• nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    to be super macho... and still have baby soft hands at the same time... lol

If they lift heavy they help.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Try doing high intensity exercises like burpee pull-ups and you'll buy gloves the next day. Also great to grip weights when your hands get sweaty. Oh yeah, they match my purse too...err, my gym bag. :tongue:
  • MbiggsHFD319
    MbiggsHFD319 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys and gals....callouses from weight lifting not attractive. Show me a guy or gal with callouses on their hands from days of real back-breaking labor that's sexy. I have more callouses on my hands than most guys I know but not from my weight lifting. I always wear glove in the gym. Helps me get a better grip plus they way mine are they give me some support to protect my wrists against injury.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Lol, the man who's too puss to lift with his hands cracks a shaved leg joke... priceless.

pwnt
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Lol, the man who's too puss to lift with his hands cracks a shaved leg joke... priceless.

pwnt

damn.

anyone have a first aid kit. i need some burn cream.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    27244579.jpg

annoying-gym-newbies-meme-generator-wears-gloves-squats-5c2b88.jpg

Best. Ever.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I must protect my delicate gaming hands. How can I own noobs with callouses?!
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    I must protect my delicate gaming hands. How can I own noobs with callouses?!

i take back my previous \tread and now give this post

\thread
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Personally I use them for grip and to keep my hands "normal". In my job I shake hands with clients and stakeholders so having "man hands" would be inappropriate.
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Guess for the grip. My hands tends to sweat a lot and I also play the viola. My teacher who also lifts told me to use gloves for better support to the wrist and also to keep me from slipping due to my hands sweating.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    weird i am not a guy yet i wear gloves when i lift... i must be doing something wrong~
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Personally I use them for grip and to keep my hands "normal". In my job I shake hands with clients and stakeholders so having "man hands" would be inappropriate.

A You can't really feel calluses on people's hands unless they are peeling which could be prevented

B If they did notice, they would know you were the dominant male
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I didn't wear them for the first year. My hands look worse than my husband's now. I just got a pair. They are so Purrrtttyyy. They match my shoes. ;) On a guy, I think its up to them. But no way I'd let my husband rub rough hands all over me. Find some freaking lotion!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    its hot.
  • enhance00
    Options
    When I was starting out in the gym, I had a bit of a sissy moment and bought some gloves because the bar hurt my hands (I had dainty computer hands). I tried them one time in the gym and they were an absolute nuisance. Hindered my grip quite a bit. So I manned up and dealt with the pain.

My hands callous now, and I typically just tear them down in the shower when they are softened a bit. It keeps them from getting out of control.

As for needing better grip for heavy weight... that is what chalk or straps are for.
  • jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    it's a personal choice. i wear them sometimes...sometimes i don't. i also use straps and chalk. it doesn't matter what you wear...what matters is that you get the work done. gloves are not a fashion statement. why do some people listen to music when they workout and others don't? it's a choice. i'm in there to workout for me..not what others maybe be doing or thinking about me.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I only used to wear them because the bar at my gym was so over used, that with the combination of sweat I kept losing my grip. They have all new equipment and bars now so I don't use them.

The gloves I did use had wrist support with them as well, which was helpful when I would get wrist pain pressing.
  • HondoAce
    Options
    P.S. Skin is an organ.
  • DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I was all about the no gloves-calluses thing for a long time. Until last winter when I was doing dead-lifts and some blisters developed on the first set. I went ahead and did the second set and not only did the blisters pop, but the bar damn near tore the top layers of skin off my hands....I wear gloves now and don't give a **** what anyone thinks about it. And I still have calluses.

Your calluses ripped because you didn't keep them filed down. There's no reason to wear gloves, they actually hinder your grip by making the circumference of the "bar" thicker. I pull over 300kg with no gloves and don't have problems with calluses tearing because I use a pumice stone on them in the shower.

a pumice stone??

is that before or after you shave your legs?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL \O/
    BWAHAHAHA....

By the way, i have them on my hands from working on cars, not lifting, sorry i dont think the musclebound ****heads that think their "man hands" make them deserve respect just from lifting a barbell, which they don't.

Okay, I'm done....
  • REDROBE_69
    Options
    I wear them. Excellent grip for my PULL UPS!