What was your "fat" breaking point?

Options

Replies

• slimsummerr
    Options
    My sister and me are six years apart and I'd always been the 'thinner' one I guess, always around two stones lighter than her. She had a beautiful baby girl in December 2010, and in the last year lost just over 4 stone/60 pounds and at present is even lighter (by two stone) than she was pre-pregnancy. We went to a family friend who's a photographer to take our annual family photo, and an off comment was the realisation. He said something along the lines of 'I guess you're the heavy one now, people might think you've had the baby!' in a jokey manner, and the photo at the end of it just showed how much I had gained in the space of a year, which upset me. I looked like a whale next to my now tiny sister! It pretty much kick started my diet, and I am hoping to lose a good amount of weight by our christmas photo this year!

33586479.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kitty_764
    Options
    The point for me was when I stared to avoid having pictures of me taken...even with my 2 kids....and when I started to feel self conscious....I used to be nice size 10-12 before having 2 children...after fist child I went to size 14...not after second size 16!!!!!! I want to cry just thinking about it.....I refuse to stay this way...no way no how!!! I am doing this...if it kills me....(I hope it doesnt).....LOTS of encouragement needed here....

I avoid pics too, and it kills me that my son who is 4 will look back and hardly see a pic of his mama in the thousands of pics we already have. That and starting arguments so I don't have to go out, I can use the excuse of "Im mad at you" just because I feel disgusting and I don't want anyone to see me.
    I made the really bad mistake of buying a scale at my last attempt a few years ago, I stepped on it and I thought I was less than what it said on the scale, and that very second I almost felt that switch turn off, even thought I felt on top of the world, and I was almost back in my "skinny" jeans, I lost all motivation and went into a funk.

It SUCKS and I'm sick of it too! So I hear you loud and clear! High five! Good luck and whatever you need to do to stay motivated - DO IT.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My breaking point was pretty bad. I hadn't been eating right in the least and I just felt like crud. It was right before bed. I had these weird pains in my body, and I thought for sure I had contracted one of the many health problems my parents have gone through over the past two years. That wasn't quite the bottom line for me. I thought it was similar to what my dad had, an aortic dissection. I didn't think I had it necessarily, just that I was on my way to having it. I felt so horrible, I prayed to God that I would be able to wake up the next morning. I didn't think of it then, but the next morning.

I was literally scared of dying in my sleep, so much, that I prayed I would live to see another day. I knew right then and there, it was time for a change.
  • WorkinNurse
    WorkinNurse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think when I had lost 47 lbs, plateau'd then quit smoking. Gained back 25 lbs. Had been so happy about being able to cross my legs easily , had to buy new thinner clothes and now find clothes are not comfortable at all and I am not comfortable in them! Cannot wear the jeans I had... Had to buy up to a larger size!. Decided that now I could add exercise to the dieting and changing the lifestyle this year. This year "I" am going to be my focus. I am a nurturer caregiver and tend to not nurture myself. This year is MY year!!: :happy:
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    When jogging hurt my knees and I never got to the "effortless running" point. It was all painful huffing :-/
  • ray_daluvly
    Options
    Being a 30 year old military momma! I want to be able to serve my country and play with my little baby boy. Who's only 4 months old today, but i def dont wanna be that girl a year from now talking about it's baby weight! That excuse only goes so far! and im ready to stop wearing my maternity clothes! My reg clothes are too tight and maternity clothes are saggy, but i refuse to buy the next size up! THIS WEIGHT HAS TO COME OFF! i will not commit to being plus size!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    my mom saying, you're not a teen anymore, you can't eat whatever you want and be thin.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I made a new (male) friend in college. We bonded over his ex/my roommate at the time who was more than a little nuts. He bought a new camera and one of the first pics he took was of me. When he posted it to his Facebook, one of his back home friends commented "Who's the fat *****?" and I saw it before he could remove the comment. I stopped getting heavier, but I didn't start losing until a year later, when I lost 60 lbs.

I plateaued/maintained for my senior year and the first year working after that. In October 2012 I realized I was miserable with every aspect of my life: I hated my job, felt like my brain was dying from disuse, and was ashamed to be intimate with my boyfriend. I quit my job and started blogging and jogging. I'm now trying to lose the last ~40lbs for my 25th birthday at the end of June! Had a little setback in December when I had an emergency appendectomy on Christmas, but my surgeon just cleared me to start doing light exercise. I've always known weight loss to be diet+exercise, so trying to do it on diet alone has been SUPER frustrating. But I'm happy to report I've lost 8lbs since the surgery, and MFP has been great for staying on track, even though I've only been here a few days. I'm also in a weight-loss challenge on a car forum competing against all guys, and I wanna kick butt!
  • carolinelittle
    carolinelittle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a key moment that saw me start this, apart from it being 2013 and I thought no time like now. But a few years ago I had to get off a full rollercoaster ride because the bar would not click in because of my tummy. :( And to make it worse I had stood there watching others go on, looking for bigger people and comparing myself to them to ensure I might fit.
  • jillvalentine
    Options
    When I looked at the scale and cried. Sad but true
  • starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I opened the bathing suit I ordered on line and in the package were free samples of chafing cream!
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    When I looked back on one of my photos from a year ago and realized that I had a double chin! That was my breaking point.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there was one moment specifically. Since my second child was born I have been blaming every photographer (family and proffessional) for taking pictures that made me look fat, rather than admitting that I never left my materniy size. And, those clothes were getting tight. So, I decided to get through Christmas (although I did give away most of the cookied I'd made), and as of Jan 2nd, found this site and off to the races I've been.
  • bverk
    bverk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When my doctor told me "you are obese and need to lose weight", I always thought i was stocky...lol. Thank God for a doctor who says it like it is !:smile:
  • danacg1
    Options
    Me, my son, and my husband were watching one of the X-Men movies. The one where one of the mutants was this HUGE fat guy. If my memory serves me, his name was the Blob! He was boxing someone and he had a ton of rolls of fat all over his body. My son turns to me and says, "Hey mom, that guy is allot like you!" Well, as innocent as the comment was coming from my 6yr old son, it still felt like a knife through my heart! So here I am. Hopefully I can stick with this. I just started two days ago. Wish me luck! :)
  • Frostygirl2790
    Frostygirl2790 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When my dad and I were going through pictures and I asked him who this fat person was because you couldn't see her face and when I looked at him a tear fell from his eyes and he said honey that is you. I was over 300 pounds and never saw myself like that. So years ago I lost over 100 pounds with weight watchers, and if some may recal Richard Simmons tapes. I kept it off for some years, and then life style changes and stress and other things and my bad habits returned.
    Have 70 pounds to loose this time if a number is of importance. All I want though is to feel good, and be healthy, so I can be here for my daughter. I know now that I need to have a nutriional aspect of this weght loss journey, so I went to a nutritionist and am now taking things one day at a time and setting goals. The thing she suggested is support, so here I am reaching out to others who are probably in the same situation as myself. I do not want to have surgery some of my friends have had that, I just want some permanent life style changes, and I know this time is different. So heres looking forward to my lifestlye journey to become a healthier me.
  • dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, really. I'm not really even sure that I've hit it. If I'd hit it, wouldn't I be better motivated than I am now? :/
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    a fat lady in Costco asked when my baby was due......
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Everyone always told me how skinny I was, and I believed them.

But then my doctor said I was pre-diabetic and my blood sugar was crashing all the time. I couldn't keep up with my friends while doing anything active, and often had to stop teaching in the middle of class to eat an emergency snack because I was sweating and shaking.

After some research, I discovered I was almost in the obese category. I learned what it really meant to be healthy and will always strive for it.
  • johnnygizmo
    johnnygizmo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Looking at some photos of myself last summer I realized I didn't look I thought I looked like. It was time to take matters seriously, so I'm kicking my own tail.