Most embarrassing "fat" moment....

Options

Replies

• cweavertx
    Options
    After 22 years in the service and being relatively slim (never failed tape, but never passed weight...confusing I know but all military types out there understand the difference) I recently retired. I had accumulated 78 days of "final vacation days", along with "job hunting vacation days", which put me at 98 days of freedom. To add to that my final unit basically allowed me to just call in the last 60 days so I could start to "transition" to civilian life. Let me tell you it's kinda necessary after living more than half your life in the service (came in July of 90', for perspective).

Anywho, come late November after noticing all of my clothes were shrinking (how dare they?!? got to talk to the wife about her washing technique) I realized I was "extra fluffy" in the mid section. What brought this realization? When I was out of breath bending over my gut to tie my shoes.... I had ballooned up to 231 from a consistent 195-200. I was at the heaviest I had ever been. At that point I decided to get back to some of the core principles I had learned all my military life. Your mind and body are both weapons and tools. An effective weapon/tool is always kept ready and is always maintained through proficiency drills and preventive maintenance and servicing. If you fail to plan the maintenance and upkeep of your weapons/tools, you essential plan to fail.
  • wildiriss
    wildiriss Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I was on vacation with my mom in Florida at age ten, I was sitting and reading by the pool when this 4-year-old boy and his grandmother sat next to me and started playing. Naturally the boy started asking questions like little kids do, and I thought he was adorable so I was playing along. Then he asked his grandma "Is she a teenager?" and she said "She's a big girl." Then he paused and said "She's fat." and his grandma said again "She's a big girl," only this time the intonation was completely different. That was awful. I remember just pulling my knees into my chest and wanting to disappear.

Then once when I was in fourth grade, we were assigned seats in chorus, and the guy I had a huge crush on was next to me...I was SO EXCITED until I heard him say under his breath, "Great, I'm sitting next to the fattest girl in the grade..."

In 7th grade, I was on a field trip and sitting next to my beautiful, cool, thin, popular best friend Gia, and we were flirting with the cutest boy in class. We had a copy of Seventeen, and Gia said "Oh my god, Iris, this looks just like you!" and pointed to a picture, and then asked the boy what he thought. He said "Maybe if she did Jenny Craig."

Yuck.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I had several occasions where people thought I was pregnant. (I carry most of my weight in my tummy)
    The first time was my freshman year of high school, I went to Canada for a band trip and a man there asked when I was due.
    The second time was while standing at a bus stop in the summer. A lady stopped and asked if I wanted a ride because she felt bad for me, being pregnant and all..
    The third time was when an old grade school acquaintance who was the general manager at a place I was applying for saw me and thought I must be pregnant. She told me about this later on after we became friends.. embarrassing.
    When I was still about 170 pounds a coworker of mine (who is a fat a-- compared to me) told me I needed to lose weight in my stomach. The same lady later told me I was too skinny after I lost the weight.
    I have had clients ask if I was pregnant...
    Ugh the list goes on. My stomach is much, much, much smaller now, but I still carry extra weight there. Oh how I wish it would go to my rear, I have no a--. But at least I never am expected of being hugely preggo anymore. Ugh.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    Oooh I have a few of these stories! I'm gonna go through and read everyone's little by little, because it is sort of painful to hear all these experiences. But this is how we got here, right?

When I was at my biggest, I went on a college trip to England, and there was a night when we had to run to catch the last train back to London after a late play. I was wearing a long skirt with no pants or stockings underneath, so after about ten minutes of brisk walking and jogging my thighs had rubbed together completely raw, and I was in so much pain I could barely stand. While we waited for the train I had to pretend that my feet hurt and that's why I was almost in tears.

Not too bad compared to others, but I've still never told anyone about it.

I know how you feel!! When I was big I always got chafing anytime I wore shorts or skirts or even thinner pants. I would chafe to the point I would bleed...worst thing ever.
  • Emlou93
    Emlou93 Posts: 22
    Options
    When my mum told me I weighed more than her when she got married. I was 13. Jokes on her, I'm losing and she's just gained more.
  • Jory2pointOh
    Options
    When I was a teen, my mom would always bribe me with things such as a new wardrobe or a new bedside lamp, or things like that to lose weight. Of course I never did lose enough weight to get those things to her satisfaction.

Then almost 3 years ago I was interested in a man I had met through my work who told me that he could have sex with a fat chick but not take one out in public.

My kiddo is always worried she is fat or will become fat (I assume because of me). She is only 8. She will walk behind me and say my butt jiggles when I walk.

Even now, calling my mom so excited this morning about what weight I have lost and how this is working for me, she wasn't excited for me or enthused at all. That hurt too.

Oh and one last thing - not fitting comfortably in amusement park rides and restaurant booths is embarrassing for me. I hope to change that very soon.

I just realized that I really have no support system in my real life, except the posters on MFP who are losing weight and talking about their successes and what works for them.

It's these things that have made me start this journey.

Oh and I rarely allow photos...
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    A few years ago my ex and me had some of his cousins over for dinner and I had to sit on a wooden chair that I totally crushed. And I was only slightly overweight, 77kg at 1.73m.

My bf later told me that it was because I was eating too much and that I should take care of it. I was so emberassed for the next few days, and felt so bad and fat, I really got depressed :(

After I lost about 25lbs this same idiot was telling me I was getting to skinny, that he likes me chubby (wtf?). He then started cheating with a girl a lot bigger than me. After years they are still a couple and this new girl is HUGE! Her calves are like my legs. I'm glad I got rid of him or i would look like her...
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I guess ever since grade school where I met my close friends their nickname to me was "pig". It didn't hurt that much to me though nor was it really shoved to my face regarding my weight. It never was a problem to me but even now that I'm at 140-150 range they'd still call me that. lol
  • pswyd61
    pswyd61 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have a few... My dad used to puff out his cheeks and slowly throw out his arms like he was growing bigger whenever he thought I was eating too much, and I wasn't even that big when I was a teenager! Just 10 or 15 lbs. over normal.

A couple of years ago I took a singing class for the fun of it. At the end of the class we had a little recital. Each of us sang 2 songs, and I felt really good about my performance. I had invited my family, including my stepdad. Everyone was wonderful and complimentary and I was basking in the limelight. Then, my stepfather said, "You should have said, "The fat lady just sang! It's now over! hahaha." Totally ruined the evening for me!
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    When I went to China to visit the great wall, a female vendor yelled loudly to me that she had shirts for fat Americans and held up the biggest shirt I've ever seen in my life, it must've been at least a 6x and I wore a 1x, maybe 2x at the time.

Ahhh, I live in Beijing and this happens to me all the time although after the first few times of shock I realized it's just a China thing. I'm average sized (about a US 6-10) and I always get " I'll go get XXXL size for you" or " we have size for you but it cost more as it uses so much material" which is one of my favorites haha. I have a friend who is a size 2-4 and they say it to her as well admittedly with a few less XX's involved but it seems to be a Western=bigger mindset.

My worst was a girl in my grade 2 class asking when I was having the baby while reaching out to pat my stomach and when I replied and said I wasn't her response was to tell me I looked like I was growing a baby.
  • duckymoo
    Options
    I got picked on a lot at school because of weight/red hair/generally being a bit of a weird kid. I didn't really help myself sometimes. But I went from being chubby to being pretty overweight because I comfort ate. I'm definitely 'the fat one' in my family and from a young age my dad has always shamed me about it, in front of relatives and his friends especially. If we go out to eat, which we did a lot when i was younger (my parents split when I was young so we saw him every couple of weeks), he would always question what I had, and announce it loudly to the whole room. We went to the US once on holiday and went to this 'all you can eat' place, and he made fun of me the whole evening - I was so embarrassed I just wanted to go home.

Even when I was about 7 months pregnant, at his dad's funeral, he remarked how fat around the face I was getting. Sometimes he does the whole 'I'm just concerned about you' thing, but if he is then making me feel like I'm disgusting every time he sees me isn't helping.
  • photognurse
    photognurse Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have so many. And my weight fluctuates quite a bit. In the past year and a half I have put on about 20 lbs.

I have been with the same guy for 2 years. I used to feel good about myself as I was about 150 lbs. But have been gaining weight over the past year. In the past 6 months I would say I have gain at least 20 lbs due to my thyroid as well.

Both of his brothers, when mad, have called me a "fat a**" Of course, my boyfriend can't hear it because he's deaf.

For Christmas, one of their GF's got me a T-shirt that says "I will" by Under Armour. Confused I was like what does that mean, and she said "oh it's about running. I thought you were running now and working out".
    Ughh Mean the same chic at every holiday get together talks about how she can't eat certain things just to get a reaction out of the grandma and mother. She doesn't eat like that any other time.
    My bf and I did a little turkey trot and when his mother found out she said, "like that is going to help, you need to do it more than once."
    Grrrr....

Meanwhile, At my skinniest, at 145, my brother asked me if I wanted a sandwich and his wife said I looked sickly.
  • futureflaka
    futureflaka Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything anybody's ever said to me, or any experiences I've had or didn't have because of my size has ever upset me as much as things I think about myself when I am down on myself.

AGREED!
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've been asked if I'm pregnant or when is it due more times than I care to remember. One thing that always sticks in my head and haunts me a bit is when i was 13 out with friends shopping. I didnt really realise I was a lot bigger than my friends at the time and we were on a train with some drunk 40 something men who were learing over my friends and then this big fat one said to me 'Don't worry fatty, i'll *kitten* you' we were 13 years old for christ sake!!!...these men were old enough to be our Dad's and he said it loud enough for everyone to hear. It still makes my skin crawl both from the fact that we were children and also the shame of being called fatty in front of so many people.

OMFG. That is just disgusting. I'm sorry that happened to you.
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    - My friends car was dragging one time when I was sitting in the back. They pulled over and made me sit in the front passenger seat. Problem solved. Later that night her profile on AIM (this was a while back lol) said "Birthday lesson learned: never let fat people ride in the back of a pathfinder." grrrr

- My ex told me that the reason he was really sexually attracted to me is that he loved really, really fat girls.

- Being told by a customer while grocery shopping "I bet you're gonna go home and eat that whole cart."

- Getting kicked off of 2 roller coasters because I was too big to ride them and hearing people's remarks.

- Having to hold my seat belt in the back seat of my friend's mom's car because it wouldn't fit me

- Being severely embarrassed having to shop in the "large men's barn" for clothes because women's clothes just wouldn't fit me anymore....not even the largest size in the store :(

- Overhearing a guy tell a girl "If you ever get that big I'm dumping your *kitten*. That's nasty."

- Getting a lecture from 2 of my old bosses about personal hygiene and about how I needed to take better care of myself and find adaptive equipment to wash with :(( *very very horrifying*

- Was in the ICU for DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) this was the last straw before I started losing weight....overheard a nurse say to another nurse "I gotta take care of these fat *kitten* people who can't ****ing do anything for themselves."
  • beautsarah
    beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • khaleesinoodlebelly
    khaleesinoodlebelly Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Too many really. I think the ones that stuck around most in middle school there was this kid who told me seeing the backs of my knees made him feel sick. Also someone used one of those blow pin things and basically stabbed the back of my ankle with a pin. In front of a teacher no less.
    And there were the things I didnt understand when I got stretch marks my bff at the time had asked what they were and I had no freaking clue. I think the worst part is parents trying to bribe me to lose weight, I know they were trying to help, but if your kid wants to be in dance and you think they are too fat. Don't tell them only if they lose weight first. And then not give them the knowledge or know how to suceed. Plus, they will never think they are good enough. And really only makes you feel worse and eat more.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just want to HUG everyone on this post and tell you how wonderful and special you are. Even when things really suck, know you are loved. I have had tons of these mordifying fat moments, cruel comments and jokes at my expense that cut me like a knife - like many of your stories. But as an adult I know that no matter my size, I am loveable and beautiful. YOU are loveable and Beautiful! XOXO
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In college, right around what I suppose was 'prom time', two friends and I went to the mall to try on pretty, fancy dresses for fun. We went to two department stores (can't remember which one) and the largest size either of them carried was a 14-16. I was a solid 20 at the time. My average-sized friends asked me why I wasn't trying anything on, and I lightheartedly said nothing would fit me. They went back to the fun of getting dressed up, and decided I would be the 'zipper'. I felt so terribly out of place, waiting alone in a dressing room until one of them needed me to zip them up or take a picture of them. Of course, I didn't let it show at the time.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight but around age 8-14 I was a little chubby. In middle school my mom made me join the track team and I hated it. We were doing our warm up which was 2 laps around the track and I got the the stretch by the bleachers and there was a group of boys just hanging out there and one said "run fatty run". I was obviously struggling. That stuck. Also trying on swimsuits with my mom and her saying "these are for skinny girls" when I was trying on skimpy two pieces. She really didn't mean it be to hurtful but it was.