Replies

• piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    Clean your damn machine!!!
  • erniewebbiii
    erniewebbiii Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    If you want to say hello, awesome, say hello, but please do not expect the conversation to go much beyond that. I have 45 minutes to lift, it's a structured schedule, and I'm here to get my work it. If you want to talk for longer than a few moments, hit me up for lunch, send me an email or call me.

Also, don't grunt like a damn gorilla when you're lifting. Nobody's impressed with your one rep of 300 pounds. Well, I suppose if you curled 300 maybe.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    *Do work hard and keep coming back if you want to be noticed, respected and accepted. Do what you can and appreciate your Increased fitness as you continue to workout.
    *Don't wear perfume or cologne or tons of makeup to the gym. Don't leave hair, towels or tissues all over the counter in the locker room &/or in the shower. Loud screaming distracts others so please don't.
    *have fun and work hard
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    most of the things have already been mentioned (no cell phone, no hogging the machines, no staring, always re-rack the weights) so here's one a bit in the same category:

while you're at the gym with your friend (and it's great that you're doing this together! it gives both of you accountability for showing up) - please, please, please don't talk the entire time. If you're on a cardio machine and you have breath to chat you're not working hard enough. If you're doing weights and you're chatting go right ahead but please look at the clock too, your 90 second rest is not supposed to turn into 5 or 15 minutes. Not only are you sabotaging your own routine, you're keeping others from using the equipment. It's ok to split up to use the machines you want, you don't HAVE to stay side-by-side all the time.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    1. If I'm wearing headphones, it is for a reason. Do not try multiple time to carry on a conversation. You will continue to get one-word answers, and I will continue to ignore everyone in the gym. I'm there to work out and go home. I'm not there to talk about what I'm planning on doing that night or my "luscious long hair" (true story- creepy dude that hovers over women who lift. freakin weird).

2. It's cool if you work out with a buddy, but PLEASE... You don't need to hog EVERY dumbbell from 5lbs up to 40 lbs off of BOTH racks. If you really need that much equipment (which you don't), one set will do. You're switching back and forth with your sets anyways, dumbas$es. And don't give me nasty looks when I get pis$ed off that you're hogging every freakin free weight in the gym. I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling that way- I guess I'm just the only one who will make it known.
  • Kouch_ka
    Kouch_ka Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me smile.
    I have been working out at home lately and going to the gym on days I know I will not find the new years resolutioners there (like a friday or saturday evening). My gym is pretty small.

Common courtesy to me is if you are going to start coming to the gym.... Meet with one of the staff and let them show you the basics of how to use the machines. Especially if this is your first time at a gym.

I have a routine. I will go to another machine for the time being while you figure it out and look like you are going to hurt yourself because you are not doing it right. But, when I come back around and you are still sitting on the machine either on your phone or still trying to figure it out...that's when I get my mean muggin' face on. :grumble:
  • callumprice03
    Options
    ugh where to start...

My personal least favourite is stupid kids who come in a pack of 4 - 10 and stand around one thing talking and all using it for what seems like eternity.
    and dont even get me started on cockyass personal trainers who try to shove you off stuff because they have a client... or even worse, end up getting their clients to do massive circuits on multiple things and get ****ty when you just want to use one. Not an etiquette for new people thing but reading all these annoying things is getting me heated haha
  • dmh0204
    dmh0204 Posts: 81
    Options
    Here is a tip if you are trying out a class: Don't stand toward the back. Stand toward the middle. Because sometimes the whole class turns around in the course of an exercise, and guess what, newbie: you are now in the front of the class.

The pool is for exercising, not recreation or socializing.

Clean your hair out of the shower. I mean, seriously.

If you are on the cardio equipment and sweating profusely, use your towel (or your shirt) to wipe yourself down. Don't just allow your sweat to fling all over the person next to you.

If all of the treadmills are in use, then there is probably a line. Look around for it, and get in the back of it.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

I have weight lifting gloves, and i do use them, so don't give me the look of "why do you have those on along with a watch?" (my hrm is the polar FT 4). I also am new to lifting so stop looking at me as though girls shouldn't be lifting. :angry:

Lol, theyre judging the gloves, not you lifting. Get some chalk :wink: :tongue:
  • snowboardn
    Options

I have weight lifting gloves, and i do use them, so don't give me the look of "why do you have those on along with a watch?" (my hrm is the polar FT 4). I also am new to lifting so stop looking at me as though girls shouldn't be lifting. :angry:

Lol, theyre judging the gloves, not you lifting. Get some chalk :wink: :tongue:

If I like to wear winter mittens while I work out, get over it and pay attention to your damn self.
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't put your shoes under MY locker! Put them under your own locker.

So do you buy the lockers at the establishment you work out at????

People who think they are entitled make me LOL
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have a serious one.

Knock it off with the half-hour of ab exercises. There are WAY more efficient ways to spend your time at the gym if your goal is a smaller waistline- notably, lifting weights and cardio. I noticed last night there was a waiting line for the ab stuff, while the power racks and assisted chin up/dip machine were ignored except for the regulars I've seen there forever. Granted, I'm thrilled that the equipment I want is free, but feel like this ab-work PSA is necessary. Same deal for the yes/no machines.
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    Oh, one question. Who the hell works out in jeans.....with a regular belt???? Really? How
  • erniewebbiii
    Options
    Oh, one question. Who the hell works out in jeans.....with a regular belt???? Really? How

I've seen that and lifting in work boots.
  • trancenhouse
    trancenhouse Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I saw a guy workout in Pajama's. Not impressed. Haha.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

You don't need lower body mobility if you just show up for the brocurls.
  • erniewebbiii
    Options

Work boots, a work shirt and jeans, though?
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    If you are a true newbie, and you select the treadmill RIGHT next to mine, we are, in fact, racing. And I will win. And you might get hurt.

This. I was on the mill last week and this cute girl started right next to me. It was on like Donkey Kong! I lost. :sad:
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Don't let the regulars or the ultra fit people intimidate you.

You paid for your membership too!

Karen
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Work boots, a work shirt and jeans, though?

Meh, I try not to get too worked up about what other people wear as long as it's safe. Before long someone is bound to show up in this thread and start whining about chicks wearing makeup, like my not washing my face after work is really affecting them. I'm hoping the guy in the work clothes wasn't doing anything where his clothes would end up hurting him. Maybe he has steel toes on because he has a broken toe from dropping a dumbbell, and would feel silly if the outfit didn't match? lol. :laugh:

I do kind of crack up when I see middle aged dudes attacking the ellipticals in those sweat suits- the ones wrestlers use to drop water weight?

edit to fix quotes.