Unhappy at goal weight?

Options

Replies

• VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Try not to set your expectations so high. The number of people in this world who are 100% completely and unequivocally happy with their body is about....zero. I've seen people with flat stomachs, perfect arms, etc all talk about their future plans and goals for improvement. Nothing wrong with it - the desire to improve oneself is generally THE defining motivation for their work. Keep it up. If you've got 130lbs total to lose, at the very least you are going to make monstrous improvements in body composition AND in your health. Yeah, loose skin sucks but dying of a heart attack when you're 45 sucks worse. There are no downsides to losing weight like that.
    From here, I have about 65lbs to lose to my UGW, but Ive never been that weight so who knows if it's my true goal. I just have this mental block that if it's not exactly what I want, would it have been worth it?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I am 10lbs shy of my goal weight and honestly I do not see my body where I want it. The pounds on the scale is just a number, I won't be happy till I work my body out to where I want it in toning and muscle building. I've seen girls look better at 135 rather then 120 because of the work they put into their bodies rather then just weight loss. While I do have a number on the scale I want to see, I still will not be happy till I get my body where I want it.
  • Lovely_at_any_size
    Lovely_at_any_size Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Before and after pictures help!
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Once the weight is gone then it's time for yet ANOTHER decision. Are you happy just being smaller or will you be happy being smaller AND fitter, faster, leaner, stonger, more toned? I find just loosing weight to be boring and demotivating because I never really see a difference in myself. The only way I have seen a difference is by resculpting with weights after a signifant fat loss. Then bam! I am motivated! Once you reach your GW then reset your goals and keep going. Eventually you are bound to get to a place you are happy with and that will be all the motivation you need to not stray away in the future.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I know I won't be thrilled with myself at my goal, but I will be healthier and much better off than before I started.

Like was already mentioned...no one looks in the mirror and loves what they see...ok narcissus did...lol...but regular people all have flaws.

My problem is that when I was heavier, I thought I looked pretty good for a fat person. Now I think I look bad for a normal person. Ugh. I'm working on it...along with everything else. You can do it too!
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    Options
    Not that I'm anywhere near my goal yet, but I am currently almost 40lbs from my HW, and have been 25 lbs thinner than I am now, and even at that weight (175lbs-- 65lbs from HW), I didn't LIKE my body any more than I did at my HW. I have this fear that even when I hit GW, I'm going to be disappointed in the shape and proportions of my body. My hips are too wide, my calves have always been trunks, stretch marks and "pooch" from pregnancy that won't budge are all staring at me. This fear grips me and almost makes me want to say, "why bother?" If a 65 lb weight loss didn't help my perception of my body, is another 65 going to make me happy?
    Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone get to (or close to) goal and still find that weight hasn't impacted their feelings about their body?

I don't get posts like this. Why don't you just gain all your weight back?

I bet you weren't happy there either. There is nothing we can say or do that will change your body type. The issue isn't your "WEIGHT" people are always chasing a number on a scale. That scale means nothing. You're really chasing a look, not a number. I am pretty sure you would want a nicer physique last time you where lower on your weight. That is done by "RESHAPING" your body, you need resistance training.

She's not complaining, just asking if others feel the same way as she does. As a person who's experienced this, I can completely relate to how she feels. You don't relate to it, and that's ok, but you don't need to belittle someone for asking for support. And, no, it doesn't make me personally want to gain the weight back. It makes me want to get not only physically healthy, but emotionally healthy so I change how I perceive my body.:flowerforyou:

I understand what you're saying. I don't feel my post was belittling either. I am just trying to say "stop chasing a number. you're not going for a number you're going for a look."

I know a few friends who got to their goal weight but didn't like how they looked. People are chasing the wrong thing. I have a feeling these women expected to look more toned, and that's only done with weights.

When I'm on track, I work OUT. Not cardio 24/7 (I had knee surgery years ago that makes a ton of cardio difficult anyway), but I did not shy away from yoga, kettlebells, weights, and all of that--- I noticed abs forming and cuts in my arms, it was satisfying. Gaining back ANY amount of weight wasn't on my to-do list, but as we all know, these things happen. and they suck!
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    Options

I wouldn't start judging yourself now before you even get there! I'm sure you judge yourself enough in the present, let alone future you at the same time. Take it one day at a time. <3
    THIS means a ton to me, I needed to hear that, thank you!
  • greenchristine52
    Options
    You may be comparing yourself to people who have had plastic surgery, have been airbrushed or have damn fabulous genes. There are some things we cannot change and I'm not saying we have to like them, just accept them. If you are not nice to you, who will? I envy your weight loss and think it's wonderful the progress you have made. I wish I looked like you!
  • StampinJules
    Options
    Hello All! Go ahead and laugh if you like....I was watching the start of the newest Biggest Loser season this week, and though I disagree with MANY things about this "reality" (HA!) show, this week really put a label (for me) on the weight loss journey, or really what I call a healthy lifestyle journey. Basically, they were talking about the first week contestants are on the ranch, they not only have to endure physical 'giants' of pushing themselves and the pain from muscle overload. They are also faced with the emotional and psychological 'giants' that have kept them making the health choices they have made all their lives. These contestants are forced to face their 'giants' in a fire and brimstone fashion (for our viewing pleasure?!) We normal people at home, walking this health journey without the benefits (and negatives) of the BL ranch - are not forced to face our 'giants'. We have to CHOOSE to do so. Not an easy choice to make. Not an easy thing to do, especially when most of feel like we are suffering physically via denial of eating, and possibly pushing ourselves to exercise.

So, I agree with the others that said self-esteem is important. Ask yourself "WHY am I doing this?" Write down your answers. Then take an honest look at your answers. Which ones might fall into the category of 'materialistic', e.g. look good to others, sexy body, look good in a bikini, etc. (I am not saying these are negative. In and of themselves, they are not.) Which ones might fall into the "spiritual" category, e.g. I want to feel good about myself, I want to improve my health so I have energy and as long a life possible to be with my spouse, children, family. Recognize which things you wrote down are the ones with the most control over your health journey decisions. How much control do these items have? Do you need outside help dealing with some of them, to reduce their control? Maybe some outside counseling is what you need to go along with your eating and exercise plan - to help you find balance in your life overall. Some may not need counseling at all, some may need it for a short time in order to learn some new tools, others may need it more long-term as a main support on their health journey. There is NO SHAME in seeking counseling for yourself. Rather it is a sign of strength, to do so - realizing something(s) may be controlling you in an unhealthy way, and taking steps to break those chains.

Lastly, for me, my health journey is a faith aspect to the spiritual side of my journey. Do you practice any religion? Try returning your focus to your religious faith as you walk your health journey. I am a Christian, and practice Catholicism. My faith practices are KEY elements in the success of my health journey.

Thank you for your courage to share what you are going through. you reached out for outside help! Way to go! Hopefully you are finding support for yourself. You have also gifted others, experiencing the same issues, with support for themselves, through your sharing here. God Bless!
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    Options
    Before and after pictures help!
    I have one on my profile. It was a good pat on the back, seeing it that way...but I guess I'll have to keep going before I can "feel" it.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Try not to set your expectations so high. The number of people in this world who are 100% completely and unequivocally happy with their body is about....zero. I've seen people with flat stomachs, perfect arms, etc all talk about their future plans and goals for improvement. Nothing wrong with it - the desire to improve oneself is generally THE defining motivation for their work. Keep it up. If you've got 130lbs total to lose, at the very least you are going to make monstrous improvements in body composition AND in your health. Yeah, loose skin sucks but dying of a heart attack when you're 45 sucks worse. There are no downsides to losing weight like that.
    From here, I have about 65lbs to lose to my UGW, but Ive never been that weight so who knows if it's my true goal. I just have this mental block that if it's not exactly what I want, would it have been worth it?

I can assure you, it is worth it. Even though I have insane body issues, I know it is worth it. I will never go back to where I was. I may not feel great about myself all the time, but I certainly feel better now than then. It is COMPLETELY worth it!
  • orangefour
    orangefour Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I worry about this every day. I've lost a good amount of weight, but am still just as disgusted with my body. I worry all the time that I will feel this way at my end goal. I just keep hoping that as I get closer and closer to my goal I will feel better about my body.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the numbers on the scale don't mean much other than having a numeric goal to reach.

Most of us are actually shooting for fitness goals and/or a particular "look". None of us really know what the exactly weight will be when we reach there. The weight loss ticker of MFP is just a point of reference for encouragement. :)

I want to run a 5K (relatively) comfortably (training for a 5K 3x/week), have a better sense of following choreographed moves (I do Zumba 2-3x/week) and improved muscle tone (strength/weight classes 2-3x/week). When these goals have been accomplished, I'd like to maintain them and then build on them!
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    yes for me it's not about the number anymore but about how i look. strength training has really helped me feel better about how i look. same weight, smaller size in 1 year. amazing what it can do
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pics. Your shape is wonderfully feminine and people would give anything to have that shape. Lift weights if you want to improve firmness...
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I initially had my goal weight set to be 150lbs. I'm 5'9" and it seemed to be a healthy, not-too-thin, not-too-fat weight. I got there, and decided I wasn't happy with how I looked, so I continued to lose weight.

I ended up settling at 136 lbs. I've been maintaining that since June now and am really happy with my body. I'm 41... so yes, I have some 'wear and tear' from aging that's never going to improve or go away. But, I'm happy with my fitness level and appearance now.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think the media has given all of us unrealistic body expectations to live up to. For so many of us it's not a weight issue, but a self esteem issue. If you are consistently working at a lifestyle change you should pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
  • neighner9
    Options
    I mostly think this too. I was at my heaviest about 154lbs, i am now on average maintaining 125lbs. I have been mostly thin all of my life bit I stil lam not sastified with my body. Guess some us just never will be. Just have to hold our heads up and pretend we have all the confidence in the world. I bet any man would love our bodies, they don't normally notice all the imperfections that we do.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm anywhere near my goal yet, but I am currently almost 40lbs from my HW, and have been 25 lbs thinner than I am now, and even at that weight (175lbs-- 65lbs from HW), I didn't LIKE my body any more than I did at my HW. I have this fear that even when I hit GW, I'm going to be disappointed in the shape and proportions of my body. My hips are too wide, my calves have always been trunks, stretch marks and "pooch" from pregnancy that won't budge are all staring at me. This fear grips me and almost makes me want to say, "why bother?" If a 65 lb weight loss didn't help my perception of my body, is another 65 going to make me happy?
    Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone get to (or close to) goal and still find that weight hasn't impacted their feelings about their body?

Why bother? For health, longevity, energy, do it for your kids! Most of us are never gonna be perfect but healthy and fit sure goes a long way in my book. Why bother? Because being obese is better than hitting your goal weight and oh poor me I have stretch marks? Make this a healthy lifestyle for you and your loved ones!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people aren't all that happy with their composition once they reach their goal weight. I think a lot of people have it in their mind that once they get to that weight they'll look a certain way...when in reality, looking that "certain way" requires much more than losing weight and endless hours of cardio...it requires changing your composition which requires weight training.

I've seen some pretty awesome before and after pics of people who are at their goal weight but skinny fat in the before...and 5-10 Lbs heavier in the after with muscle and look much more awesome at the leaner, muscular and toned...but heavier weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!