• whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    thread_necromancer.png
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Exactly.

Cue this argument starting up all over again.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Now if you are wearing your gloves during cardio... you're a douche.

Like these guys?

http://www.psychowyco.com/id7.html
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Helps with getting a better grip
    Actually, gloves make your grip weaker.

Yes, the fabric magically weakens your grip.
  • lisa_lamb
    lisa_lamb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wear them cos my hands sweat loads and it makes it harder to grip the bar. Before I wore gloves I had to grip the bar harder due to the sweating, and my wrists and elbows would hurt. So gloves also help my technique :)
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't lift weights but I have callouses from cycling even though I wear gloves (for grip in summer, warmth in winter).
  • lmckillo
    lmckillo Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well... gloves prevent callouses and it gives you better grip as your palms don't sweat. Whether you are a man or a woman, callouses hurt, ripping the skin off you palms suck. Also there are many nerves that run in the middle of the palm of your hand. The gloves prevent squeezing of the nerves. Too much squeezing of the nerves may cause carpo tunnel. If you notice they are designed similar to bike gloves which serve the same purpose, preventing pinching of these nerves and added feature of comfort. And.....they are cool as hell
  • lmckillo
    lmckillo Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm actually looking into buying gloves because my boyfriend recently gave me a special ring :happy: and it pinches when I grip equipment.

But I don't mind callus

Don't wear the ring well working out...take it off and leave it in locker or at home. Much more comfortable without the ring.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves, because the bars hurt my palms if I don't. My wedding ring pinches really bad when I grip, and I don't like to take it off. (When it's on my finger is the only time I can know fore SURE it wil never get lost) They also give me a better grip. Plus they just look badass. :happy:

I would assume guys who choose to wear them do it for similar reasons.
  • _Thanatos_
    Options
    For me, I wear them because heavy weights tend to dig into my bare fingers and it hurts. Not a fashion thing at all.
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Exactly.

Cue this argument starting up all over again.

oops i didnt know it was so controversial, ive already posted in a couple of recent glove threads.
    FWIW, heres my 2c:

after i'd been gymming for a little while i got some gloves to stop my hands getting cut up by dumbells, and after i started "lifting heavy" i wore them for about 6 months, mainly, bc i didnt want callousey manhands, and they helped me grip better when my hands got sweaty (and i actually thought they were kinda cool - short finger black leather, awesome!). i still had some little callouses, although you could hardly notice them doing day to day stuff.

eventually, even with the gloves, i couldnt get past about 3-4 reps of a 100kg deadlift. i used to complain and look for complicated answers, while people far more knowledgeable than me cried "chalk! chalk!". and still i resisted, and still i complained.
    i still didnt want callousey tradey hands and i didnt want to look like a douche at the gym carrying my own chalk around.

eventually i gave in, switched to chalk and my deadlift started moving again. chalk is now on my list of things "i wish i had done earlier". i wish i could go back in time and slap myself for being so silly and stubborn. i would love for everyone to know there is another option. if people want to stick to gloves, no problems. ive been there, i was you. if youre training at a place that bans chalk, its probably off limits anyway unless you can get away with some of the liquid stuff.

but after all that, i dont have callousey manhands, they are not rough or scratchy. i look after them so they dont get too big and/or rip, i have a pumice in the shower and file them down a couple of times a week when my hands are soft from the water, its painless and takes about 30 seconds. for the most part you wouldnt know i have any callouses, except after heavy deadlifts they will come up a little bit and be a bit red. they are certainly not any bigger than the callouses i had while i was wearing gloves.

while gloves give the impression of "helping grip" with sweaty hands, they are actually worse for gripping - while your sweaty hands are not slipping on the bar, they are slipping in the glove a bit.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm a chick and I love my callouses. Gloves are for wimps!
    Ronnie Coleman would like to have a word with you.

I don't wear gloves regularly, I have a pair that I wear when my callouses rip. At the end of the day, who really cares...
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    Using gloves is no different thank using straps. If you hands are that strong and tuff don't use them. Must be using lite weights.

Truth.

tumblr_m1rnakFQte1qejf6ho1_400.gif

please tell me more about what its like to be a girl

Any gif from BSG wins the thread. It's a rule.
    ^^^
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    They don't want to hurt their delicate little paws...
  • Trainypooh
    Trainypooh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To prevent calluses and probably because of professional reasons. Many men are entering occupations that may be considered generalized more towards women. (example include massage therapy, nursing, occupational therapy). I'm assuming for professional reasons like working with clients and having to make physical contact during therapies is a possible reason for men wearing gloves.

I am a graduate student pursuing my masters in occupational therapy and I do NOT wear gloves when i lift. I am considering them however, to soften my hands and prevent future calluses. that is my opinion.

Oh, and I think the half fingered gloves are useless. I would invest in full weight lifting gloves. For right now though, I do rely on the use of wrist straps to get a grip when doing heavy weights.
  • bigdaddyfluff
    bigdaddyfluff Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's so they don't develop calouses. Isn't that what women want in a man? Big muscles and soft hands. And a fanny pack. Gotta have the fanny pack or the gloves just look rediculous.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    ronnie+coleman22.jpg
    Only scrawny *kitten* use gloves/straps.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Obviously female here, but I think I'd still wear gloves if I were male. Those all-metal free weights dig into my metacarpals during certain movements, and metal on bone hurts.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Didn't used to. But as you age the fat padding in both palms and heels tends to go away. (Why fat leaves there and wants to move to the waist, I'll never understand. Guess the same reason it leaves your head and moves to your ears...) Regardless, now that I'm in my 50s, sometimes I need it just for the cushioning of my palms. Bar on bone sucks.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When deadlifting, gloves are next to useless, IMHO. Nothing compares to straps or the versagrips.

Straps are for sissies