What's the skinny on squats?

Options

Replies

• ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Most of what I've seen in friends (and myself) who have increased in size has been due to increased eating to "fuel" the "extra" activity - a tiny bit of it is muscle, and most of it is fat. Squats build muscle, they don't necessarily remove fat. Removing fat is done some with cardio and mostly with meal planning (diet). Since it's hard to change what you eat, but not what you do if you're already in the gym, it's much easier to blame squats and strength training on large dimensions than it is to fix the diet.

This is the problem when people do things for appearance. Performance and health (how you feel) are much better indicators of fitness than "looks".
  • jamiesdreyer
    Options
    The question is, do you want to have nice, firm legs and a perky, round, firm butt? If the answer is yes, then you need to squat. You'll never really know what they do for YOUR legs until YOU try them.

I recommend beginning with goblet squats using either a kettlebell or dumbbell. Keep a proud chest and let your elbows glide along the insides of your knees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKCDeuhtcMk
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Honestly. Going through these forums drives me crazy, how true is it that squats bulk up/make your thighs larger? I always thought muscle build was dependent on the diet we eat, I'm already eating at a deficit. The squats/lunges I do are part of JM. I have 25/24.5 inch thighs and 38''hips. (I know, humongous). I don't expect to reduce more than 2 inches on them because even if I lose weight all over it's very difficult for me to lose there.

But I love the squats and lunges. I'm more used to cardio so the strength training seems like a challenge. Is it okay for me to continue with this or am I really at a risk of growing larger thighs? I'm a pear.

Thanks in advance!

"If you're not squatting, you're not training, period."- Mark Rippetoe
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Honestly. Going through these forums drives me crazy, how true is it that squats bulk up/make your thighs larger? I always thought muscle build was dependent on the diet we eat, I'm already eating at a deficit. The squats/lunges I do are part of JM. I have 25/24.5 inch thighs and 38''hips. (I know, humongous). I don't expect to reduce more than 2 inches on them because even if I lose weight all over it's very difficult for me to lose there.

But I love the squats and lunges. I'm more used to cardio so the strength training seems like a challenge. Is it okay for me to continue with this or am I really at a risk of growing larger thighs? I'm a pear.

Thanks in advance!
    Since Dec 18th I've been doing 90 squats, 60 lunges (on each side) and 60 mountain climbers every few days with 10lb barbells. I was not trying to lose weight and was not on a calorie deficit (in fact I've been devouring Christmas) and mine did not get any larger (in fact I just measured them for you). I've been on a calorie surplus and have gained 10 lbs in the past few months and my thighs are the exact same width (21 inches)
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!
    Since Dec 18th I've been doing 90 squats, 60 lunges (on each side) and 60 mountain climbers every few days with 10lb barbells. I was not trying to lose weight and was not on a calorie deficit (in fact I've been devouring Christmas) and mine did not get any larger (in fact I just measured them for you). I've been on a calorie surplus and have gained 10 lbs in the past few months and my thighs are the exact same width (21 inches)

try switching the weight and number fo reps ;)
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I currently squat 155 lbs. I can crush a skull with my thighs . . . . but only if I'm in the mood. :tongue:
    :drinker:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've graduated from the leg press machine (230 lb, 3x10) to squats with dumbbells (starting slow for now with just 35 lb in each hand). My thighs have lost an inch in circumference since I started this---currently at 22 inches. I have the same hip circumference as you, 38". HTH,
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

try switching the weight and number fo reps ;)

Thank you for the advice (seriously, so many people think things and keep quiet). I should, I want to. There's issues with that right now for the moment (which is a story for a different thread). But I intend to if I can eventually. As for now I'm doing the Spartacus workout socially with some new friends.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I once tried REALLY hard to gain muscle. I ate 3000 calories a day, lifted using a hypertrophy program (one designed for gaining muscle size and not just strength). I am naturally pear shaped (meaning I store most of my excess fat in my hips and thighs). I did this for 4 months. I gained 10lbs. I started squatting 65lbs and ended up about at 95lbs (in those 4 months).

So just how many inches did I gain on my already big thighs? ONE. ONE inch was gained on each thigh. They went from 23" to 24".

***I can now squat 135lbs and my thighs are still 24".
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would still do squats. I think my legs look bigger since I started squats and lunges but I think that's because I've been building muscle and not losing fat. I already know it's my diet and that I eat too much even if most of it it healthy food. I have been eating 2200-2400 cals a day and gained 1/2 inch in each thigh. I need to eat at about 1600 right now to torch some fat! What sucks for me is that the intense strength training makes me VERY hungry everyday and I'm eating way more then I should right now. Maybe I can maintain at over 2,000 cals but for the last 6 months of eating that much, it's done nothing for me!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Squats or not. I think the take way here here is that: No man or women just work up one day and said "Aw crap I got too big". It takes years of hard work and a nutrition plan (surplus). Just squat !! Throw in a dead lift or 2 :)

Remember if you train for PERFORMANCE, the appearance will take care of itself.
  • jtmacri1
    jtmacri1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Squats are amazing. I have been a Personal Trainer for 7 years and managing personal trainers for 3. If you aren't squatting then you either have an injury, Handicap or a terrible workout program. Keep in mind that most people probably won't need to add much weight for either. Most men and women won't be able to bulk their legs up to a gross looking level without trying extremely hard to do so. Fat is larger per pound than muscle tissue and also tends to look unattractive. I am yet to see a pair of fit legs that aren't to die for.

KEEP SQUATTING!!!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    How important is it to squat with weights (especially if you are already 30/40 lbs over weight)?

added: I'm not using weight. I do 3 sets of 15, it burns a little but I don't get to that "failure" stage)
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Only important if you want to get stronger and increase your bone density more
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've been squatting once or twice a week since August, (Just increased it to 3 times a week.) have been in a caloric deficit the whole time, and increased my 1 rep max by about 75 lbs. My thigh measurements have gone down, as I've reduced my body fat down by 15%.....and I have testosterone.

As long as you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose size. Squatting, heavy, will help you maintain muscle mass as you lose fat.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i currently do lunges 3 sets of 15 with a 40lb bar on each leg. EXHAUSTING :bigsmile: i also do deadlift 3 sets of 15 at 40lbs. and my flat butt is finally startin to take shape! my legs are looking faboulous! I love love LOVE squats and lunges.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    well, Tara Reid is only 37 and hers looks worse..
    TARADIMPS.jpg

do-squats.jpg

just sayin..

That girl has my dream butt!!!! (Tara Reid...blech!)
  • Imasummerbug
    Imasummerbug Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Estrogen keeps you from bulking up. Once you are past menopause, you might have a little problem, but otherwise you should be fine.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    well, Tara Reid is only 37 and hers looks worse..
    TARADIMPS.jpg

do-squats.jpg

just sayin..

That girl has my dream butt!!!! (Tara Reid...blech!)

Mine too!
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    They will ultimately make the muscles bigger if you do lots and particularly if you use weights, but your diet helps rid you of the fat surrounding the muscles, so the measurements should either decrease or stay about the same. The muscles in my thighs are currently as big as they have ever been, but my thighs are the smallest they have been since I was in 7th grade. Keep doing the squats. If when you are satisfied with everything else they still seem too big, then you can decide whether you want to stop or just add enough cardio to break them down a little.

Thank you! This is an honest post not sugar coating anything!

I stopped doing squats once I had desired muscle (actually a little more than I wanted) and now use the elliptical to maintain my legs and to keep them lean without bulk.