why do guys wear those workout gloves?

Options

Replies

• SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Guys buy workout gloves so I can make fun of them.... if you're a girl, or a male hand model,.... I'll give you a pass.
  • vcraver
    Options
    I do it for a couple of reasons, 1) To keep from ripping my hands, 2) Cause my weights are in my garage, and the bar gets cold in the winter, 3) I am old fashioned in I don't like to take my wedding ring off, so I wear them to keep from scratching my ring.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Had callouses on my hands so long, I don't know what I would do without them!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    No idea, I have 6 hard callouses which need shaving off every now and again to stop them from really hurting. I use chalk. That is all and I lift heavy...(not as heavy as those powerlifter peeps, but heavy for an average person)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Had callouses on my hands so long, I don't know what I would do without them!
    Agreed. As you can see in my picture. My hands are jacked the hell up. I wouldn't have it any other way. Other then Versa Grips, I go bare.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    knurling
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Its not to avoid callouses, but get a better grip.
    Deadlifting a couple hundred pounds, unless your grip is phenominal that bar wants out of your hands.
    I even have gloves with hooks built into the palms to help with that.

NOW....if you see a guy wearing them and he's not weightlifting, THEN its a fashion thing ;)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Its not to avoid callouses, but get a better grip.
    Deadlifting a couple hundred pounds, unless your grip is phenominal that bar wants out of your hands.
    I even have gloves with hooks built into the palms to help with that.

NOW....if you see a guy wearing them and he's not weightlifting, THEN its a fashion thing ;)
    When deadlifting, gloves are next to useless, IMHO. Nothing compares to straps or the versagrips.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I wear these:

http://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-Power-Womens-StretchBack-Gloves/dp/B000GDF36W

My weight room is the front hall/sunporch. It is cold out there in the winter and it's like the bar is made of ice. Plus it hurts less that way. I for one don't want callouses.
    But I don't give a rat's *kitten* if someone else uses or doesn't use them...why does it matter?
  • esquire9
    esquire9 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Maybe i dont understand this thread, i always use gloves while lifting mainly for better grip but also to avoid callous and blisters. Does having callous make you feel more like a man . Good luck to those who need that to remind themselves they are men.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    THE WAY I WORK OUT IS DIFFERENT FROM THE WAY YOU WORK OUT THEREFORE MY WORK OUT IS SUPERIOR TO YOUR WORK OUT THEREFORE I AM BETTER THEN YOU!!!!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves when I lift! It helps when your hands sweat, also on friction! And when you are doing push ups the padding helps cushion your hands! I wear them every time!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman and I've always worn them. NO. They've nothing at all to do with fashion. When you lift heavy, you need the extra hold you can get with weight lifting gloves. If you lift those silly little pink weights, you don't need them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Helps with getting a better grip
    Actually, gloves make your grip weaker.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman and I've always worn them. NO. They've nothing at all to do with fashion. When you lift heavy, you need the extra hold you can get with weight lifting gloves. If you lift those silly little pink weights, you don't need them.
    Gloves make your grip worse. They can slide, and they make the bar thicker, both of which so more harm to your grip than help. Straps are ok for grip, but gloves are useless.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Why are you concerned with what others choose to wear to the gym?
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My hands got ruined after 2 months of the gym. Now its gloves and lotion every morning & before bed. Nothing is more painful then having to type lines and lines of codes when hands are bothering you.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I need to wear them so the bars don't rip my hands up when I am doing pushups on dumbells... :bigsmile:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Maybe i dont understand this thread, i always use gloves while lifting mainly for better grip but also to avoid callous and blisters. Does having callous make you feel more like a man . Good luck to those who need that to remind themselves they are men.

No, I like having grip and control on the weights I'm lifting.

Wider the hand is forced to open = weaker grip.

Each to their own tho, I've no issue anyone doing anything they like.
  • Stace5
    Stace5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When i use thed cable machines either the rope or bar pinched at my hands, and allthough i can handle the weight i find myself stopping because otherwise my hands blister. Now i've started wearing gloves i don't get that problem, but i only use them for certain things.