I Eat Fast Food and It's Ok

Options

Replies

• slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I wish McDonald's sandwiches tasted as good as it smells. I'm always disappointed. I WANT to like it. And why can't their fries taste good 30mins after they've been fried? It's not even like they don't taste AS good...they go from tasting delicious to tasting like cardboard!

... i think thats because their actually more cardboard then food
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why I'm supposed to care what someone else eats? Not my body, not my business.

so you can judge them
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why I'm supposed to care what someone else eats? Not my body, not my business.

so you can judge them

judgemental_lamp-205923.jpg
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

you like eating garbage. Great, you win.

I think the problem you are having with here is the word "garbage"

this is a highly subjective term that is completely based upon your thoughts, feelings, and emotions regarding food and YOUR relationship with food. It has nothing to do with the food itself. You have decided that certain foods are garbage and that is fine. BUT.....

but but but...that is YOUR OPINION, FEELING and EMOTION.

it does not make the food transubstantiate into garbage and it does not allow you to try and shame others into feeling that because YOU have decided the food is morally inferior that these people are thus morally inferior for enjoying it.

Food is a fuel, all food at the base heart of it, is a fuel...and thus, if you choose to put a food into your body that fits your macros then there is nothing wrong with that food.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying it and there is nothing wrong with loving the hell out of it.

Now...to flip it...because obviously if you are allowed to project your moral superiority regarding food on to other peoples practices and relationships with food.....

I ask you...what is that garbage you are putting in your mouth....

cause I dont like your food, I don't have a good relationship with YOUR food and I feel morally superior to your food choices...hence whatever you put in your mouth (and I don't care what it is...) to me...it's garbage...

feel better? I hope so.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation. Eating fast food for most of your meals is literally going to kill you from the inside out.

What you eat does not determine when you die.

Tell that to my brother who died of a heart attack at 24 years old. His veins were plugged from high cholesterol.

Not joking.
    Not responding to any smart *kitten* troll responses to this.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    If one more person bad-mouths pizza, I swear to god!

I hit my macros & calorie goals every day this week.

Ate both pizza and chocolate every day this week too!

Also had some rum, some soda, ravioli, toast, and a *kitten* ton of coffee :)

Eta: also had a *kitten* ton of collard greens. Yummmmmm.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    LOLz
    Scared of fat, eh? Sounds legit.
    I had 3/4 of a pizza and cheesecake for dinner. I eat a half pizza at least once a week.
    A) I am surely rotting on the inside.
    OR
    B) I'm actually really healthy, strong and pizza-fueled for an awesome run tomorrow.

I have low cholesterol, low blood pressure, healthy digestion, dense bones, a high LBM, lots of energy, no diabetes or insulin resistance, a high VO2max, good CV endurance, and I've been able to get off depression medication in the last year. There's even some anecdotal evidence that increasing my fat consumption has helped my underfunctioning thyroid- though I would not be so bold as to say that there's direct correlation there.

I'm leaning towards B.

ETA: I also put tons of salt on everything I eat, including pizza. You didn't mention the sodium, but I have a feeling you have problems with it, too.

Well, erm.. that's great... I guess?

Kind of feel like I'm being laughed at here, which isn't exactly fair. Maybe I'm wrong.

To many people, especially myself, junk food and fast food alike aren't worth it. When I was over 200 pounds, I did not care what I ate. My favorite thing was a big mac from McDonalds, and I had that whenever I felt like it. Pizza and wings a few nights a week with my boyfriend, endless call of duty, and all it came to was a huge gut and feeling like a buffalo. Sure, I could eat half of a pizza in one sitting, but to me it's not worth killing myself over at the gym to burn all of those calories off. I enjoy eating fiber and lean protein, portioning it throughout the day so I never feel hungry and turn to chips because that's my absolute favorite thing to eat. If I were to have my big mac meal (clocks in at around 1200 calories, 150 less than my target) then I would have no room in the day to eat chicken, tuna, whole grain rice, hummus, etc. It would literally be the only thing I can eat that day, except for my exercise calories that normally equates to 400.
    Maybe I came off as rude in my previous comment, which I really don't see, but to me, junk food is just that. Junk. If I want to lose weight and maintain my body, I have to do the opposite of what made me fat. That, for me, is to steer clear away from all of this crap.
    Anyway, my homemade hamburgers and such taste better than what I can get at these burger joints anyway, so I'd rather those.

Also, somewhere on this thread I think someone might be accusing me of calling someone 'obese', which I actually didn't write. Want to clear that up, too.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    just destroyed a burger king philly chicken sandwich.

550 cals. awful, right?
    54 carbs
    25 fat
    30 protein

and, sure, it was 75 cholesterol. but the 3 fried eggs I had this morning were 645. so, on balance, I think that's probably OK.

oh, and even with the medium fries, I've got 200 calories to play with for a snack later.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I had 3 Double Decker Taco Supremes for lunch

1050 cals
    42g protein
    120g carbs
    48g fat
    21g fiber
    2010g sodium

I would be lying if I said that these fast food threads didn't inspire my choice of lunch today.... :)
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You trouble making glutton. You will weigh 10 lbs heavier tomorrow! All fat of course.

Great now I want Taco Bell....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    LOLz
    Scared of fat, eh? Sounds legit.
    I had 3/4 of a pizza and cheesecake for dinner. I eat a half pizza at least once a week.
    A) I am surely rotting on the inside.
    OR
    B) I'm actually really healthy, strong and pizza-fueled for an awesome run tomorrow.

I have low cholesterol, low blood pressure, healthy digestion, dense bones, a high LBM, lots of energy, no diabetes or insulin resistance, a high VO2max, good CV endurance, and I've been able to get off depression medication in the last year. There's even some anecdotal evidence that increasing my fat consumption has helped my underfunctioning thyroid- though I would not be so bold as to say that there's direct correlation there.

I'm leaning towards B.

ETA: I also put tons of salt on everything I eat, including pizza. You didn't mention the sodium, but I have a feeling you have problems with it, too.

Well, erm.. that's great... I guess?

Kind of feel like I'm being laughed at here, which isn't exactly fair. Maybe I'm wrong.

To many people, especially myself, junk food and fast food alike aren't worth it. When I was over 200 pounds, I did not care what I ate. My favorite thing was a big mac from McDonalds, and I had that whenever I felt like it. Pizza and wings a few nights a week with my boyfriend, endless call of duty, and all it came to was a huge gut and feeling like a buffalo. Sure, I could eat half of a pizza in one sitting, but to me it's not worth killing myself over at the gym to burn all of those calories off. I enjoy eating fiber and lean protein, portioning it throughout the day so I never feel hungry and turn to chips because that's my absolute favorite thing to eat. If I were to have my big mac meal (clocks in at around 1200 calories, 150 less than my target) then I would have no room in the day to eat chicken, tuna, whole grain rice, hummus, etc. It would literally be the only thing I can eat that day, except for my exercise calories that normally equates to 400.
    Maybe I came off as rude in my previous comment, which I really don't see, but to me, junk food is just that. Junk. If I want to lose weight and maintain my body, I have to do the opposite of what made me fat. That, for me, is to steer clear away from all of this crap.
    Anyway, my homemade hamburgers and such taste better than what I can get at these burger joints anyway, so I'd rather those.

Also, somewhere on this thread I think someone might be accusing me of calling someone 'obese', which I actually didn't write. Want to clear that up, too.

For starters, I know you had nothing to do with the obese comment, that was someone else and it was bizarre and I know you didn't say it.

Re: your reasons for not eating junk: That's all fine, your choices are your choices. I was responding to the part of your quote that I bolded:
    Staying within your calories is fine if you have a pizza, but for 40 grams of fat and all the other awful things that come with it.. yeah, you can be 'small' but you'll be rotted on the inside.
    Where you insinuated people that eat pizza are rotting on the inside. I eat a lot of pizza. I am not rotting on the inside. That was my point.

I just finished dinner- guess what it was? Yep, pizza.
    1,120 cals, 40P, 116C, 56F
    I'll credit you, I worked out hard today, ran 7 miles. I understand that not everyone wants to do that. It affords me some nutritional leeway. But the point is, the rotting on the inside comment is pretty baseless.
    And, I already made this point, but I ain't scared of no fat- I actually think it's beneficial.

Context and dosage apply here to everything I'm saying. A full diet of pizza would be unhealthy.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Once a month I need my five guys cheeseburger..I don't love their fries so I skip them..but I do love the peanuts and eat a lot of them..I fit it into my day..(except the other day because the turkey meat went bad we were supposed to have for dinner ) I still lost 1.5 pounds this week. I don't like McDonalds they changed their food and their fries are yucky now..
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You cannot take my curries away from me! NEVA!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I simply prefer to deter from meeting my macros or having a cheat day with homemade pizza, enchiladas, or ice cream instead of anything at a fast food place...simply because I think the food tastes better and I don't have to worry about sanitation issues or what teenagers or pre-releasers did to my meal for fun. I'm not saying everyone who works in fast food does that but I have known lots of people who have worked in fast food, and they assure me my fears are warranted. Overall I think most fast food is just gross and it makes me feel lethargic...however, if I'm hungover or have been drinking all bets are off, my concerns are forgotten, and Taco Bell is totally happening.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    From Mcdonalds.com/nutrition:

Egg McMuffin® 4.9 oz
    (138 g) 300 110 12

300 cals, 110 fat cals and 12 g fat

could do much worse when on the run.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    haha i'm proud of myself for staying out of this thread like i said i would. looks like its been fun without me. :tongue:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    But P.S. I do think eating fast food regularly is morally wrong. It's bad for our small family farms, uses way more fossil fuels than eating locally, contributes to the use of antibiotics and hormones in the food system, etc. So if all that is good with you on a regular basis, go for it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    But P.S. I do think eating fast food regularly is morally wrong. It's bad for our small family farms, uses way more fossil fuels than eating locally, contributes to the use of antibiotics and hormones in the food system, etc. So if all that is good with you on a regular basis, go for it.

I think you should look more in to the fossil fuel part of that argument, specifically the energy usage of transporting foods vs. growing in local greenhouses in climates that don't support year round growth.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

In Australia, fresh food is not taxed..one of the many reasons I prefer it..sticking it to the man. But, coach I got what you said about compound interest. Wish I'd have got it at your age. Even though i ate healthy and would have reached my macros etc..i ate a lot of junk too. When i started, i didnt worry about calories...i just cut out all the crap processed stuff (which also i realised aligned with my principles) and lost 16kg...granted less cals a factor too.. But i also read somewhere that some obese people are malnourished and it was a liight bulb moment as well as my doc saying at my age everything starts to break down. I decided there and then i had to make nutrition count and began training as well to see me through to grandchildren. I get arthritis..haven't had a flare up in
    months until I ate pizza (and a week of slightly increased processed foods...there's an accumulating effect - sometimes the reaction
    is not instant). I was reminded how powerful food was to the body regardless of calorie allowance.

It's ok saying well I eat junk etc but follow it up with how hard they workout too at least so the full picture is there. When they start
    out..it confuses the hell out of someone who is just beginning and makes them feel crap about making a good choice about
    gradually eating cleaner. Some people don't want to work their butts off in the gym so eating predominantly clean is better surely
    considering they don't have leeway?
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

"Morally wrong?" :huh:

And the computer you typed this on was made locally? It wasn't transported using fossil fuels and was constructed of 100% organic materials, right?

Didn't think so.

Morality doesn't have any bearing on what *I* eat, but you're entitled to your opinion.

ETA: BTW, there are lots of fast food places that use locally-grown produce -- Chipotle and Panera Bread are two I can think of without using my Google-fu.