Why are so many women SCARED of weights? LMAO.

Options

Replies

• diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    From the women I know most assume that if you lift weights you'll bulk up and end up looking like a man. Unfortunately a lot of women have this mentality, not really getting the correct information.
  • TattedXMomXStace
    Options
    women associate eights with msucle head guys and think that if they lift weights they will turn into one of them. As we all know thats false. . . plus some women think that classes will help get the results they want where as some weight lifting needs to be done for certain muscles. I think it says more about you (for a woman) to lift weights then to do an easy class. Keep it up!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm opposite. I hate hate hate hate hate hate cardio.

I get exertion headaches really bad (to the point they can go into a full blown migraine).....so I usually take cardio easy.

Now on the other hand.....I love lifting weights.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Women should NEVER lift more than 3lbs or they will end up looking like men...

:wink:
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I started lifting almost a year ago. My skin is green, I regularly tear out of my shirts, and I'm prone to bouts of intense anger. *nods* :frown:

LOLOL!!:laugh:
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I started lifting almost a year ago. My skin is green, I regularly tear out of my shirts, and I'm prone to bouts of intense anger. *nods* :frown:

Hilarious!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm not scared of weights, I'm intimidated by all the muscular people who usually are in that area! I feel like I'd be in the way... or squashed haha. I also feel like I'd be judged if I'm not using them properly. I prefer classes anyway, cuz I need someone telling me what to do and kicking my butt to do it! I get more motivated that way.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    For me, it’s a matter of intruding on someone else's space and/or time.
    Since I don't know how to propperly use it, I stay away rather than ask. It the fear of the unknown.

^ and this!
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Why is it funny? I think like anything else it's just a matter of preference. I find it best to focus on myself and not worry about what others in a gym (who are there to better themselves) are doing. :)

This ^^^
  • randrews0407
    Options
    First of all forget the smith machines, they only limit your movements and you don't make full use of your muscles so you end up unbalanced. Squat racks are far more effective.

About your question, it is because of the never ending myth that weight lifting will turn a woman into a female Arnold Schwarzenegger. To make things worse, fitness magazines and media keep on preaching this false myth. Little did they know that a lot of hot female Hollywood celebrities such as Scarlet Johansson, Jessica Biel, Halle Berry etc. actually got their svelte bodies and awesome curves from lifting weights.

In my case, I squat and lunge a 75kg barbell (165 lbs.) and deadlift a 66kg barbell (150 lbs.) but I'm only a size 0-2 and don't look like those roided bodybuilders you see on fitness magazines, not even close.

I use the Smith to squat....just one of the variations. The weight you got up to lifting is awesome...jealous much.
  • louisvillejg
    louisvillejg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just curious…

At my gym I’m usually the only woman on the floor w/ weights, I’m the only one uses the Smith machine etc. All of the women are in classes (Zumba, Pilates…more Zumba). Guys are NEVER in classes (with the exception of the 2 or 3 that may go to the spin class). I don’t understand why classes (and the cardio machines) are always overflowing with women but it’s so rare to see one with a dumbbell.

Please explain.

Well, I am the only female in the weight room at my gym as well. I see a few on the smith machines sometimes, but I have been the only one who trains on free weights. I do my squats, deadlifts, o/h presses and bench on the power rack since I am by myself.

As far as why, I can say that on several occasions, men try to make sly/funny to them/breaking the ice? comments to me. Such as- "So I guess you are planning on beating someone up, eh?" or "You gonna start a competition? She's lifting more than he is guys!" or my FAVORITE "The bar alone weighs 45 lbs, you know, so...".

That is why we stay on the treadmill and smith machines. Because men have no idea that they should just shut the hell up and act as if I am just another person in there lifting. And we are already intimidated more than likely to step foot in the weight room where we really have never been welcomed. So who wants to put up with nonsense on top of it?

I hope this changes. Please ladies, join me!!!
  • When I joined a gym for the first ever time (I was 16) I was very scared of even considering going over to where the "big" guys were pumping weights staring at themselves in the mirror... Not only am I a shy person (before you get to know me) but as there weren't ANY women at all over there I just assumed that that was a "guy" thing to do. My personal trainer didn't even suggest using free weights during my sessions. She just got me on the treadmill, bike and a few of the weight machines but there was no "pushing to failure" with the weights - it actually seemed too easy it got boring. I felt very uncomfortable at that gym.

Now that I am older (24 this year!!! WOOT WOOT) and I know I won't look like those "big" guys, I will be joining a gym (with my sister and brother) and making sure I get some personal training with free weights!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have given up on trying to understand the behaviour of most women lol

I'm having enough trouble just trying to figure myself out. LOL I don't have the energy to spend on figuring out other women!
  • randrews0407
    Options
    I'm opposite. I hate hate hate hate hate hate cardio.

I get exertion headaches really bad (to the point they can go into a full blown migraine).....so I usually take cardio easy.

Now on the other hand.....I love lifting weights.

I enjoy both but I wouldn't stay on the treadmill for an extended period...I'd jog a few miles / alternate speeds and incline but after that...I hit the weights.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Anyone that is intimidated or has no idea what they're doing can usually get a complimentary session with one of the gym trainers to show them what the basics are. No honestly it's not my first choice, especially because I don't like the pushy sales "trainers" at a lot of gyms, but there is always an option of starting somewhere if you are really interested in getting into strength training.

I am a google freak on how to do everything and I used to have a personal trainer so between having sessions with her and looking up endless articles/exercises, etc etc I made up my own routine. There is also an app I was able to get on Android, I don't use it anymore, but it is called JEFit and it will give you a beginner routine and it has a little demo on what to do. If you don't like that exercise, you can sub it out for something else by picking that part of the body.

Anyway, I get bored easily and I honestly got bored with both cardio and regular strength training, so I'm all addicted to CrossFit at the moment.

I also noticed the group-chat thing, which someone mentioned a while back. I was attending an all-female gym for a while and most girls are there with their friends just there for a leisurely chat while half cycling on the bike. It's fine that you want to do that when you go though - it's your time :) But that could be a reason why they're not interested in the weights because it's social hour I guess idk.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Not every woman wants to lift weights, and that's okay.

BUT I do find it sad how many women in just this post alone who say they want to lift but are scared, nervous or intimidated. Do your research. Find a good plan like StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. IF you have any friends that know how to lift properly go with them (pay a quest fee or whatever at their gym if you have to), let them show you how. Or If you have the money hire a trainer who knows about heavy lifting (and thinks women should do it), ask them questions first, if they start preaching high-reps for toning, DO NOT hire them. Lastly if you can't afford/ find a trainer or a friend watch a ton of Youtube videos on form (the StrongLifts website and the summary here have good links, or google elitelifts, or Mark Ripptoe). Start really low weights, try to take peaks of yourself in the mirror to check form, or take a cell phone video and upload it to MFP for people to critique your form. Once you get you form right, start moving up the weights. Don't worry about what other people think (in life in general, but especially in the weight room). Chances are they won't pay much attention to you anyway.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    From the women I know most assume that if you lift weights you'll bulk up and end up looking like a man. Unfortunately a lot of women have this mentality, not really getting the correct information.

To give an honest answer, it's complex and compounded.

1) There's the above misconception, this is a very popular belief and it's perpetuated by the uneducated populous, fluffy magazines that have the newest workout bs that they're shoving down your throat to generate sales, latest and greatest tv shows that people actually believe (think that snake oil slinging Oz), and a miriad of other sources that people incorrectly depend on to be truthful and knowledgable who are actually driven by advertising, sales, or the best of intentions without really knowing what they're talking about or doing extensive research.

2) Lifting is not promoted for women in life or in sports (until you get to college). Growing up I was one of the only girls who opted in for weight lifting over basket weaving for phys ed, and everyone looked at me like I had 3 heads. The boys sports teams were taken in the "football gym" . . . that's what the weight room at my high school was called . . . the "football gym" while the girls sports teams were not. To note, this has made some progress but my niece is graduating from high school this year, she played basketball for 2 of her 4 years, and her team never really hit the weight room.

3) Because of #2, boys are taught how to lift weights. They're taught proper form, how to safely push limits, they're taught a variety of moves, how to log workouts, and science behind some of it. Lack of knowledge makes people shy away from something because you don't want to go in feeling like a fool.

4) Because even when you know what the hell you're doing you will inevitably have some douche bag with chicken legs come over and tell you that you're doing it wrong and you should be sticking to running, cardio classes, and yoga because they fall into the category of #1.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm not scared of weights themselves, I'm scared of lifting at the gym. I'm weak and feel embarrassed with my 5 or 8 lb dumbbells that I struggle to use for anything other than bicep curls. Watching dudes lift 10x or more more than me made me feel bad about myself. So I'd stick to the machines but didn't feel like it was a great workout.

Now that I let my membership expire and am working out at home, I'm back to using dumbbells and hoping eventually to get my form correct enough to use the weight bench and barbell at my house.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    What if I drop it on my foot?
  • randrews0407
    Options

Well, I am the only female in the weight room at my gym as well. I see a few on the smith machines sometimes, but I have been the only one who trains on free weights. I do my squats, deadlifts, o/h presses and bench on the power rack since I am by myself.

As far as why, I can say that on several occasions, men try to make sly/funny to them/breaking the ice? comments to me. Such as- "So I guess you are planning on beating someone up, eh?" or "You gonna start a competition? She's lifting more than he is guys!" or my FAVORITE "The bar alone weighs 45 lbs, you know, so...".

That is why we stay on the treadmill and smith machines. Because men have no idea that they should just shut the hell up and act as if I am just another person in there lifting. And we are already intimidated more than likely to step foot in the weight room where we really have never been welcomed. So who wants to put up with nonsense on top of it?

I hope this changes. Please ladies, join me!!!

Whenever you are new to gym you'll fear looking like a fool whether cardio or weights. You'll feel like everyone is looking at you, like you'd be judged and more often than not...people aren't paying any attention to you. When you first go to an aerobic dance class you can look like a fool because you are unfamiliar with the routine and steps but you'll get the hang of it and be in the front of the class before you know it. Same with anything, weights are no different.

When I first ventured into the weight section, I was immediately under observation...maybe guys stared and wondered WTH is she doing over here? But hey...guys stare at women provacatively girating their hips in the Zumba class too > and there is no shortage of women in there.