Protein farts!

Options
If you eat a lot of protein, odds are you know what I'm talking about. That disgusting, foul smell that can clear out a five mile radius caused by a high protein diet. At first I thought it was the dairy (whey protein) but then I went vegan and switched to a vegan protein powder, yet the problem persists.

Does anyone know how to reduce the potency of this legendary gas?

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    nope I eat a lot of protein and they are typical farts nothing special
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I blame it on the dog!! :blushing:
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Excess nitrogen and sulfur will always cause this problem. Some people use activated charcoal to reduce this issue. It certainly works in chemistry lab and in kitty litter.

You can get activated charcoal in tablets at many pharmacies.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    My husband HATES the fact that I hit my protein macro.
  • bubbajane54
    Options
    Beano
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Be proud and revel in the awesomeness :laugh:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    just walk away from the area very quickly!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Had that today! hahahaha

Yup, always get it. but I need the protein
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Hazard of a high protein diet. My boyfriend is like, OMG STOP! But then I tell him that's how I show my affection and not to resist my methane cuddles. Then I give him a romantic dutch oven and slap him on the *kitten*.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think your body will get used to it. I eat a lot of protein, and do not have this problem! :drinker: :drinker:

Thanks for the chuckle :laugh:
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Hazard of a high protein diet. My boyfriend is like, OMG STOP! But then I tell him that's how I show my affection and not to resist my methane cuddles. Then I give him a romantic dutch oven and slap him on the *kitten*.

hahahahahahahahahaha :laugh:
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    from experience, protein does not cause extra farting.....

carbs produce sugars and they are what make gas.....according to my doc.....

when i eat carbs i fart...when i cut the carbs and eat good protein, they gas almost goes away....

you eat high protein, how much carb are you eating a day?????

just curious....
  • MaxlacusNight
    MaxlacusNight Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Gas-X works pretty good too lol :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Beano
    This. There is a generic form available at GNC. :)
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I recently went vegan too and had more gas than usual, and I think it's an increase in the fiber/protein. But I'm realizing i'm actually intolerant to sesame, and that's what is doing it And I eat more sesame now that I'm vegan. :X My dietician suggested I get papaya enzyme. Apparently you can get it at Whole Foods, but I found it on Amazon. Check it out! :)
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Natural yoghurt will keep the good bacteria level high and they will digest your food appropriately. The gas is as a result of the digestion of the protein.

Are you eating too much protein?
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My dear and excessively beautiful wife can empty a room better than any man or dog I've known. I asked her just last week speaking of her *kitten*..."How can something that beautiful produce that horrid smell." She just smiled and walked away and left me another "gift".

She and I both eat super healthy. Ahhhh, a blessed marriage.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Ooh hey you're in Rockville! I'm in Kensington. What do you say we *reads topic* oh god. Uhh, I'm late for a thingie.

mm5go.gif
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    from experience, protein does not cause extra farting.....

carbs produce sugars and they are what make gas.....according to my doc.....

when i eat carbs i fart...when i cut the carbs and eat good protein, they gas almost goes away....

you eat high protein, how much carb are you eating a day?????

just curious....
    I eat around 100g of carbs a day which isn't that much, no super low but definitely not high.