Is DAIRY bad for your waistline/weight?

Options
So everyone tells you something different, but I'd like opinions anyways. I'm trying to change up my diet some, and I have added in a protein mix. I prefer the taste of it with milk instead of water, but if I'm really trying to go easy on the calories for the day, I will chug it with water. (Yuck!) My question is this...I don't eat a lot of dairy anyways, but I've been told a lot of dairy is bad on your waistline and will help contribute to belly fat. Has anyone else heard anything similar to this or can someone tell me the truth please...(and yes, I already add fruits to help make it taste better.)
Thanks! :)

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard the opposite, that diary helps your waistline (no science to back it up and right now I can't remember; I think it a commercial or some article I read). So...let's see what comes out here! Personally I prefer protein shakes with dairy too.
    Edited for spelling, damn fast fingers.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Calcium from dairy supposedly aids in fat loss from the research I've read.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    try unsweetened almond milk. I don't like it with water either but the almond milk I buy has 30 calories.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think calories are calories to a certain point, but you'll get a whole lot of conflicting answers here, I'm sure. Personally, I'm not afraid of dairy and eat my fair share, but I prefer to mix my protein powder with Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Only 40 calories in a whole cup and tons more calcium than cow's milk.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I eat / drink a lot of dairy.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk, can't tolerate it, I have recently been looking into going Vegan and watched a documentary called Forks Over Knives and there is compelling evidence in there not to eat dairy for many reasons. But everyone makes their own choices and it is all about moderation. I agree as well that almond milk is excellent in smoothies, I have it almost every day.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    You won't get a clean & easy answer on that question.

I for one continue to lose weight drinking organic milk, but I have really cut down on cheese. Cheese makes me feel heavy, and fart a lot. Very attractive.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Dairy doesn't do anything good for your body. Use it sparingly.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight, but it's terrible for your health.

Debunking the milk myth-

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Dairy doesn't do anything good for your body. Use it sparingly.

Oh please.....
    To the OP, dairy will only be bad for your waistline if you go over your calories and get fat...Otherwise its good...I eat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, other cheese and milk on a daily basis, and I have a waistline (not a bad one for an old lady either.....:drinker:
    Oh and I am as healthy as a horse - despite having had dairy all my life....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The 2 negative posts above are complete and utter nonsense. If you have a lactose issue, diary will cause bloating. Other than that, it is a great source of nutrients and is recommeded as a recovery beverage after exercise. Additional for those who weight train it has IGF-1 which aids in muscle development. Why the fear mongering and hating on dairy? Plenty of people include it in their diet and do just fine with weight control and heatlh.
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    if you get skim milk, its basically like water but with calcium and vitamin D
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Cheese
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    go see what JJ Virgin has to say about Dairy products! I recently eliminated dairy and 6 other foods she suggested to avoid and lost 7 lbs in two days! Check it out.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Low fat dairy is very good for losing weight. I lost 35 lbs while having dairy every day (low fat)

That being said: I limit my dairy now for other health reasons:

Dairy is a contributor to PMS which is a trigger to migraines for me...so I limit my dairy but I still have some (my diary is open if you want to browse)
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    oy vey
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    try unsweetened almond milk. I don't like it with water either but the almond milk I buy has 30 calories.

I haven't tried that...maybe I will. Thanks!
  • curvykim78
    Options
    You won't get a clean & easy answer on that question.

I for one continue to lose weight drinking organic milk, but I have really cut down on cheese. Cheese makes me feel heavy, and fart a lot. Very attractive.
    LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh today!
  • radradradradrad
    radradradradrad Posts: 101 Member
    Options

same here! Silk Unsweetened Original Almond Milk
  • curvykim78
    Options
    So everyone tells you something different, but I'd like opinions anyways. I'm trying to change up my diet some, and I have added in a protein mix. I prefer the taste of it with milk instead of water, but if I'm really trying to go easy on the calories for the day, I will chug it with water. (Yuck!) My question is this...I don't eat a lot of dairy anyways, but I've been told a lot of dairy is bad on your waistline and will help contribute to belly fat. Has anyone else heard anything similar to this or can someone tell me the truth please...(and yes, I already add fruits to help make it taste better.)
    Thanks! :)

Don't know if it matters or not, but it is 2% milk I use.