are just caught up in their own work outs.

Enjoy your new gym membership :flowerforyou:

This is soooo true. Well said!
  • Missasya88
    Options
    I think people shouldn't be so concerned with "Newbies" everyone is there to better themselves. Congrats on taking the first step.
  • Kasaya20
    Options
    I really have no time to pay attention to anyone else in the gym as I am busy trying to get my workout in. The only time I would look at someone funny is if they completely ignored basic gym etiquette or were being intentionally disruptive during my workout. You are paying for your gym membership so take advantage of it and don't care what anyone else thinks. If you have any questions please feel free to stop a trainer/instructor and ask them. If this is the first time you are taking spin try and make it to the class early so you can have the instructor help you out in setting up your bike and with each class go easy and at your own pace until you can comfortably keep up with the regulars. Good for you and don't quit, soon you will be giving newbies advice as well!!!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i understand gym anxiety. I just went on vacation and hit a new gym on new year's day! Everyone was very welcoming and kind. They seemed kinda bummed to find out I was just visiting and I was going to be headed home soon!

No worries! You'll find your groove!

p.S. it was some of the most fun i had on my vacation, the gym. I hope you develop that posi-gym attitude too!
  • jeason1976
    Options
    I'm so self absorbed when in the gym I don't pay attention: newbie or oldie. That's my two cents.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If they don't disturb me then I got no problem with them. If they ask me to show them how to do something or spot them, then im glad to help.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    The volume of newbies can be annoying, but that soon dies down.

With regards to overweight gym goers, I started out at my gym weighing in at 273 lbs, so hardly likely to turn to my nose up at any newbie making the change. I should imagine that there are lots of gym regulars who are now buff / fit etc, but haven't always been that way.

Don't be intimidated by what what you imagine other gym goers are thinking of you, most of them are just caught up in their own work outs.

Enjoy your new gym membership :flowerforyou:

This is soooo true. Well said!

I agree with this too. I think sometimes the folks who are looking at the overweight newbie are thinking to themselves "Oh man! I remember those days! My gains were awesome and the scale actually moved!!!" :)
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    I say, "Good for them". They're taking the step to better themselves, and that is awesome. Everyone was a "newbie" at some point. Whether it's the start of the New Year or the middle of summer. We all started from somewhere.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Newbies don't bother me typically! With classes they can. I have taken a spin class at my gym almost every Saturday for a year, and the thing I find most annoying, is when someone who has never taken the class comes in late, needs help setting up their bike because they have never been...and makes us start the class 15 minutes late with all their questions...it's cool if your new but show up early to get help!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't really think much of anything about anyone else in the gym. Mostly I'm there trying to get un-fat, and that's all I can think about.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    They won't, don't worry. Everyone had to start somewhere.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If I see someone new I hope they keep coming, I will even help them when asked. However, I do secretly place a bet on how long they will stay. I have seen to many new people come and go not to.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    All regulars were newbies at one point.

Most people LOVE seeing anyone that comes to a gym and works hard, no matter what the look like.

It is the ones that walk around in full hair and make up looking at the mirror ever 5 minutes like they are Paris Hilton that make me roll my eyes, but then again, what I think about someone else is really none of their concern, as what they think about me does not make a bit of difference in my life. Caring about what other people think did not get me sober or healthy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I judge people who go to the gym and work out for less than 20 minutes, fat or thin. I mean really, what's the point of making the trip?

Seriously? Do you know their story? Maybe they have a medical condition. Maybe they are that out of shape and are trying to build their endurance. And why would you judge? Are they hurting you or offending you? it is their money and their time...

1354129909569141.jpg
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I judge people who go to the gym and work out for less than 20 minutes, fat or thin. I mean really, what's the point of making the trip?

How many calories does that judging burn?
    TONS.

You guys didn't know this? If you are working out and judging someone at the same time you effectively burn calories at 0.237% over a period of 1 hour.

To calculate this you would take your BMR x Minutes of judging - self reflection reduction burn (-0.0178%) X current bodyweight = extra calories burned. You're welcome.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    30 or so more days and they will be gone.