Read your labels!! GROSS!

Options

Replies

• Christabelle79
    Christabelle79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Guess Spam is out of the question....................................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Spam, rice and eggs!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:heart: :heart: :love: :heart: :heart:
    Favorite Comfort Food!
  • mrdjmo
    mrdjmo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Chicken Skin is fine
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Chicken was the meat that I had the most difficult time giving up. Skins were my favorite part of the chicken.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I don't read labels. You can scare yourself out of eating even the healthiest foods. Ignorance is bliss.

Which is why my favorite food group is bologna.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to make a more concerted effort to read food labels -- not just the general nutrition information, but the ingredients as well. ALL of the ingredients.
    One of my potential choices for lunch today was soup. Aside from sodium, the overall nutritional information looked pretty good. Then, I read the ingredients.
    What does that say? Chicken skin....? :noway: Yes, that's right. Chicken SKIN! In my soup!
    GROSS!!! :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Something like that might actually push me considerably closer to the idea of eating clean. No surprise animal "parts" in something that is whole and unprocessed, right? I guess I'll think about that some more when my appetite returns.
    If you're that freaked out by chicken skin, you might want to consider vegetarianism. Seriously. It has nothing to do with eating "clean". "Clean eating" has to do with eating more whole foods, and no processed foods. A whole chicken with skin on is actually "cleaner" than a nice hygienic package of skinless, boneless chicken breasts.

I guess it's a shock if you're not familiar with how commonly chicken stock is used in soups, but that could be avoided by eating vegetarian soups.
  • Joyness316
    Options
    Guess Spam is out of the question....................................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Spam, rice and eggs!

IDEA Fitness member

You must be from Hawaii or at least have ties to the islands! I am from Oahu and just you saying spam/rice/eggs combo makes me wanna run home and make some NOW! But, not in the budget right now....
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I see using all of the chicken (skin & all ) but the skin is where all the fat & calories come from. So I would like to think you chill the stock & remove the fat from the top. Right?:noway:

That's how we always made it at my house. At least that's how my mom taught me to do it. Simmer it all for hours, strain, refrigerate, skim off the fat layer and tada. If you wanted, you could even warm it up a big more and strain it through cheesecloth but that's just a little too much.
  • mcflat29
    Options
    I don't read labels. You can scare yourself out of eating even the healthiest foods. Ignorance is bliss.

Which is why my favorite food group is bologna.
    :happy: Gotta have a bologna sandwich every once in awhile. And when you do have it, it's paradise. :glasses:
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I would eat just about anything if it tasted good and wasn't harmful....I mean, canebelism isn't even off my list....

DA *kitten*? :noway:
  • mcflat29
    Options
    I would eat just about anything if it tasted good and wasn't harmful....I mean, canebelism isn't even off my list....

DA *kitten*? :noway:

Tastes like chicken... :laugh: :laugh:
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to make a more concerted effort to read food labels -- not just the general nutrition information, but the ingredients as well. ALL of the ingredients.
    One of my potential choices for lunch today was soup. Aside from sodium, the overall nutritional information looked pretty good. Then, I read the ingredients.
    What does that say? Chicken skin....? :noway: Yes, that's right. Chicken SKIN! In my soup!
    GROSS!!! :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Something like that might actually push me considerably closer to the idea of eating clean. No surprise animal "parts" in something that is whole and unprocessed, right? I guess I'll think about that some more when my appetite returns.
    Seriously? You've never had the skin off roasted or fried chicken or something?? What an odd reaction to chicken skin.
  • Joyness316
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You must be from Hawaii or at least have ties to the islands! I am from Oahu and just you saying spam/rice/eggs combo makes me wanna run home and make some NOW! But, not in the budget right now....

Yep, part Hawaiian transplanted to the Pacific Northwest; miss home on a daily basis even though I've been gone so long. I did actually check out the nutritional label on the spam thinking well....maybe....but NO. Too many calories and junk to spare those calories. Shucks!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Better not learn what Jello is made of -

boiled bones!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I do believe chicken skin would be considered clean.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Chicken was the meat that I had the most difficult time giving up. Skins were my favorite part of the chicken.

why would you give up meat!!!! That means giving up BACON!!!! and bacon is DELICIOUS.

And yeah- I don't understand the over-reaction.

Skin is nommmy
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    First World Problem Award!

Right here.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yep, part Hawaiian transplanted to the Pacific Northwest; miss home on a daily basis even though I've been gone so long. I did actually check out the nutritional label on the spam thinking well....maybe....but NO. Too many calories and junk to spare those calories. Shucks!

Debating on making spam/egg musubi tomorrow or kimchee fried rice with spam. Decisions, decisions.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ Love making my own stock. It does wonders to food!!!

^^ That's on my list of cooking things to learn. I am still buying chicken stock at the store.

Here's an entry in my hobby cooking blog for easy homemade chicken soup starting with leftover chicken. You can even start with leftovers from a rotisserie chicken from the deli counter. And, yes, in goes the skin, bones, and all to start. Try that and then you can move on to making stock in bulk and keeping it in the freezer to grab at a moment's notice.

http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/03/22/chicken-soup-youll-never-eat-canned-soup-again/

And, no, my blog is not trying to sell anything.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hmm...OP has not tried to defend her outrage at chicken skin. Perhaps she has seen the error of her ways...
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    When I eat fried chicken (maybe twice a year), I usually eat the skin and throw out the rest :laugh: