i feel like starting a debate. (no disrespect please)

Options

Replies

• darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Religion is like genitalia... it's fine if you have it, but don't play with it in public, and keep it out of my family's faces.
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I agree, keep it out of schools with one exception. if it specified as a religious school (catholic school).

This^

Since the country was built on a separation of church and state, keep it that way! You want religion in schools send your child to a school that is religion based!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Bologna.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents worth.

I think it would be great to teach (in public schools) some type of "comparative religion" class- not teaching religion per se, but teaching "about" different religions. That way we could all understand each other better. I am lucky to have friends who are of different religious beliefs - including devout Jews, devout Muslims, devout Evangelical Protestants, and avowed atheists. (I am Catholic.) I think it's good to talk to each other and learn from each other!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    This country was founded on "In God We Trust", it's on our money. To the non-believers I'm sorry you have to go through this.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    In before the lock AND in before the "INB4 lock" guy! Ha!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with religion being left out of schools, but where I do have a problem is that it only seems to be Christianity that is having to be left out. Recently our school board has agreed to allow Sikhs to carry their ceremonial daggers to school and for Muslims to be excused to perform their prayers. I have a big issue with the daggers but whatever, yet Christian children don't get the same treatment of being open with their religion and able to say prayer over their lunch in their cafeteria? Really Come On!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Alright....I give this thread until 1:40 central time.
  • p21usa
    p21usa Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I would like to know where everyone stands on this subject, just for fun.

I do not believe that religion should be in state run/government funded schools. The government should not be associated with any religion.

Private schools however, sure. If people want to pay to send their kids to a religious school, I am sure their god will provide.

"I do not believe Nike-branded (or any brand) clothing should be in state run/government funded schools. The government should not be associated with any product."

If you are going to make a logic argument...think it through.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    flan.png

that's waisis
  • GiantsGetDevoured
    Options
    Religion doesn't save us,Christ crucified and being resurrected for
    The salvation of our souls does. No amount of knowledge is more
    Important than that simple fact.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents worth.

I think it would be great to teach (in public schools) some type of "comparative religion" class- not teaching religion per se, but teaching "about" different religions. That way we could all understand each other better. I am lucky to have friends who are of different religious beliefs - including devout Jews, devout Muslims, devout Evangelical Protestants, and avowed atheists. (I am Catholic.) I think it's good to talk to each other and learn from each other!

My daughter attends a Catholic school, and many of the students aren't actually Catholic. They teach more of the theology behine certain religions and teach about multiple religions rather than just Chrisianity
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think a 'Religion Ed." class would be a great idea, learn about ALL religions and faiths, and not force or promote any of them
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Religion is like genitalia... it's fine if you have it, but don't play with it in public, and keep it out of my family's faces.

Hilarious!!!!
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options

This
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    This country was founded on "In God We Trust", it's on our money. To the non-believers I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Hahaha good job sir! That made me laugh!
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    So the topic of religion In schools is becoming more popular among many people (specificly christians from what I have seen. My stance is, "keep it out of schools, its highly disrespectful to people who are not one particualar religion". I would like to know where everyone stands on this subject, just for fun. Again, please refrain from being rude to one another
    Sincerely,
    Your favorite agnostic

I agree with you. Schools are not the place for religion of any kind.

Fellow agnostic
  • AnewTif
    AnewTif Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't mind some amount of religion, i.e. if they want to set a 2 minute period to reflect or pray. I don't mind my son learning about other religions, but I don't think religion should be taught in school unless it is a private school.

I know that when I was in elementary school and we had the Christmas program we sang "Silent Night" and "Hark the Herald" in the Christmas program but we also sang The Dreidl Song. They were part of the Season's celebrations and I don't really have an issue with that, but now those songs are BANNED at schools. LOL

I think people spend too much time worrying about Religion in schools and not enough time worrying about their child's education. That is far more important to me. I am all up in my son's teacher's business when it comes to my son's progress. That is FAR more important to me on whether or not my son's teacher is teaching about religion.

The only thing I have interfered on is when I wrote a note to his teacher after the Sandy Hook shooting and told him that we did not discuss this with our son as we don't feel he is emotionally mature enough to handle it and would appreciate it not being brought up in class. I also called the Principal about that.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    I would like to know where everyone stands on this subject, just for fun.

I do not believe that religion should be in state run/government funded schools. The government should not be associated with any religion.

Private schools however, sure. If people want to pay to send their kids to a religious school, I am sure their god will provide.

"I do not believe Nike-branded (or any brand) clothing should be in state run/government funded schools. The government should not be associated with any product."

If you are going to make a logic argument...think it through.

When did the government start using tax dollars to hand out Nike apparel, and why haven't I received any?
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    No religion in school. Simple as that.

If parents want their kids to be involved in religion then as parents they can teach them or take them to church.
This discussion has been closed.