why do guys wear those workout gloves?

Options

Replies

• Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    ronnie+coleman22.jpg
    Only scrawny *kitten* use gloves/straps.

OH HELL YEAH! RONNIE COLEMAN BABY!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Helps with getting a better grip
    Actually, gloves make your grip weaker.

Explain your magical theory of fabric
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    Because most guys don't get enough from their women
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I wear weight gloves. I got enough calluses in gymnastics as a kid. Even just lifting a bar or dumbells a few times brings them back quick. Dislike! So I bought a good pair about 8 years ago (and still use the same pair). I think I get a better grip too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Guys buy workout gloves so I can make fun of them.... if you're a girl, or a male hand model,.... I'll give you a pass.

Cocky guys from SoCal that lift light weights exist so i can mock them. So, thanks!
  • bbuff101
    bbuff101 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The main point is that they're in there working out, and not on the couch. I don't wear gloves, but I used to for wrist support during heavy bench and also for sanitary reasons. Think about all the germs in a gym...
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Because those damn bars hurt your hands otherwise?

Exactly. When I lift heavy it hurts my hands and makes it hard to hold my grip.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I haven't read all 10 pages but my son moved to University. He lifts daily and got a couple warts on one of his hands. The Doctor treating him said most likely they were picked up at they gym ... advised him to wipe down the bars before lifting and to wear gloves.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    You obviously don't work very hard in the gym if your so focused on the guys wearing gloves... Why does it matter?

I wear gloves for more reasons than just calluses (still get them) including better grip, less contact with equipment that everybody else has had their sweaty palms on, etc. I never even notice that my bf wears them until seeing this thread. He is still successful and competes so why the heck would it matter? The weight still weighs the same....it is still the same motion. So what if they person doesn't want even more calluses or wants to get a better grip in order to get a few more reps in?

You guys and your fixation on being 'manly' is sometimes just ridiculous and makes you look silly.. Stop worrying about what others are doing or wearing in the gym and focus on your own workout and clothes.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves because I don't want to leave fingerprints behind.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves because I don't want to leave fingerprints behind.

/thread
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy but I wear them for two reasons... easier to grip the weights and the ivknfactor of touching germ invested equipment. I wipe down the equip anyway but it gives me piece of mibd.
  • Juggernoobs
    Options
    I don't wear them...I probably should, I have massive callus's on my hands where I list weights.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    because i want my hands nice and soft for when i go over to your mommas house.
  • hollietkac
    hollietkac Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it looks badass and want to get a pair :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I think it looks badass and want to get a pair :)

So get a pair. they're like, $8 at modells.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    I was all about the no gloves-calluses thing for a long time. Until last winter when I was doing dead-lifts and some blisters developed on the first set. I went ahead and did the second set and not only did the blisters pop, but the bar damn near tore the top layers of skin off my hands....I wear gloves now and don't give a **** what anyone thinks about it. And I still have calluses.

Your calluses ripped because you didn't keep them filed down. There's no reason to wear gloves, they actually hinder your grip by making the circumference of the "bar" thicker. I pull over 300kg with no gloves and don't have problems with calluses tearing because I use a pumice stone on them in the shower.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I was all about the no gloves-calluses thing for a long time. Until last winter when I was doing dead-lifts and some blisters developed on the first set. I went ahead and did the second set and not only did the blisters pop, but the bar damn near tore the top layers of skin off my hands....I wear gloves now and don't give a **** what anyone thinks about it. And I still have calluses.

Your calluses ripped because you didn't keep them filed down. There's no reason to wear gloves, they actually hinder your grip by making the circumference of the "bar" thicker. I pull over 300kg with no gloves and don't have problems with calluses tearing because I use a pumice stone on them in the shower.

a pumice stone??

is that before or after you shave your legs?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Wear them or don't wear them. It's your business.

I like man-hands with scratchy callouses, and I have sensitive skin. It's my "thing" I guess. But I don't like bleeding holes where callouses get ripped off. Guys should just do what they want and lift what they can.

I don't care about whether women wear them. Honestly, I don't think I lift heavy enough to need them. They only seem really necessary with dead lifts anyway.
  • Loftearmen
    Options

a pumice stone??

is that before or after you shave your legs?

Lol, the man who's too puss to lift with his hands cracks a shaved leg joke... priceless.