Is DAIRY bad for your waistline/weight?

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Dairy is bad for you because it is FILLED with chemicals and is processed. Bad bad bad and I would personally say that yes it is bad for your waistline/belly. I follow a veggie diet and want badly to follow a vegan one although it is hard, now that i have limited dairy and only have ORGANIC dairy I have no been bloated or gaining weight in my belly

Curse that pasteurization!

All things are filled with chemicals. Chemicals are the building blocks of literally everything in existence in our world.

Natural black tea has over 200 different chemical compounds. FEAR IT!

(response meant for the first quoted post)

Yes I agree and understand- but there are still things that have more chemicals, are more processed than others. I personally don't eat anything that isn't in its natural form, boxed or canned ( I try my best anyway) Milk also has a TON of added sugar. I stay away from it for many reasons and have seen major changes just from not drinking it, while i did enjoy it and love the taste

Milk has lactose, a natural sugar. There is no added sugar in unflavored dairy milk, whatsoever.

The processing involves pasteurization and homogenization, which basically amounts to flash heating it to make it safe to drink, skimming off the fat, and mixing it up so it has a smooth consistency and doesn't separate. I'm not sure what you think is going on during milk processing, but whatever you think is happening, isn't.

uhoh! Here I go again with my weirdness... I agree with everyone above!

I would say milk has more chemicals due to the bioaccumulation of environmental toxins. In addition, any hormones or medicine given to the cows, or consumed in their diet, can be transferred thru the milk/meat to the consumer. In this way, I think it's fair to say that a plant based diet likely has less chemicals (because less bioaccumulation in plants than in animals). Maybe eating organic dairy helps with that but I don't think you can eliminate all toxins from an environment because it's being grown/raised organically (ex. some "organic" produce tests positive for insecticides because neighboring fields spray, the spray spreads, you get the idea (I hope)). ...Then again, you're likely to get more GMO from soy than you are from dairy.

Pasteurization is important to keep ya from getting sick. Yay! But it also destroys some of the good vitamins. Boo! But then they enhance the milk by adding vitamins back in. Yay! They do the same vitamin enhancment bit to soy milk. Yay!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    try unsweetened almond milk. I don't like it with water either but the almond milk I buy has 30 calories.

Ditto! I think it's better than regular milk in my shakes! :)
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Dairy is bad for you because it is FILLED with chemicals and is processed. Bad bad bad and I would personally say that yes it is bad for your waistline/belly. I follow a veggie diet and want badly to follow a vegan one although it is hard, now that i have limited dairy and only have ORGANIC dairy I have no been bloated or gaining weight in my belly

Curse that pasteurization!

All things are filled with chemicals. Chemicals are the building blocks of literally everything in existence in our world.

Natural black tea has over 200 different chemical compounds. FEAR IT!

(response meant for the first quoted post)

Yes I agree and understand- but there are still things that have more chemicals, are more processed than others. I personally don't eat anything that isn't in its natural form, boxed or canned ( I try my best anyway) Milk also has a TON of added sugar. I stay away from it for many reasons and have seen major changes just from not drinking it, while i did enjoy it and love the taste

Milk has lactose, a natural sugar. There is no added sugar in unflavored dairy milk, whatsoever.

The processing involves pasteurization and homogenization, which basically amounts to flash heating it to make it safe to drink, skimming off the fat, and mixing it up so it has a smooth consistency and doesn't separate. I'm not sure what you think is going on during milk processing, but whatever you think is happening, isn't.

uhoh! Here I go again with my weirdness... I agree with everyone above!

I would say milk has more chemicals due to the bioaccumulation of environmental toxins. In addition, any hormones or medicine given to the cows, or consumed in their diet, can be transferred thru the milk/meat to the consumer. In this way, I think it's fair to say that a plant based diet likely has less chemicals (because less bioaccumulation in plants than in animals). Maybe eating organic dairy helps with that but I don't think you can eliminate all toxins from an environment because it's being grown/raised organically (ex. some "organice" produce tests positive for insecitices because neighboring fields spray, spray spreads, you get the idea (I hope)). ...Then again, you're likely to get more GMO from soy than you are from dairy.

Pasteurization is important to keep ya from getting sick. Yay! But it also destroys some of the good vitamins. Boo! But then they enhance the milk by adding vitamins back in. Yay! They do the same vitamin enhancment bit to soy milk. Yay!

Just before any of my fellow Canadians freak out.

Canadian dairy products in Canada have no added hormones and Dairy here is really strictly controlled.

The states on the other hand are another thing. If I lived there I would be really careful about buying only organic dairy products.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/foodsafetynetwork/safety-canadian-milk
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how many of you that drink cows milk would drink human breast milk if it was available at the grocery?

I made the choice to use almond milk because I honestly like it better than cows milk. But I also will be first in line at the cheese platter or for a yogurt.
  • kaylacyr123
    kaylacyr123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That's great to hear about Canada. Since I am Canadian :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Just before any of my fellow Canadians freak out.

Canadian dairy products in Canada have no added hormones and Dairy here is really strictly controlled.

The states on the other hand are another thing. If I lived there I would be really careful about buying only organic dairy products.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/foodsafetynetwork/safety-canadian-milk

Right. But just curious, how many hormones do you think a nursing 2000 lb just-gave-birth cow has naturally? hehehe. As someone who was a breastfeeding mammal myself, I could speak from experience that it's raging post partum.

And canada can not legislate bioaccumulation out of the mix.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me to drink 8oz of chocolate milk after a work out for the protein! It's cheaper than buying a protein shake from a juice bar or Muscle milk.

Chocolate milk has been shown to be an excellent post recovery drink.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options

Right. But just curious, how many hormones do you think a nursing 2000 lb just-gave-birth cow has naturally? hehehe. As someone who was a breastfeeding mammal myself, I could speak from experience that it's raging post partum.

This is the first anti-milk post that has ever made me go, "Hm. Good point."

I love dairy - for the record, I'm not willing to go to almond/soy/rice milk with its carageenen and other artificial ingredients. I think milk is a major nutritional bargain.

That said, cows in dairy farms are forced to give birth to continue to produce milk. That is the dark side, and I don't even want to think about where all those weetle baby cows go....

...on that note!... now I have to abandon this thread, because I know one of you smart people are about to tell me.

I'll go for my saucer of milk, now....

abandon-thread.gif
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

This is the first anti-milk post that has ever made me go, "Hm. Good point."

I love dairy - for the record, I'm not willing to go to almond/soy/rice milk with its carageenen and other artificial ingredients. I think milk is a major nutritional bargain.

That said, cows in dairy farms are forced to give birth to continue to produce milk. That is the dark side, and I don't even want to think about where all those weetle baby cows go....

...on that note!... now I have to abandon this thread, because I know one of you smart people are about to tell me.

I'll go for my saucer of milk, now....

abandon-thread.gif
    Of the additives, carrageenan is actually just a seaweed derivative gum, it's not bad. It's extracted by boiling seaweed.
    But yeah,. I'll go with dairy milk.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

abandon-thread.gif

I LOVE THIS GIF.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good to know...thanks Bean! What the eff.....can't . come . back . here .
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I think there is far too much of this all or nothing mentality around, when it comes to food.
    Too many extremes.
    I think, like with most things, if you have too much, if might cause issues, but had in moderation and balanced out with other foods, it is fine.
    I don't have much milk, beyond what goes into a few decaff coffees or teas each day, but I do have a tub of cottage cheese and/or 170g of greek yoghurt every day. But that, as far as I know, is a moderate amount.
    One could find studies on just about any food, claiming it is bad, or good, so I have concluded it is better to just have everything food related, in moderation, provided there are no intolerances or allergies, and of course, provided you enjoy the food in question.
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking and eating FULL FAT dairy this whole time. Lost 30lbs and got to my goal weight fairly easily actually. There will be conflicting views on nearly everything. You gotta do what makes you feel good and healthy. If dairy hurts your belly, don't eat it. If you like it and you feel fine after consuming it, ya'know, I would go for it.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I think if you like dairy and want to fit it into your day, then do that.

It's never been bad for my waistline, but has been bad for my face and digestive system lol (yay dairy intolerance!)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I love dairy...I'm a dairy freak. I've had to reduce consumption though due to keeping a close eye on my sat fats...if it weren't for that, I'd slice off a big old chunk of sharp cheddar right now and wash it down with a pint of whole milk.
  • Emile_Jarreau
    Emile_Jarreau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Thought I'd throw my two cents in on this post. So...here it is. Dairy as we now see it in our local stores is mostly processed and not good for our body. ALL man made dairy is full of chemicals and flavoring to allow pasteurization and maintain shelf life.

For general health the micro-nutrients can be obtained from use of organic goat milk or yogurt like (http://www.redwoodhill.com/) and can be used daily for your diet.

When working with our bikini competitors and models prepping for photo shoots...the elimination temporarily of all dairy the last few weeks to reduce water retention for a photo ready look is a final step of a leaner "appearance" However, when event is complete, adding dairy back in is essential for preventing the typical blah boredom most peoples typical limited food selection process in the diet.

Getting to a particular weight for our body is one element...the other more important element is to reduce weight by losing fat...not the muscle...but the fat through increased understanding of nutrition and exercise to speed up weight loss.

When working with over weight population the importance of a well a balanced diet including dairy is recommended the same way...and along with helping to reinforce the understanding that when selecting dairy, go for low or full fat...not the non fat type . The saturated fat , along with the other essential fats are required to signal the body you've kept fat in the diet, while reducing carbs to also speed fat loss up. if the body "senses" the fat has been reduced to sub optimal limits...fat loss will slow to a halt.

It may even sound crazy to you...but I even have low fat cottage cheese on my favorite day of the week...."cheat meal" pancakes:)

If you have questions about detailed fat loss understanding please throw a question to me. I wont bore you with my back ground....take a look. I kind of work in the field a bit...OK (understatement) in the fitness field for 33 years.:)

Have a healthy New Year!

Emile, aka, Mr. Fat Loss
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Thought I'd throw my two cents in on this post. So...here it is. Dairy as we now see it in our local stores is mostly processed and not good for our body. ALL man made dairy is full of chemicals and flavoring to allow pasteurization and maintain shelf life.

For general health the micro-nutrients can be obtained from use of organic goat milk or yogurt like (http://www.redwoodhill.com/) and can be used daily for your diet.

When working with our bikini competitors and models prepping for photo shoots...the elimination temporarily of all dairy the last few weeks to reduce water retention for a photo ready look is a final step of a leaner "appearance" However, when event is complete, adding dairy back in is essential for preventing the typical blah boredom most peoples typical limited food selection process in the diet.

Getting to a particular weight for our body is one element...the other more important element is to reduce weight by losing fat...not the muscle...but the fat through increased understanding of nutrition and exercise to speed up weight loss.

When working with over weight population the importance of a well a balanced diet including dairy is recommended the same way...and along with helping to reinforce the understanding that when selecting dairy, go for low or full fat...not the non fat type . The saturated fat , along with the other essential fats are required to signal the body you've kept fat in the diet, while reducing carbs to also speed fat loss up. if the body "senses" the fat has been reduced to sub optimal limits...fat loss will slow to a halt.

It may even sound crazy to you...but I even have low fat cottage cheese on my favorite day of the week...."cheat meal" pancakes:)

If you have questions about detailed fat loss understanding please throw a question to me. I wont bore you with my back ground....take a look. I kind of work in the field a bit...OK (understatement) in the fitness field for 33 years.:)

Have a healthy New Year!

Emile, aka, Mr. Fat Loss

What about Fage greek yoghurt and organic/filtered milk ?

Anyway, I only have a tiny amount of milk each day, and usually a pot of cottage cheese or a small pot of greek yoghurt so I don't think I have too much to worry about :)
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I actually bought the unsweetend almond milk tonight to try it in the morning.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Have a healthy New Year!

Emile, aka, Mr. Fat Loss

And what exactly are all these flavorings and chemicals. Cause I'm looking at my carton of milk and all it says is Vitamin A and Vitamin D3 added. It is an organic milk that is hormone and anti biotic free. If you believe pasturization utilizes chemicals then you clearly do not understand the pasteurization process. Please identiy the chemicals and flavorings. Just as an fy, diary is not man made. It is a cow product. Seems to be a lot of misinformation in your post.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink a ton of dairy. I'm 5'9", 146 with a 30 inch waist that's almost flat and going to be a six pack someday. So, I would say no based on anecdotal evidence.

I would argue, barring a diet full of processed crap, (i.e. a diet mainly full of whole foods)that your waist line and fat percentages are dependent on your activity.